Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days!

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Whelan

Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days!

Post by Whelan »

That's right. Keep your eyes peeled in this forum as I go through the FULL DETAIL on my 05 Black Pearl Matrix.-Engine Bay detail-Interior -Glass-ExteriorComplete with LOADS of pictures. More than I have ever posted for a detail. I will be sure to document it all as I go along. Will take me a few days to complete (think full weekend). Last time I spent 20 hours on the paint alone. For the meantime, feel free to inquire on any procedure in this thread as far as products I use, processes I got through, etc. Here is a list of some items being utilized in no specific order below. I may have left out some items unintentionally cause there is just so much. This coming week I am going through my materials and seeing what I need to order. I use http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net for my supplies. You will notice I rely heavily on Meguiar's. I do not work for them, they just know their stuff when it comes to detailing. Engine Bay:-Simple Green-Ziploc Bag (covering the battery)-Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/polish-Brass wire bristle brush (toothbrush size)-Meguiars #26 NXT Generation Tech Wax (painted areas under hood)-Paper Towels-Shop VacInterior:-Power Out upholstery cleaner-damp towel-Q tips-Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/polish-Meguiar's PlastX-Shop Vac-Resolve-Meguiar's Micro-Fiber towelsExterior:-Clay Magic Clay Bar Kit-Mother's California Gold Car Wash -Dawn (small amount for the second wash)-Meguiar's Tire Shine Adjustable Spray-Meguiar's G100 Dual Action Orbital Polisher-Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish-Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze-Meguiar's #26 NXT Gen Tech Wax-Meguiar's Micro-Fiber Towels-000 Steel Wool (cleans windown etches and wiper marks)-Sprayway Glass Cleaner (foaming w/ no alcohol)-Meguiar's Plast X-Meguiar's Scratch X-Meguiar's 8006 Polishing Pads-Meguiar's 9006 Buffing Pad-Blue Painters Tape-Soft thick washing pad-Bath Towels (drying after first wash only)-Mother's Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polish-Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/polish-Simoniz System 5 Teflon
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
bodhi_tree777

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (Whelan)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I will be watching this closely, especially the engine detailing and the cleaning of the door cards. I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to keep my interior really clean (wife + 2 year old daughter + 50 lb dog are all frequent riders), but I do have this pesky dog vomit stain on fabric part of the driver's side door . Any help on that is much appreciated. 20+ hours on the paint? phew. I'm sure it looks fantastic, but man my car is usually dirty 30 minutes after I'm through the car wash, how do you maintain that?
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Whelan

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Whelan »

Maintenance is acheived by a light wash every other week as well as using a few items in the closet:-Meguiar's Quick Detailer-California Duster-Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry after each wash.For the stains, get some resolve, let it sit in a foam puddle for a bit, then go at it with a bristle brush (i.e. hard brush). Small circles followed by a wet cloth to wipe clean. If it still is not broken up and clean then you can try either a second application or move up to a more heavy duty cleaner. Think a dash of dish detergent or laundry detergent.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »For the stains, get some resolve, let it sit in a foam puddle for a bit, then go at it with a bristle brush (i.e. hard brush). Small circles followed by a wet cloth to wipe clean. If it still is not broken up and clean then you can try either a second application or move up to a more heavy duty cleaner. Think a dash of dish detergent or laundry detergent.will this work on salt?
Whelan

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (bull77)

Post by Whelan »

salt? You have a salt stain on the material?
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
whytea

Post by whytea »

Very common issue here in Canada with the crazy amounts of road salt used EVERYWHERE.
Whelan

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (whytea)

Post by Whelan »

Salt stains on floor mats is easy. First get yourself some all weather rubber mats for the winter.Secondly, most car washed I go to have a machine that allow you to clean the mats yourself. They let you do the big brush by putting the mats in, and pulling them up to brush out. Then there is a mat wash where you put it in one way and then in again the other way to dry out.Since it is just salt, enough water will get it out. Salt is soluable and thus can be watered down so to speak and dispersed. So washing your mats with a hose and brush is not bad. Then hang them in the sun to dry.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
bull77

Post by bull77 »

the mats/seats don't have salt on them, its the area where the rubber mats don't reach.on the floor along the door and pedal area are problem places. a shop vac would work but since I don't have one -- any other suggestions that won't involve soaking the floor?
whytea

Re: (bull77)

Post by whytea »

Try a soaking hot cloth and rubbing the area with it then take a dry cloth and dry it up. And then repeat if the salt is still there.
Whelan

Re: (bull77)

Post by Whelan »

Bissell vac where it does use water but dries it to as you go along. Or you could try a steam machine, those work wonders!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

This is great, I look forward to it, thanks.I'm buying a 1980 Fiat Spider 2000, having it fixed up mechanically and reupholstered right now. Will need to give it a thorough detail when I get it. It will still need a paint job, I'll probably wait until winter to do that.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
Whelan

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by Whelan »

If your having it painted you need to wait 3 weeks before you can wash it and at least a month before you can put any kind of wax.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jimincalif

Re: (Whelan)

