Cleaning Machined Wheel Lip

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
BlueCrush

Cleaning Machined Wheel Lip

Post by BlueCrush »

I need to clean the silver machined lip on my Hot Wheels. There is some rust and a minor pitting also the clear coat is flaking in some spots on the lip. What would be the best way to clean them up as much as possible? I know they won't be perfect but I would like to at least get the rust off of them so they look halfway decent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Here is a pic from when I bought them (used):
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
KNINE

Re: Cleaning Machined Wheel Lip (BlueCrush)

Post by KNINE »

I really like that wheel design. I think most aftermarket wheels are tacky, but those look really good. I have no idea how to clean them.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
BlueCrush

Re: Cleaning Machined Wheel Lip (K-NINE)

Post by BlueCrush »

Thanks...lol. Anyone have tips or tricks to cleaning the lip?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

May I suggest a call to the Tire Rack to see what their people have to say about it?They might have just such an aluminum polish/cleaner that will do what you want. But then of course you will have to consider having them professionally refinished. Anything you do with a rattle can is liable to look like crap and/or allow infiltration beneath it which will only start the cycle all over again. At least a professional refinisher should offer a warranty against further damage... for a time.Nothing is forever... especially where cars are concerned.BTW: Those are some good lookin' wheels ya' got ther'.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

hey brian. yeah those are suweet looking wheels.i've heard aluminum foil really cleans chrome. not sure what 'machined lip' is but you could maybe try using a clay bar? it picks up the little grit on the body paint and leaves it smooth... maybe it will work on the wheels. i took a wire brush to mine last year and just today. not sure if you'd want too.'good luck
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
BlueCrush

Re: Cleaning Machined Wheel Lip (06pvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »May I suggest a call to the Tire Rack to see what their people have to say about it?They might have just such an aluminum polish/cleaner that will do what you want. But then of course you will have to consider having them professionally refinished. Anything you do with a rattle can is liable to look like crap and/or allow infiltration beneath it which will only start the cycle all over again. At least a professional refinisher should offer a warranty against further damage... for a time.Nothing is forever... especially where cars are concerned.BTW: Those are some good lookin' wheels ya' got ther'. Thanks, I was thinking of some sort of polish, just not sure if I should use abrasive or non abrasive. Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »hey brian. yeah those are suweet looking wheels.i've heard aluminum foil really cleans chrome. not sure what 'machined lip' is but you could maybe try using a clay bar? it picks up the little grit on the body paint and leaves it smooth... maybe it will work on the wheels. i took a wire brush to mine last year and just today. not sure if you'd want too.'good luckThanks, I don't think I would go as far as a wire brush but I was considering steel wool if a non-abrasive or abrasive polish didn't do the job.....? I think I'm going to wait for more feedback before doing anything.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

The clear coat on wheels will not stand up to anything that you have to scrub. ie steel wool Your best bet is to take them off the car and clean them on the bench with a good wheel cleaner and a childs tooth brush. Some scratch fix and wax may help. The clear coat on the wheels is similar to that on your car. If they are to bad for you, you may have to consider getting them re-cleared. The guy that I have gone to charges about $60.00 per wheel and he cleans all of the old clear off. If you want to try touching up the clear SEM makes a wheel clear that I have used in the past with decent results.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I'm no expert but I would guess that if its a highly polished surface, a non-abrasive would be the way to go. If a brushed finish, it probably won't matter as long as you follow the lines of the brushing treatment, like going with, instead of against the grain of the wood in woodworking.Is this only happening at the lip of the wheel? And if so, how would you blend in a new top coat? The clearcoat on wheels is usually pretty thick from my experience and would be very hard to feather in a new topcoat w/o stripping the whole wheel and starting over?Another thought I had was stripping them completely and having them powder coated? From what I know of it, and depending who does it for you, it can be very reasonable or quite expensive. You might have to shop around for the best overall deal.This process also adds some weight to the wheel which is always something I consider when choosing new wheels, but may not be as important to you.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM