Engine Cleaning?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
MichaelUhl

Engine Cleaning?

Post by MichaelUhl »

Never really thought of cleaning my engine, but i figured after i do some mods with it, it better look good and clean. Any suggestions on what to use, and where to use them?(I dont want to spray 409 on the headers and then have some sort of crazy fire later when driving lol!)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...latedthanks guys, keep it real
2009 2.4l Pontiac Vibe
star_deceiver

Re: Engine Cleaning? (MichaelUhl)

Post by star_deceiver »

I'm sure that meguiars makes something for it!http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/...10801
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibenvy

Re: Engine Cleaning? (star_deceiver)

Post by vibenvy »

Every time I wash my Vibe, I use a damp microfiber towel to wipe down the engine bay (including the underside of the hood, cowl panel, etc.). Every so often I use a little Mother's Protectant (interior cleaner/moisturizer) on the hoses to keep them from cracking. That's pretty much it. If your engine is really dirty, I would recommend just using some good old fashioned elbow grease. I have never been a fan of spraying anything on the entire engine bay and than spraying it off with a hose or anything like that. IMO you're better off just wiping stuff down by hand so as to not damage anything.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
hskater26

Re: Engine Cleaning? (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by hskater26 »

i use simple green in the spray bottle it seems to work pretty good
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

# 1 Don't go using a pressure washer on the engine!!Many will disagree citing that they do it, well good for them! High pressure water gets driven into every nook and cranny and can even bypass water seals and get into connectors.Be safe, just don't do it.You can use a home garden hose. Use some cleaner (simple green is indeed good) and scrub with a brush where you can, let it sit and using a GENTLE spray pattern wash it all off. Be careful do not directly spray on any obvious electronic boxes or the connections.I'm not a fan of the artificial shiny that car dealers tend to love, they most oven use Gloss Clear spray cans! Don't do this, it eventually cracks and collects dirt.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
psiu

Post by psiu »

Simple Green does work well. I will cover the battery and alternator with plastic or towel, give the inside a gentle rinse down first, throw some Simple Green on, usually no scrubbing needed. A couple of soft brushes (car wash brushes with different sizes and handles work good) if you need to get in at anything. Then just rinse it off well, nice and soft spray.The best part is the smell of Simple Green inside the car after that :D
Whelan

Re: (psiu)

Post by Whelan »

You can get it steam cleaned but that doesn't get the deep stuff out.lI cover my battery with a plastic baggy, hose down the engine with a LIGHT spray. Then simple green everywhere, a bristle brush and cloth are used then with more SG sprayed as needed. Then a light spray off again. I go back to spots missed and respray. Leave hood open and let dry completely!If you get psycho like me, you can then grab the wax and put a coat on the underside of the hood, the areas around the struts and then use some Meguiar's vinyl, plastic, rubber detailer spray for the plastic areas and hoses.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
BadBrew

Post by BadBrew »

Last spring I had it professionally cleaned for about 40$, they used a simple green like spay, steam and pressure washer. They finished it up with some armor all on plastic parts.A real nice job (but poor pic): I'll do it again this year for sure before installing the CAI.
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
vibolista

Re: Engine Cleaning? (BadBrew)

Post by vibolista »

That's a clean engine compartment! Should be done a couple of times a year. After winter to get the salt, sand and mud out and then before the snow flies to get it ready for the ravages of Winter. Our southern Vibes have it easy and can probably just be wiped down once a year. I also wax the painted surfaces... under the hood, sides and braces. Anything I can get to, after a thorough cleaning. I only wax this part of the car once a year.The "Spring" cleaning may be coming soon. We have had a fairly warm couple of weeks and the snow is melting off pretty quickly.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Every time I wash my Vibe, I use a damp microfiber towel to wipe down the engine bay (including the underside of the hood, cowl panel, etc.). Every so often I use a little Mother's Protectant (interior cleaner/moisturizer) on the hoses to keep them from cracking. That's pretty much it. I do this exact same thing. micro fiber towel and bucket of plain water to rinse and wring out towel. try not to scape up knuckles too much. easy to do. keeps things looking nice under the hood if done often.
vibenvy

Re: Engine Cleaning? (vibedrivermatt)

Post by vibenvy »

Yep, my engine usually just gets dusty in between washes because I wipe it down every time I wash it. And since it never gets too dirty it only takes a few mintues to wipe it down.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Dusting or wiping the engine and compartment down when you wash the Vibe is a great way to keep dirt under control. I do the same thing... but the big Spring and Fall cleaning and waxing is much more more detailed and usually involves taking some things appart to get under and around them.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
oriden

Post by oriden »

mine was cleaned when about it (1.5 years ago) its been whiped down a few times since then.I think the route you take on the cleaning is based on your conditions. Since ive left Post-secondary and moved to heavy equipment the engine requires more then just cloth and some water
burns

Post by burns »

No one mentioned Gunk Degreaser, is that not a popular choice? I've been using that stuff for nearly 20 years, works great. I go to the self serve car wash, spray down the engine with the foamy degreaser, wash the car, then rinse the engine with the low pressure spray for 3-4 minutes.
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

In the engine compartment, are there any locations that absolutely need to be re-lubricated when you are finished cleaning (or as you are cleaning) it? I would never "take apart" the engine to clean it. However, I want to make sure that there isn't any build up that would cause corrosion and poor engine performance while making sure I don't remove something that needs to be there.I got my Vibe with a clean engine, so shame on me for letting it get so dirty. I'm wondering if I should get it washed professionally the first time, then keep up with the cleaning thereafter.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
vibedrivermatt

Re: (Bastranz)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »In the engine compartment, are there any locations that absolutely need to be re-lubricated when you are finished cleaning (or as you are cleaning) it? I would never "take apart" the engine to clean it. However, I want to make sure that there isn't any build up that would cause corrosion and poor engine performance while making sure I don't remove something that needs to be there.nah I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've heard some places do a good job for not too much $$$. you could re-lube the hood latch? I think the main concern is not getting water in places its not supposed to be. As far as keeping the engine bay looking good Id like to add wiping down rubber hoses and rubber parts in armorall. If you don't like armorall Im sure there's other brands you could use.
glennpert

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by glennpert »

I used an engine degreaser that i got at autozone to cleacn my engine. You just spray and leave it alone for like 15 min and then spray it off with a garden hose. I have not had any problem, however i know some ppl dont like this method.