Cleaning window trim/moulding?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
cptnsolo77

Cleaning window trim/moulding?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Ok this thanksgiving weekend Im giving the Vibe a full exterior detail. Claybar & wax treatment ! In reguards to the window trim, I am going to use Mothers back to black. In some areas the trim seems almost pitted -OR- its just very dirty.Especially the trim along the top of the doors just above the door handles & the rear 1/4 panel window. Does anyone have any tips to preping the trim prior to using back to black? I was thinking just running the claybar over those areas, or maybe a scotchbrite pad. Any thoughts or tips?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
dinkers123

Re: Cleaning window trim/moulding? (cptnsolo77)

Post by dinkers123 »

I used a claybar on my window trim and it worked really well but I wouldn't use a scotchbrite pad on any part of the car. Mothers back to black is ok, but when I had my vibe I used chemical guys fade to black and have been very impressed with it.
vibolista

Re: Cleaning window trim/moulding? (cptnsolo77)

Post by vibolista »

No scotchbrite, ever. It will damage anything painted. If you'e talking about the low-gloss black window frame portions of the door, give it a good wash with car wash soap. Then use a Back to Black or other similar product to bring these surfaces to original condition. Sunshine in Florida is tough on any painted surface, and it loves to cook black paint. You have to maintain some type of protectant on it all the time.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires