411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
JohnC

411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths?

Post by JohnC »

Does anyone have the scoop on the micro fiber drying cloths from Costco? After a couple washings they seem to have lost their absorbency. We followed the directions and did not use fabric softener. They are made from 80% polyester and 20% polyamide. When new they had a somewhat sticky feel to them, now that it is mostly gone. I have always used 100% cotton for drying my vehicles, but these worked a lot better so I would like to figure out how to clean them without ruining them. Any info would be appreciated.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
JustinVGT

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (JohnC)

Post by JustinVGT »

I bought one of these Absorber towels: . You can find them at most places that sell car wash supplies and they work great. They absorb lots of water and don't leave any lint or fuzz like some other chamis or towels do.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
tnpartsguy

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (JohnC)

Post by tnpartsguy »

I too bought an ABSORBER, and after several uses and washings, it too became useless, I think it's the way the product is designed.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
JustinVGT

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (tnpartsguy)

Post by JustinVGT »

I bought mine over a year ago, but have probably only used it 4-5 times. It's holding up fine, but I guess I'll find out how long it will last. I actually just put it on my new boat yesterday for soaking up water but haven't needed to use it yet.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
GMJAP

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (JustinVGT)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by JustinVGT »I bought one of these Absorber towels: . You can find them at most places that sell car wash supplies and they work great. They absorb lots of water and don't leave any lint or fuzz like some other chamis or towels do. I got one of those too and it's awesome! (OK it sounds weird getting so exited over a towel - it's very good at least! )I've heard great things about microfiber cloths for cleaning inside windows, though. Got some on order...
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
scherry2

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (JustinVGT)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by JustinVGT »I bought one of these Absorber towels: . You can find them at most places that sell car wash supplies and they work great. They absorb lots of water and don't leave any lint or fuzz like some other chamis or towels do. I bought 1 of those 2 years ago and am still using it.
mcgusto82

Re: 411 on Cleaning Microfiber Drying Cloths? (scherry2)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i used to use those before MR clean auto dry. yes, they are designed to wear out. you should be able to get quite a few dries out of them before they stop sucking water. MR clean auto dry is much better, easier and last longer than those shimmies.
RIT

Hi Jack !

Post by RIT »

Nice job on hijacking the original thread.Taking care of your microfiber products is pretty easy, there are just a few things that you should remember to keep your products effective and long lasting. You can wash and dry your microfiber products in your household washer and dryer, with warm water and low heat. To keep your microfiber "like new": Do not use Bleach Do not use Fabric Softener Do not wash with other cotton products. Microfiber products do not like bleach, bleach breaks down the polyester and polyamide micro-filiments, rendering them less effective. Fabric softeners provide a layer of "softeness" on your clothing, which is nice for clothing that you wear, but this coating clogs the microfibers, rendering them less effective. It is not that microfiber products do not like cotton products or other fabrics, it is that when you wash your cotton products with microfiber the microfiber products grab and hold onto the lint that the cotton produces. So if you do not want your microfiber towels to lint then you should not wash them with cotton products.Some users of microfiber, automotive, janitorial, need a more effective way to remove dirt, grime, oils, and etc. from their microfiber towels, and Household detergents just don't do the job. Many users like to keep their microfibers in prestine condition, for this there is the original Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent.
JohnC

Re: Hi Jack ! (RIT)

Post by JohnC »

Hey thanks for the info RIT. We will stop washing them with the cotton ones.I will look for the Absorber brand and give it a try.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.