What are these orange spots behind my rims?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
ktyure

What are these orange spots behind my rims?

Post by ktyure »

I recently purchased a new 09 vibe gt a week ago and I am now noticing that there are some orange spots behind my rim. I don't know much about cars, so I can't say what the item is but i'll guess it's the brakes? I was wondering if the orange spots are rust and if so what can i do to remove and prevent this? It has been raining every day since I purchased my car so maybe that is a factor? Any tips or information will help. Thanks.
VforVIBE

Re: What are these orange spots behind my rims? (ktyure)

Post by VforVIBE »

If it is indeed rust on the disk brake rotor, do not worry, this is normal and will go away after you apply the brakes.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
ou.grizzly

Re: What are these orange spots behind my rims? (VforVIBE)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »If it is indeed rust on the disk brake rotor, do not worry, this is normal and will go away after you apply the brakes. ^^^This.If they are ON your rims, clay bar them. It should remove any oxidization.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ktyure

Re: What are these orange spots behind my rims? (ou.grizzly)

Post by ktyure »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know it was called a brake disc rotator. So you mean the next time I drive my car and I press on the brakes, the orange spots will come off? Thanks for the help. I was really worried.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ktyure »Thanks for the replies. I didn't know it was called a brake disc rotator. So you mean the next time I drive my car and I press on the brakes, the orange spots will come off? Thanks for the help. I was really worried. No worries I've seen Corvettes sitting on the dealer's lot after some rain with this same problem. Yes they should come off with normal driving.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

No worries. I just put new front brake rotors on, and its amazing how quickly they start to show rust.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Whelan

Re: What are these orange spots behind my rims? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Whelan »

If your car sits in rain or damp, muggy conditions for a period of time with little use, rust will develop naturally on that part of the car. You may notice when you first use the brakes a couple of times they seem to have a rougher almost grind effect. It is the rust being removed, no worries, happens all the time.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT