Turtle Wax Washer Fluid Problem

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Wolfman213

Turtle Wax Washer Fluid Problem

Post by Wolfman213 »

I was at a store the other day picking up stuff for the house and remembered that I needed some washer fluid. They had a generic kind and a Turtle Wax Bug and Grime at the same price. I opted for the Turtle Wax one since they were the same price and figured why not with the extra additives (not actually sure if there are or not) in it.My issue is ever since I poured it in, the fluid doesn't want come out at times. Some times it will spray out the back, but not the front and vice versa, as well as not come out at all. I highly doubt it the washer pump(s) since it was working perfectly before hand and since it will, on occasion, spray just fine. Has anyone else had issues with this brand of washer fluid?My only remedy that I can think of right now is to try and waste it, well when it does spray.Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: Turtle Wax Washer Fluid Problem (Wolfman213)

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's a weird one, I haven't ever had fluid do that. I have used that stuff before but never had any problems with it.I would be inclined to suspect the pump but if it's doing it for both front and rear I don't see both pumps crapping out at the same time... At least I think there are two pumps...If it is the fluid and you can't get it out via normal means, I guess you'd have to pull the reservior. Or maybe somehow siphon it out of there via the filler neck.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

One thing I think worth mentioning is that when it was warmer thatn the freezing mark, the fluid sprayed fine, but sub freezing is when it's had issues. Although the bottle says protects to -25, is it possible that I may have received a bad batch that didn't contain tha agent that keeps it from freezing?
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Raven

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by Raven »

That sounds like a valid theory. I was going to ask if it was for winter use also. You could add some methyl hydrate to increase the antifreeze properties instead of disposing of it.
tribalman

Re: (Raven)

Post by tribalman »

there are 2 pumps for washer fluid. it might be the relay going, or it might just because it is too cold outside.
None. Vibe is gone.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Methyl hydrate??? What exactly is that?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »Methyl hydrate??? What exactly is that?It's the antifreeze agent in windshield washer fluid. You can get it at most hardware or chemical supply stores. I upgrade mine with it in January and Feb. when the temps get down to -30° or worse. It's also used for model airplane engine fuel among other things.
2002sportside

Re: (Raven)

Post by 2002sportside »

You can add rubbing alcohol to it too. Washer fluid and alcohol are the ingredients in 'homemade windshield deicer.' Probably not far off of the effective ingredient in the commercially available ones...
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'm going to try some rubbing alcohol this morning since I already have some of that. I know that it's supposed to get warmer tomorrow so I will probably just purge the system, if it lets me, and then get some of my normal washer fluid and hope that everything works fine then. Thank you all for your input!!
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

A hair dryer or heat gun on low would also help to loosen up the lines. I'm cautious about putting anything like the bug remover stuff in my fluid, it could be harmful to the lines and pumps used in the system. Having a de-icer in the fluid or a bug remover additive is helpful, but is it proven to be safe and effective in long periods of time or non-use sitting in those little lines which are nothing more than what you use to put air in your fish tank.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I just ended up purging the system and immediately went and got the my normal de-icer. No issues now!!!
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

yeah... this thread is what i thought of when i went to walgreens to pick up some wiper fluid.... i walked right past the turtle wax and got my regular gallon...
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four