Wash then rinse sounds self defeating

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Vibrator08

Wash then rinse sounds self defeating

Post by Vibrator08 »

At a carwash the machine waxes then rinses, doesn't that just wash the wax off?
Platinum 2008 with 4 spd automatic, remote keyless entry, power door locks, power windows, cruise control. Added mods: dual armrest cover.
Wolfman213

Re: Wash then rinse sounds self defeating (Vibrator08)

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'm not a detail guru, either northvibe or sublimewind is, can't remember which one, but if they were to simply leave the wax on there, it would probably do more harm to your car than good. It's probably formulated different than wax that you would normally put on your car. Next time maybe you should get everything but the wax and see how the car is and then do another one with the was and see if you can tell a difference.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
psiu

Post by psiu »

I think with those the idea is pressure and heat to get some wax on the car, then the cold to run the excess off and solidify the wax on.Either way I know it's doing a crappy job but I live in an apt complex so *shrug*
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Old post, but i'll take a crack at it anyway.. Car wash wax is of the lowest quality and QUANTITY out there.. obviously it's transported to the surface by a water "like" substance, though wax and water don't mix.. When the wax comes out of the "gun" it's at such a high rate of speed, it's like doing a light wax job and buff on the car... That's the kicker though, it's sooooooo very light... and why it wears away so quickly.. the rinse is to simply remover whatever fluid is used to transoport the wax, as it couldn't be transported in pure water, it would seperate in the tank and you would get nothing but water...
Whelan

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Whelan »

It's almost like the spray and wax you can put on your car after a wash. It simply goes on, rinses or wipes off and gives your car a false sense of being waxed. i.e. that smooth feeling you have. But it does nothing for protection of the paint.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
vibolista

Re: (Whelan)

Post by vibolista »

Us Vibers with bare cladding would probably be better off to forgo any Car Wash Wax. Any wax on the plastic can't good, even if it didn't last very long, since the plastic is somewhat porous, right? I only go to a Car Wash as a last resort and then never select the 'wax' option.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Whelan

Re: (vibolista)

Post by Whelan »

Its in my Ten Commandments of don'ts. Going to a self spray bay is fine, or even a touchless. But if you drive through the brushes, have fun getting the swirls out.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT