Make your engine bay shine

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
4azdmunky

Make your engine bay shine

Post by 4azdmunky »

I learned this from a guy who details cars a couple of years ago, been doing to all of my cars ever since.On a cold engine, not hot, don’t want to crack the engine block:1. Spray the engine down with water.2. Spray the engine with SimpleGreen, let sit for 20 minutes3. Rinse with water.4. While engine is still wet, spray with tire foam.5. Let sit for 20 minutes6. Mist engine bay with water to even out foam coat.7. Let dry or drive.Only thing, the engine tends to get "furry" over a month or two.
zionzr2

Re: Make your engine bay shine (4azdmunky)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by 4azdmunky »....Only thing, the engine tends to get "furry" over a month or two.Furry???
MoonDogg

Re: Make your engine bay shine (zionzr2)

Post by MoonDogg »

I Second that motion... FURRY???Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Furry???
2004 Vibe GT Fusion OrangeOptions: M&T, Monotone Paint, 35% TintMods: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X659 HU, Orion CS200.4 amp, Kicker Comp VR 10" sub, Megan Racing STB, Injen CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, brass shifter bushing, underbody orange neon's.
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

Wasn't aware that my engine could grow hair... is that an extra option?
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

"engine tends to get "furry" over a month or two"...in the event that fur last for 4 or more hours, contact a physician immediately (or call your friends and brag!) i'm guessing that the tire foam attracts dust/dirt to the point where things get 'furry'.
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
4azdmunky

Re: (Atomb)

Post by 4azdmunky »

LOL ..yea the oil in the foam tends to collect things like fuzz, small critters and the occasional homeless person.
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

And you don't cover anything? I've always been nervous to clean my engine...
Scott
4azdmunky

Re: Make your engine bay shine (scott_h)

Post by 4azdmunky »

everything that craps out when wet is already covered, and since our cars have individual coil packs per spark plug, and they are under the cover, there is no problem.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

What kind of "tire foam"?
4azdmunky

Re: Make your engine bay shine (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by 4azdmunky »

Any brand works, I've used several and had the same results
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

I've subscribed for when the detailing weather arives...
Scott
Kingslayer

Re: Make your engine bay shine (scott_h)

Post by Kingslayer »

Quote, originally posted by scott_h »And you don't cover anything? I've always been nervous to clean my engine...Don't be.I routinely wash the engine of my Nissan Frontier at the car wash. I spray the entire engine bay down with either the engine cleaner or tire cleaner, what ever is available, let it sit for a few minutes, and then spray it off with the low pressure spray. Never had a single problem, and if you looked at my engine bay of my truck you would think it just rolled off the showroom floor, and has never seen door handle deep mud holes every other weekend.And don't worry about water cracking a hot block. It takes very cold water to do so. You aren't going to accomplish it with a garden hose.
4azdmunky

Re: Make your engine bay shine (Kingslayer)

Post by 4azdmunky »

yea if the house water is that cold from the hose, ...move out of Alaska. I just threw that in as a disclamer. Dont want someone to blame me in case something happened.
4azdmunky

Re: (silverawd26)

Post by 4azdmunky »

Yea, Simple Green is the best for getting all the crap off.I used it on my old 83 Jeep Cherokee. Afterwords everyone asked me if I got it repainted, ...i washed it. No one realized that it was white, everyone thought it was gray. So it works on paint too.
Mrizzle05

Re: (4azdmunky)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

i thought you had to cover the alternator???I usually just took a wet shop towel and cleaned what shows... but tomorrow ima have clean engine!!! Thanks for the tips.
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
1fstramand1slovibe

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by 1fstramand1slovibe »

just be careful if you have an aftermarket intake that has an exposed filter you really dont wanna get it wet or get that tire foam on it . i imagine it would be a pain to get off of filter material and might possibly get sucked in the engine
4azdmunky

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by 4azdmunky »

I've never had to cover the alt, and have never had a problem. The coils are coated with a clear epoxy, and are already exposed to the elements.
4azdmunky

Re: (1fstramand1slovibe)

Post by 4azdmunky »

the foam is diluted with the final misting step, but you have a good point. While this has not been an issue for me before, it would be a good idea to let the filter dry a little before stating the car. Luckily the CAI's for the vibe run to inside of the driver side fender. SAR's are a different story.
Four Ways

Re: Make your engine bay shine

Post by Four Ways »

I have been cleaning my engines with Mean Green for years. After it is well dry by using a leaf blower and waiting overnight I spray it down with high temp clear paint. Talk about shine! The clear also helps protect from future corrosion, seals the connectors and makes it easier to clean next year. I always get comments from mechanics. I can't help but think when they work on my engine they take a little extra caution since I obviously do. If they don't, I am on good footing to tell them to be careful.