RagingReview: Plasti Dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
ragingfish

RagingReview: Plasti Dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating

Post by ragingfish »

PRODUCT REVIEWED: Plasti Dip Multi Purpose Rubber CoatingPRODUCT IMAGES:MANUFACTURER DESCRIPTON:A flexible, synthetic rubber coating which exhibits excellent moisture, acid, alkaline, and abrasion resistance. Ideal for weatherproofing paper maps (clear), slip proofing running boards and foot rests, adding grip/color coding tool handles, weatherproofing/sealing clay pots, arts/crafts, protecting lawn care equipment, sealing frayed rope and cable ends, and adding grip to brake and clutch levers. PURCHASED AT:Lowe's Home Improvement CenterMSRP:US$4.87 for 1.5 fl oz (429 mL) dip can (CAD $5.59)US$6.98 for 11 oz (311 g) spray can (CAD $8.01)DATE PURCHASED:Friday, Dec 08, 2006COMMENTS:A pretty slick product. Very easy to use, produces nice results. My intended use, and the reason for purchase, was to rubber-coat the tip of the hood prop-rod on my G6. The 05 models came with a rubber cap to keep the rod from scratching the bejeezus out of the bottom side of the hood, but mine did not. This seemed like a relatively painless and cost-effective method of achieving similar results. I bought both the dip and the spray, but used the spray only for this project. I'm happy enough with the outcome that I'm keeping the dip can as well for future uses. It's available in black, red, blue, yellow, clear and white. I only saw black in the store, however.Before and after shots:Before:After:You can see the break between the rubber coat and the metal. It's not a clean line because I used tape to create a border, and didn't score the rubber coat with a knife before yanking the tape. So it got slightly pulled off with the tape. Overall, nice results though. The lack of personal experience with long-term durability keeps me from issuing a highest recommendation. In about 6 months I'll see how it's holding up and then report back with a final rating.The bottom line: an inexpensive way to rubber-coat any surface. Easy to use, and gives nice results.PRELIMINARY RagingRating: _________________________________________________________RagingRating Scale: = Excellent, Highest Recommendation = Recommended = Performed Adequately = Not Recommended = A Waste of Time And Money!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Houston

Post by Houston »

I used the dip for sealing electrical connections between strings of outdoor Christmas lights. I agree - it's great stuff.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

are these able to be purchased anywhere else other then lowe's for us canadian folks? i know in my area and many cities around me or that i've been too dont have a lowe's but we got rona, home depot, home hardware, plus canadian tire if that counts
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

oh nice, that is a great idea, mines already rusting cuz the paint is scratched off! ill get some of this...when i find time too
ragingfish

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »are these able to be purchased anywhere else other then lowe's for us canadian folks? i know in my area and many cities around me or that i've been too dont have a lowe's but we got rona, home depot, home hardware, plus canadian tire if that countsSorry, I wouldn't know.Check their site: http://www.plastidip.com
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Seems like it should be able to be found at any Home Improvemnet or hardware store.I think I have seen this product somplace before too, and i know it wasnt Lowes b/c there are no Lowes near where i live.I may have to track some down and perform this task as well for both my vehicles.
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »are these able to be purchased anywhere else other then lowe's for us canadian folks? i know in my area and many cities around me or that i've been too dont have a lowe's but we got rona, home depot, home hardware, plus canadian tire if that countscrappy tire in the hardware/plumbing/electrical section... this stuff is great. Plasti Dip your screwdrivers, wrenches, your dog... whatever you can.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

What if i did my tires? you think it would make my eagles last longer?
ragingfish

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »What if i did my tires? you think it would make my eagles last longer?i think it would last a couple of feet with those kinda forces acting on it. it ain't THAT durable.

2009 PONTIAC G8