A vaccum, some Q-Tips, and Meguiar's #40

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Whelan

A vaccum, some Q-Tips, and Meguiar's #40

Post by Whelan »

Well I got to it. 2.5 hours of work. Plenty of vaccuming and rug cleaning. The upholstery was in really good shape so minimal Power Out cleaner was needed. The #40 made the car BRAND NEW inside as always and gave it that new car smell. Yes I said new car smell, not the kind you get with the blue tree either. This stuff really smells like fresh interior. I would strongly suggest purchasing some detail brushes to help with the process. They go a long way in getting the cracks and crevices clean, along with some Q-Tips or felt slides. I'm looking to do the exterior this weekend with even more pics. These were all taken with my Blackberry Storm 9530 and the quality is frigin awesome! Not a ton of pics, but enough to see the time and detail work with some tips along the way, Enjoy!Products Used:-Meguiar's #40 Plastic & Vinyl Polish Cleaner-Megauir's Plast X-Meguiar's Foam Polish Pad-Meguiar's Micro Fiber Towels-Power Out Upholstery Cleaner-Q Tips-Shop Vac-Bud LightSide Note: Did you know Red Strip came in a can, I didn't until my company picnic last Wednesday.Add a little water and you got a Beach!Take some time and vaccum between the rubber seal, it helps to keep it from drying out and being cut up from rocksBe sure to look in ALL the cubbiesTear apart your spare tire area and get to it, look at the grime!Nasty! But take the time and give your spare a good inspection, and clean it up as wellWhat a difference!I pulled off the gauge bezel to get a good clean there as well. Look at how scratched up and hazy and dirty the covers areThe Power of Meguiar's Plast X and elbow grease!Those little coin holders can be a painClean! Clean! Clean!I'll be sure to get better pics next week when I do the exterior as well, but feel free to post comments, questions, etc. Not too shabby for almost 97,000 miles. Additional Pics
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Mr Magoo

Re: A vaccum, some Q-Tips, and Meguiar's #40 (Whelan)

Post by Mr Magoo »

Looking good. Question, where in the heck do you find #40 locally? Man I have literally been to every auto parts store and big box store within 25 miles of my house with no luck. I guess I will look about getting it online. Even the places that Meguiars lists on their site as dealers don't have it. When I ask about it they look at me like I'm from Mars and try and sell me some Armor All. As a teenager, many moons ago, I used the AA, but now can't stand the malodorous stuff. Looks and smells like soured milk to me. I would be very happy to find something else.
2007 Salsa base W/Cladding, 2008 Platinum base W/Cladding Picture: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...).jpg
Whelan

Re: A vaccum, some Q-Tips, and Meguiar's #40 (Mr Magoo)

Post by Whelan »

#40 I have only found online at places such as http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com If it's a Meguiar's product in a tan bottle, it is from their professional line which is a higher quality product with more variances in type than the typical 1, 2, 3 steps you see in the store.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Herb

Post by Herb »

Looks incredible! Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Those little coin holders can be a painI replaced mine with a blank like the one above the left hand storage bin.

Attached files
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Whelan, when are you coming over to do mine?
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »nice work on the interior --- how do you get the e-brake flaps so clean?
Whelan

Re: A vaccum, some Q-Tips, and Meguiar's #40 (bull77)

Post by Whelan »

I find the smallest kid in the neighborhood and give him a few bucks to reach in there. LOL. Nope. I use a screwdriver with a towel and cleaner on it to reach down deep. Also moving the E-brake to the up and down position give more access.The only thing I never had was that little carpet in the front bin. Wonder if I could get that from Toyota for a few bucks.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I've been wondering the same about that little carpet. Guess it's time to search the net!*edit* Here it is! Now there's shipping to deal with. Just wondering if a dealer would match the price so you wouldn't have to pay $10.50 in shipping!!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
NibCrom

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by NibCrom »

Looks good dude. Makes me want to detail my car.
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I find the smallest kid in the neighborhood and give him a few bucks to reach in there. LOL. Nope. I use a screwdriver with a towel and cleaner on it to reach down deep. Also moving the E-brake to the up and down position give more access.It's also REALLY easy to use a ratchet and remove the center console. 10-mm, just like everything else. There's a few in the bottom of the armrest cubby and two under the little carpet Whelan is missing. From there, you just pull out (be sure to be careful if you have the cigarette lighter in the arm rest cubby installed).
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
jasony0423

Post by jasony0423 »

Not that I'm challenging, either, but I don't see what's so much cleaner than anything else... Yours isn't too shabby for almost 97,000 miles, it's true. Mine is just as clean though, with almost 186,000 miles, though... Maybe it's because I use Meguiar's stuff myself...
Whelan

Re: (jasony0423)

Post by Whelan »

97k has now become 106,000. I'm due for my oil change and a tire rotate and balance.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »The only thing I never had was that little carpet in the front bin. Wonder if I could get that from Toyota for a few bucks.Whelan, that little carpet is a pain. It holds on to any little bit of debris like a magnet. Find a piece of black or other color rubber... you can use rubber liner for kitchen drawers, too... and cut it out to fit. The other day my wife put her EZ Pass turnpike transducer in that bin and the little carpet latched itself on to the velcro grips. I found it in her car a couple of days later. She couldn't figure out where the heck it came from! A piece of rubber would not run away like that, and would be infinitely easier to keep clean. You can also cut a couple of round ones for your cup holders, helping to keep the noise down if you put something rattly in them.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires