washing

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Benny

washing

Post by Benny »

does anyone use that Mr. Clean wash stuff for vehicle and if so how does that work? I think I might need to wash the vehicle anyways because of the sap and everything on from sitting under a tree.
tcam

Re: washing (Benny)

Post by tcam »

i think ur talking about the Mr.Clean stuff that dries by itself. If you are, it works great. It truly doesn't leave any spots or anything. Great stuff!
binary

Re: washing (tcam)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »i think ur talking about the Mr.Clean stuff that dries by itself. If you are, it works great. It truly doesn't leave any spots or anything. Great stuff! I'm on the fence about this rig. I ran out and bought it because it sounded great.My opinion was that the soap was weak - but did dry nicely when you rinsed it with the built in water ionizer.The cons were the cost of consumables... after a month or so you're buying new soap and new water softener carts... after 6 months - you've spent a lot of money.I added up the costs - and after two months tossed it in my toolbox drawer and went out and bought some top notch car soap, a microfiber wash mit, and a couple of big ol' fresh off the lamb shammies. And came out even
tcam

Re: washing (binary)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by binary »The cons were the cost of consumables... after a month or so you're buying new soap and new water softener carts... after 6 months - you've spent a lot of money.Very true. That stuff goes quick and will cost a fair amount after a while. But you can't beat all the time that u save from not having to dry ur car!
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

I bought it, and don't think I used it more than twice before I flat out threw it in the garbage. It didn't get the car clean at all. To get the dirt off, I still had to scrub with a mit, which defeated the purpose of buying it in the first place. I used it just for the spot free rinse a couple times, but it just wasn't worth the effort. I didn't even try to give it away - it went right in the garbage (even extra soap I had purchased).I bought a wand that you could put soap in at Costco, but ended up tossing that as well. IMHO, there's no substitution for the old fassioned way - good soap, a mit, and some elbow grease...
Scott
dalemccl

Post by dalemccl »

I found that for the washing part, the only savings in time is not having to full up a bucket with soap and water. And that time savings is mostly offset by the time it takes to fill up the Mr. Clean soap resevior. The real pay-off came with using the spot-free final rinse. It really did dry by itself with very few water spots. And we have hard water around here - if I allowed it to dry by itself using regular hose water, it would be covered with water spots. For me, hand drying is the most labor-intensive part of washing the car. Mr. Clean allows me to avoid that.I bought the "pro" version which promises 5x the water pressure. It does have a setting where it streams a pencil width beam of water at higher pressure, but it didn't seem any stronger than you could get with a good hose nozzle. I don't think it was worth the extra $15 the pro version costs over the regular version, although you do get a plastic case to store everything in, which I don't think the basic version has..
SuperSpeedWagon

Re: washing (dalemccl)

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

the only thing that I have ever liked is Armor All. I use the bottles that you dont need a bucket all you do is put water on your car put a little bit of soap on to where you want to wash your car and then rinse off. the wax is pretty easy too!! I love Armor All products they have never let me down to when ever i want that awesome look in the interior, exterior, and even tire cleaner!
2010 vibe gt
scott_h

Re: washing (dalemccl)

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by dalemccl »if I allowed it to dry by itself using regular hose water, it would be covered with water spots. Did you know that by rinsing without "spraying" the water it greatly reduces water spots? I don't even put a nozzle on the hose. By just letting the water stream gently across the surface, I have virtually eliminated water spots. I had pretty bad water spots before I started doing this...
Scott
Benny

Re: washing (scott_h)

Post by Benny »

Northvibe, Suggested just using dishsoap would work fine I may go that route. Then I guess I just need to buy the claybar and wax.
Benny

Re: washing (SuperSpeedWagon)

Post by Benny »

so what do you use then?
Benny

Post by Benny »

ok everyone I did search on Auto Zones website here in St. Cloud and I was wondering does anyone use Meguiar's Deep Crystal wash? They also have Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash? then for wax they have meguiar's gold class - paste.thanks for the inputBenny
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by Benny »Northvibe, Suggested just using dishsoap would work fine I may go that route. Then I guess I just need to buy the claybar and wax. You will definitely need the wax afterwards, because the dishsoap will strip the existing wax right off.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
scott_h

Re: washing (NUBlackshirts)

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »You will definitely need the wax afterwards, because the dishsoap will strip the existing wax right off.Absolutely - it is not recommended to use dish soap very often. I typically use it only when I'm going to clay/polish/wax (so twice a year).
Scott
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by Benny »ok everyone I did search on Auto Zones website here in St. Cloud and I was wondering does anyone use Meguiar's Deep Crystal wash? They also have Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash? then for wax they have meguiar's gold class - paste.I use the Meguiar's Gold Class - got a huge jug of it at Sam's Club. I think I've had it for 3 years, and I'm half-way through it.Auto Zone will have all kinds of waxes. So will Checker, Bumper to Bumper, etc. I know Auto Zone carries Clay Magic.It depends what you're looking to do. I use the Meguiar's NXT, and like it a lot. To add an extra shine, use the Meguiars #7 polish before waxing. They also have a cleaner wax to use for their 3 step process if you need it. I typically use the #7 followed by NXT.
Scott
dalemccl

Post by dalemccl »

Quote, originally posted by scott_h »Did you know that by rinsing without "spraying" the water it greatly reduces water spots? I don't even put a nozzle on the hose. By just letting the water stream gently across the surface, I have virtually eliminated water spots. I had pretty bad water spots before I started doing this...Didn't know that. I will try it Thanks.
Benny

Post by Benny »

All I am looking to do is wash the vehicle and keep a good shine on it. So the stuff I rattled off here would that work? Or I wonder if I did that on a different thread.