Clean Dash/interior plastics

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
09vGT

Clean Dash/interior plastics

Post by 09vGT »

So I noticed today that my dash/glove box is looking a tad faded.. It probably not but looks like it is. Is the armorall protectant okay to use since it will make it look oily/glossy? I've been just using a damp cloth..
vibenvy

Re: Clean Dash/interior plastics (09vGT)

Post by vibenvy »

I started out just using a damp microfiber cloth as well, but after a while it started to look "faded" like you said. It does need some kind of protectant to keep the dash from fading and cracking. What I do now is spray Mother's Protectant on one microfiber cloth and wipe the dash, etc. down with it. Than I use another dry microfiber cloth to wipe the excess off so the dash doesn't get too shiny. Shiny dashes look cheesy in my opinion. Wiping the excess off will leave it protected and give it a nice deep black color without leaving it too shiny.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Read on many other forums to stay away from Armourall.Most seem to use 303 Protectant.http://www.303products.com/
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
lovemyraffe

Re: (Water boy)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I avoid ArmorAll at all costs. It leaves a nasty film on everything. I like the Meguire's wipes to clean the interior plastic.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

friends don't let friends use armor all
vibedrivermatt

Re: Clean Dash/interior plastics (09vGT)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

This is only partially related to cleaning the interior plastic. but I have a waring. DONT try to clean any of your interior plastic with isopropyl or "rubbing" alcohol. It turns the plastic white. I tried this because I wanted to put some little strips of velcro with adhesive backing on my interior plastic to keep something stuck. I used alcohol to clean the plastic before putting the velcro down. I enjoy building radio controlled models as a hobby and using rubbing alcohol to clean an area is a pretty common surface preparation before gluing or adhering stuff together. Well I found out the vibes plastic doesn't like isopropyl alcohol. When I put it on there it had some kind of reaction and turned the plastic white.. yikes!! at least I didn't mess up an area very big..
vibenvy

Re: Clean Dash/interior plastics (vibedrivermatt)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »This is only partially related to cleaning the interior plastic. but I have a waring. DONT try to clean any of your interior plastic with isopropyl or "rubbing" alcohol. It turns the plastic white. I tried this because I wanted to put some little strips of velcro with adhesive backing on my interior plastic to keep something stuck. I used alcohol to clean the plastic before putting the velcro down. I enjoy building radio controlled models as a hobby and using rubbing alcohol to clean an area is a pretty common surface preparation before gluing or adhering stuff together. Well I found out the vibes plastic doesn't like isopropyl alcohol. When I put it on there it had some kind of reaction and turned the plastic white.. yikes!! at least I didn't mess up an area very big..That sucls .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibedrivermatt

Re: Clean Dash/interior plastics (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

yeah well its not that bad. its in the trunk right behind one of the folding rear seats.. I used the velcro to stick one of those emergency accessories packs back there. you know those ones with band aids and stuff in there. the pack sits on top of the messed up plastic so you can't see it anyways.
oriden

Post by oriden »

i used armor all...ill go sit in the corner..lol
jkm311

Re: (oriden)

Post by jkm311 »

I can't get enough of Meguiar's Natural Shine. The name says it all. Makes my dash, console, tires, etc. look brand new, not greasy. The spray bottle is deceiving. It does not have a water-based liquid consistency at all. More thick than you'd think. I spray a few shots onto a microfiber towel, and work it into the cloth. This way, I don't have the fear of overspray on other surfaces. It's my detailing crack, baby!
Steelies to the rescue.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes, that is some great stuff. I use it every weekened or every other weekend when I vacum out the Vibe. Not greasy at all & not tooo shiney. Lasts pretty long too.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jkm311

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by jkm311 »

Holy crap! I better be careful, cptnsolo77.I just read your thread about Meg's Natural Shine, and the mob threats of Vibolista! I better remember to do a b&a photo section in my soon-to-be-new garage!
Steelies to the rescue.