I really do dread detailing my Vibe.

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Cougar Vibe

I really do dread detailing my Vibe.

Post by Cougar Vibe »

So I did my fall paste wax job (Mother's California Carnuba Cleaner) and I have to say that my Vibe is the biggest pain in the *** when it comes to waxing. So many creases, so many panel attachments, so many badges...it's almost rediculous. Twice a year I do this thorough paste wax routine (mid-fall, late-spring), the rest of the year I use a spray-on nanowax (lately it's been Eagle-One). In total it took me five hours...but I actually get down w/a toothbrush and get every nook & cranny, not to mention I pull the wheels to clean the wheelwells, polish all the glass & then treat w/Rain-X, and also do the doorjabs w/nanowax. Oh yeah, I also detailed the engine compartment. Now this same routine on my G6, Ranger & Mustang takes between 3 hours (Ranger) and 4 (G6); and since I did all four cars in the last two weeks, my right bicep is freakin' huge. Alas, w/all this bellyaching, my wife was a sweetie and got me season tickes for my local WHL team (CHL champion Spokane Chiefs). So in another month or two, when the snow is flying, I'll be nice & comfortable in the stands w/a Kokanee or six in my gut. But right now, I'm beat.
ColonelPanic

Re: I really do dread detailing my Vibe. (Cougar Vibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ugh, I know what you mean. I spent the afternoon cleaning up Kari's Vibe. I've been slacking, haven't waxed it since about this time last year. Washed it off at the car wash by hand with a bucket, took it home and tried to get as much sap and other gunk off of it with the clay bar from top to bottom. Finally, finished up with a nice wax job and some TrimShine for the cladding. The car looks really good now. But I'm pretty tired! I forgot what a PITA it was with all of the little secret places where water hides and then likes to ooze out at the right time to ruin your wax job or make it that much worse to take off.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ou.grizzly

Re: I really do dread detailing my Vibe. (Cougar Vibe)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Could always drop it off at a detailing shop.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

The Vibe is certainly a pain to wax, but at least it's small. My mom's Rendezvous is a beast, but the worst car I've ever waxed was my 99 Grand Am. That thing had Pontiac side "cladding" which were ridged, about a foot high, and wrapped around the entire car. It was horrible. The only good thing was that car had great green metallic paint which really shined when it was clean and waxed.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
Whelan

Re: (SLORegal)

Post by Whelan »

Best practice is to wash and clay bar, then dry, then let it sit for a bit to make sure the water is all gone. Using a towel to get those crevices helps a lot too. Also taping off the plastic paneling and other areas that are not meant for wax (rubber, vinyl, headlights, etc.) makes the job go that much quicker.Also when waxing, keep a towel with you to wipe up any areas that start showing water. Especially when using a machine as the vibration causes a lot of hidden water to come out. Nothing is worse than water on a wax pad.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Also another trick I use to get water out of the crevices, is to get a leaf blower. Honestly, it works. It gets most of the water out of the cracks and makes drying a lot easier.
Whelan

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by Whelan »

stop giving ALL the secrets out Kev!Yes occasionally I have been known to pull out the Echo (BA leaf blower) to get those areas.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Kevzaz

Re: (Whelan)

Post by Kevzaz »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »stop giving ALL the secrets out Kev!Yes occasionally I have been known to pull out the Echo (BA leaf blower) to get those areas. Haha, well, I thought it would be nice. =p I am still holding back stuff. I don't mind telling people who live in a different state. But I keep my secrets to myself for people who live in the area so I can continue to have one of the cleanest car. Besides, most people don't take the time do to a good job on cars anyways.