Safe to go thru drive thru car wash?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Vibe Ride

Safe to go thru drive thru car wash?

Post by Vibe Ride »

New to this forum so I am sorry if this has been discussed. I have just picked up a 2009 Vibe and was wondering if the antenas are safe in the NON brushless car washes? I hate them but that is all we have locally and need washes during heavy weather winter months.THANKS!
TONY TAT2

Re: Safe to go thru drive thru car wash? (Vibe Ride)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Newton SQ,,,Aint that the mushroom place?
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yes, you will be fine. They are even fine in brush car washes
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe Ride »New to this forum so I am sorry if this has been discussed. I have just picked up a 2009 Vibe and was wondering if the antenas are safe in the NON brushless car washes? I hate them but that is all we have locally and need washes during heavy weather winter months.THANKS!I can personally guarantee they'll be ok at least once, seeing as how that's the number of times I've taken mine through a non-brushless car wash (I actually have a deal to get it hand washed for free from the dealership for the next five years, but I'd have to make an advance appointment for Saturdays).
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Stockintoshockin

Re: Safe to go thru drive thru car wash? (ponta2147)

Post by Stockintoshockin »

I specifically use the soft gloss washes they work better . it takes bit of force to take that antenna off like not having the garage door open the last 6 inches and backing in......snap 170 bucks later
Vibin since spring 2007 ***taking it from stocking to shockin
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

It's 46deg here now,last week it was in the teen's,Im washen it now,just came in 4 a cup of java,I'll proably start the vettes up & move them around some.Still a lot of salt on the roads tho,should get rain Sun,but i dont go in work till Sun night.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Personally, I would suggest removing the antenna mast before going in. The base on my wife's car was bent and I suspect it was an auto car wash that caused the damage, but am not sure.In any case, its an easy thing to do and safer, imo.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
omgLIFT

Post by omgLIFT »

I don't care what you have to do whether it's going outside with a hot bucket of water and washing your car but avoid these types of car washes at all costs!Don't even use the car washes that you have to drive your car onto a rail to go through because this can curb your wheels or side skirts. That is unless you don't care about your investments.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

it unscrews easily. and is easily replaced no tools needed.
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

I go to the spray "do-it-yourself" and just do the rinse cycle. I then dry the car with a chamois...takes about 10 min....I get a bit cold in Maine, but I get through it ok. I do put a wax on my Vibe 2x year...Also, I get under the car so much better washing it myself...works for me.
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe
lovemyraffe

Re: (Banjovibe)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I take mine through brush and brush-less car washes regularly and have never had an issue.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Safe? Sure, you won't get hurt at all, your car could be a whole other issue!I worked at a Mercedes Dealer for years, I can say with 100% certainty that the brushes in a car wash WILL hurt your paint over time.Personally, I've never darkened the door of a car wash, it may just be that I am cheap!I live in the Northeast so snow and salt are a daily way of life in the winter. My Salsa was looking very white, more like Frosty, so yesterday being 45 degrees it called for a good car wash. We were baby sitting the grandkids so.......Take a hose, a dirty car, a bucket of soapy water, a Golden Retriever and two pre-school grandchildren and you get a clean car after a lot of mess and fun!I couldn't have ever purchased that time together in a car wash!Today is wintry mix, sleet, rain, snow, my work was all for naught but it looked GREAT last night in the dark!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe Ride »New to this forum so I am sorry if this has been discussed. I have just picked up a 2009 Vibe and was wondering if the antenas are safe in the NON brushless car washes? I hate them but that is all we have locally and need washes during heavy weather winter months.THANKS!Ouch. Brushless or one of the do it yourself places. I've seen a lot of pretty poor results from those brush places. If there's any sand stuck to the side of your car, the brushes will take it off... but not before scraping it down the paint. You'll get a huge dose of tiny little scratches that really show up under light reflections. Your Vibe will be clean... but you will probably end up polishing those scratches off at some later date. I would stay away from car washes that touch your car's paint. If the paint on your Vibe is already scratched anyway, then it wouldn't make much difference. Welcome to our Vibe site!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

As a general rule of thumb, I would say, "No. Remove the antenna mast." as stated before, it easily unscrews from the base... by hand.'Better safe than sorry.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I use the one at my BP sometimes. I do like Delta Sonic's car washes as they hand spray down the car before entering the washes but they do use the rail that your car goes onto. Gas city has nice touchless ones by me.
burns

Post by burns »

In the time it took you to turn your computer on, log in to genvibe, start a new thread and wait for a reply, you could have unscrewed it and screwed it in 153 times. Blindfolded.With your feet.
06pvibe

Re: (burns)

Post by 06pvibe »

I agree with you whole-heartedly but fear you are preaching to the choir. There hasn't been a post in this thread in over 2 months now and Vibe Rider, the OP, hasn't been seen or heard from since he made this thread. I doubt he's ever even been back to check up on it.
TONY TAT2

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

THE MUSHROOMS GOT HIM !!!GOTA LOOK OUT 4 THE KILLER TOMATOES ALSO !!!
star_deceiver

Re: (TONY TAT2)

Post by star_deceiver »

Yup... the tomatos got him...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Vibe Ride

Post by Vibe Ride »

Wow, are we judgemental or what?? Just so you know I am on this site atleast once a day.
ponta2147

Re: (Vibe Ride)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe Ride »Wow, are we judgemental or what?? Just so you know I am on this site atleast once a day.You should post more!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
TONY TAT2

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

earlyre

Re: Safe to go thru drive thru car wash? (vibolista)

Post by earlyre »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Ouch. Brushless or one of the do it yourself places. I've seen a lot of pretty poor results from those brush places. If there's any sand stuck to the side of your car, the brushes will take it off... but not before scraping it down the paint. You'll get a huge dose of tiny little scratches that really show up under light reflections. Your Vibe will be clean... but you will probably end up polishing those scratches off at some later date. I would stay away from car washes that touch your car's paint. If the paint on your Vibe is already scratched anyway, then it wouldn't make much difference. Welcome to our Vibe site! while i agree and see your points about the home bucket wash, there is one very important part to wash off that is pretty hard to get to with a bucket and sponge, or with a do it your self power washer type place.the undercarriage. esp the front sub-frame. you really need to wash the salt off of those so they don't rust out as quick. something i never would have thought about myself before the recall on my 2k Hyundai sonata. turns out mine was rusted clear though on one side. for those unfamiliar with the sub-frame ( as i was) it is the bit that attaches to the uni-body, and your engine tranny, and whole front end are built off. there fore, if you live in a place that gets a bit of winter, and they use road salt, i would recommend finding an automatic wash with the "undercarriage wash" feature
Jubjon

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by Jubjon »

Will the mast unscrew by hand?The powder coat on mine is all cracked and funky.Where would you recommend buying a mast?Thanks
keithvibe

Re: (Jubjon)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Jubjon »Will the mast unscrew by hand?The powder coat on mine is all cracked and funky.Where would you recommend buying a mast?Thanksyes just unscrew it.Ebay for a cheap replacement.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
06pvibe

Re: (Jubjon)

Post by 06pvibe »

Any parts store should have them too. Personally I'd replace the horsey whip with a stubby... and have. There is not much difference between the OE and a 6" stubby, reception wise that is.
Jubjon

Post by Jubjon »

thanks, appreciate the photo.My mast was not hand tight, I took a pair of channel locks to it after seeing your photo, no problem.