how to get water spots of windows

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
burgmovibe

how to get water spots of windows

Post by burgmovibe »

What is a good product to get water spots of of my windows. I washed my car with the water from the faucet at home and it left a lot of spots that I cannot seem to get off.
ou.grizzly

Re: how to get water spots of windows (burgmovibe)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Wax the windows.... Honestly... It works... Or Stoner's Glass Cleaner and some elbow grease...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
burgmovibe

Re: how to get water spots of windows (ou.grizzly)

Post by burgmovibe »

i thought about that but wasn't sure thanks.
Whelan

Re: how to get water spots of windows (burgmovibe)

Post by Whelan »

000 (read triple zero) steel wool and foaming glass cleaner.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
NibCrom

Re: how to get water spots of windows (Whelan)

Post by NibCrom »

I don't know if Rain-X will get the spots off, but it might be good for preventing that in the future.
bull77

Re: how to get water spots of windows (NibCrom)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »I don't know if Rain-X will get the spots off, but it might be good for preventing that in the future.I use rain-x on all windows and after a wash, a quick wipe with a towel gets any remaining spots offa related question --- how do you get off grease/prints from fingers/hands/noses from the windows?
Whelan

Re: how to get water spots of windows (bull77)

Post by Whelan »

I've never used Rain X, never had a need.First off, stop using paper towels. Use newspaper or a regular towel terry or microfiber to clean the windows. Second if the windows are tinted, DO NOT use Windex, use a foaming glass cleaner that is alcohol free. Vinegar and water mixed together even work really well. Third, just wiping it on and off like its one of those cheesy glass wipes from Armor All is not going to do the job. When you get in the shower, do you just pour the liquid soap on you and let it rinse off. Of course not. So why would you do that to a car. It may not be wax, but everything on your car, the dash, paneling, tires, glass all have specific products that need to be worked into the surface. This is what gets them clean and shiny. Spraying on Windex then wiping once as it all seemingly disappears does nothing. The first time you get a frost or fog you will see every streak and line in the window and defrosters won't help. Use an up and down and left to right stroke when applying to get every spot covered, then repeat with a clean side or new towel using the same process. It ensures even coverage and proper care.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
zionzr2

Re: how to get water spots of windows (Whelan)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Second if the windows are tinted, DO NOT use Windex, use a foaming glass cleaner that is alcohol free. Vinegar and water mixed together even work really well...I will also add DO NOT use a Glass cleaner that contains Ammonia!Ammonia is BAD esp. for tint!!
BlueCrush

Re: how to get water spots of windows (zionzr2)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »I will also add DO NOT use a Glass cleaner that contains Ammonia!Ammonia is BAD esp. for tint!! Well since most tints are on the inside of the windows and you water spots are on the outside, using an ammonia based cleaner is a non-issue. I have used Vinegar as well as Windex on the outside of my windows with great success! It didn't affect the tint at all since the tint is on the inside...lol. Noobs...hahahaha
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Re: how to get water spots of windows (BlueCrush)

Post by keithvibe »

two words.Simple Green
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Toasted7

Re: how to get water spots of windows (keithvibe)

Post by Toasted7 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »two words.Simple GreenI have wondered for a a while if Simple Green would really work on removing water spots. Guess I'll have to try it. Is there such a thing out there as "window wax"? I would love to be able to get all the water spots off my windows. I have tried Stoner's Invisible Glass with microfiber cloths, but the water spots always seem to come back.What is the triple zero steel wool you are talking about Whelan? I've never heard of it.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
vhoward1122

Post by vhoward1122 »

http://tinyurl.com/5qxoemBelieve it or not, but Brasso metal polish works wonders for removing stubborn spots from glass. It will not scratch the glass, but definitely do not get it on any tint. Since you working on the outside glass that won't be a problem.Apply polish to towel, then clean the glass. You don't want to get this on you paint. It will remove the wax and start working on the clear coat before it evaporates.I have used this before to get hard water deposits off my windows. Just do it with care.