Windows scratched....HELP!!!!

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
gpk99

Windows scratched....HELP!!!!

Post by gpk99 »

during this past winter in cleaning the windows of ice and snow i used your basic run of the mill plastic scraper.BUT I've noticed that it has left scratches on the glass.I talked to the dealer about it and thuey informed me that the VIBE glass has plastic incorporated into the glass and this may be why the scraper has been scratching the glass.I find this truly wierd in that I have always thought that GLASS was GLASS.NOW.....can these scratches be removed using some sort of solvent or chemical thinking that it is just residue from the scraper or is the "GLASS" scratched permanently?
binary

Re: Windows scratched....HELP!!!! (gpk99)

Post by binary »

The windshield is a sandwich of safety glass and laminate plastics that prevent the horrible injuries you use to get when head meets windshield of yesteryear.I've been told there is a layer of plastic, a very thin one, on the outside of the glass. Typically to protect the glass from chips and normal road wear - but ends up getting beat to hell a lot sooner than the glass would - but prevents bigger chips or spider cracks a lot better.You may have embedded a particle of sand or other debris in your plastic scrapper.. and then damaged the plastic. That sucks. But call a autoglass company and see what they can do. I remember they use to offer polishing at a pretty good rate to get rid of excessive pitting. Maybe they can help.