Post by jimincalif »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »If your having it painted you need to wait 3 weeks before you can wash it and at least a month before you can put any kind of wax. Yes, understood. Thx. I'm just going to do a quickie polish job on the exterior so it is not totally dull for now, then get it painted when it is no longer convertible driving season. I'll start out with the interior and engine bay, so looking forward to your step-by-step.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Did you own a Fiat back in the day or just really always liked the car?Just something to keep it clean will be nice. I would inquire with the upholstery people in regards to keeping it fresh and see what they recommend.I have always been a firm believer in the shops. If they are using a specific type of product and they have it available for sale (something you wouldn't find at a normal store), then pick some up. For years I could not find the Sprayway Glass Cleaner in auto stores, but tint shops and dealers alike had cans of it. Now its everywhere in stores. The secrets eventually get out there.One thing to keep in mind is that sticking with a liked or known product is not always a bad idea. Just because there is some new item out there with flashy graphics and some boy-racer on the front does not mean it is better. There is a HUGE trend in the industry towards making products that are more single stage. A car wash soap with wax built in. A chamois towel that has carnuba it in to smooth the drying process. All of these to me are just cheap shortcuts that do not work. IE the Turtle Wax ICE. Quick product that gives you the 20 minute car wash wax feel, but does nothing for really cleaning the paint.Also to note a lot of these products are for post detail use. To keep the shine lusterous and beaming while keeping the wax protected.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Lol no offense but I bet I could spend six hours detailing my car and you would not be able to tell the difference between our cars. I used to think that all the extra stuff helps out, but my experience has told me otherwise. There is no reason to bust out anything other than a good claybar kit and throw some good wax on when your done. Obviously if you have some light scratches and whatnot, those require a little more attention. And my engine bay is ridiculously clean, and I have never used half of the products you listed. Then I also came to an epiphany one warm night while detailing my car. Its a Vibe, not a 60 thousand dollar sports car, or a collectors car of any kind. My .02.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
Whelan

Re: (ajflan)

Post by Whelan »

Did I just get challenged?You car is also Silver, which is impossibly hard to see even the finest swirls or scratches. On a black car, literally every little thing and spec shows.I do what I do because it allows me to not have to wax or polish the car for up to 6 months. It gets a deep clean and keeps the paint fresher for longer. Also, what products that are being used in my list could you do without to get the same results? I am not drilling you but just curious how you could clay bar and wax without any polish or swirl removing to achieve the same results. For me a proper wash, clay bar, and full dry prior to detailing would in itself 2-3 hours depending.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jimincalif

Re: (Whelan)

Post by jimincalif »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Did you own a Fiat back in the day or just really always liked the car?I had a '78 Fiat 128 3p. I always liked the spider, but could not afford it when I was in college. They're cheap enough I can now get one for fun, not a daily driver. I've also looked at the Miata and Honda S2000, but I don't fit in those. Porsche Boxster fits, but is way more than I want to spend. Just something about an open roadster and thought it would be more interesting to get something vintage.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Miata to me was always a little to chick of a roadster. The S200 is TINY inside. I'm 5'9" 180 and feel cramped in one. My ex's mother had it.If I had the cash I would look into the M Roadster. mmmm I love the Z3 over the Z4, such nicer lines.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Probably silver has a lot to do with it. I dont have any swirl marks at all. I know black cars are harder to keep pristine, don't worry it wasn't a challenge. Probably the reason my car is so clean is that I wax it about once a week during the summer, as well as do a complete engine clean up. My car doesn't even get a chance to get messed up lol.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

My two-tone is some how a three-tone. White, cladding, and dirt.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
808 Vibes

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I have red dirt (wishing I had hours to spend cleaning the car)
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Whelan

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by Whelan »

Put some peanut butter on it and send your dog to work
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Mr Magoo

Post by Mr Magoo »

Ok Whelan, been more than 30 days. Where's the pics? I'm ready for for my lesson master!
2007 Salsa base W/Cladding, 2008 Platinum base W/Cladding Picture: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...).jpg
Whelan

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (Mr Magoo)

Post by Whelan »

Things got backed up a bit, me and the gf have had very busy weekends. This weekend (Sunday) is the interior. Next weekend is the exterior. I want it done before I leave for the Outer Banks. Gotta have a clean ride to take down. Plus I spent 3.5 hours on her interior last week.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Mr Magoo

Post by Mr Magoo »

I hear ya. I've been working 6 days a week and second shift to boot for months. Can't get anything done. Since it's been raining constantly, not much incentive to clean the ride and I've no garage. Would love to see the pics if you've got em.
2007 Salsa base W/Cladding, 2008 Platinum base W/Cladding Picture: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...).jpg
Whelan

Re: Stay Tuned, FULL DETAIL in 30 days! (Mr Magoo)

Post by Whelan »

Interior Detailhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37694Oh and I got a new toy to help with my exterior work this weekend!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Sorry all, the exterior wont be done for a few weeks. The weather here has made everyone feel like we live in Seattle. I have not seen the sun out in full in well over a week and it rains everyday.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT