New Way To Disable DRL's

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
jessep19

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (Hawke)

Post by jessep19 »

After this mod, does this mean you can control the headlights and fogs lights independently or do the fog lights still come on after the night lights are turned on?
porkchop62

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (jessep19)

Post by porkchop62 »

The way I did it, I have full control. I did this mod about 6 months ago, and so far no ill effects.
jessep19

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (porkchop62)

Post by jessep19 »

Perfect ill give it a try and see what happens
jessep19

Post by jessep19 »

Just did the mod and dosent make the fogs turn on independently. Any ideas??
porkchop62

Post by porkchop62 »

I checked mine out, and it works the same way (no independent fog lights). The mod essentially works the same as pulling the parking brake before starting your car, except that you can activate it while your car is running. The independent fog light issue is the way the lighting circuits were designed, so I have no idea how to overcome that without rewiring to the lamps. For me, I usually forget I have fog lights. They just make the car look cool! lol
MrHatchWagon

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (porkchop62)

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Same here, and one of mine didn't work/the other one broke. So I made some covers to put on them, problem solved
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
Nitr0

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's

Post by Nitr0 »

did the snipping the yellow wire and grounding it mod, nothing happened at all, auto lights AND DRLs still work perfectly fine, any ideas? and yes I got the correct yellow wire, its also still cut and nothing at all changed
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

i am new to the vibe forums, i have just read all the posts to this topic and am wondering is the yellow wire cut and ground or the red with white to disable the DRL and auto headlights applicable to the '06's as well, I have been told that the 06 has some different wiring patterns than any other year Vibe. would love to do this mod but want to make sure of the correct wires first...thanks and am loving this forum.

kevin
trondsenjd

Post by trondsenjd »

Worked for me, so happy! Snipped the yellow wire, grounded right to the screw holding the DRL module onto the frame, started the car (at night), and no more auto-headlights or drl's!

My reason (other than the stalking) is the drive-in movies. It is SO annoying not being able to have the car running without the headlights coming on. If you're there for more than one movie, you may need to run your car for a bit to charge the battery, but with the auto-lights this made it impossible without ruining the movie or getting kicked out. Last year when I realized that my girlfriend and I ended up sharing a set of earbuds through an mp3 player to watch the second movie rather than killing the battery, not optimal...

Sometimes I really can't stand these 'auto' features. I drive with headlights on every single time anyway and have for years, don't need the car to turn them on for me.

Thanks for the fix, it made my summer!
regnac

Post by regnac »

I have a 2010 Vibe, has anyone done this on the newer models?
My Garage - Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DennisLee

Post by DennisLee »

trondsenjd wrote:... My reason (other than the stalking) is the drive-in movies ...
People still go to drive-in movies?
petrodi

Post by petrodi »

Hi everybody!
After many years of looking how to disable the DRL on my Vibe 2006, I decide to do something and I find the way to disable or to use in other way the famous DRL.
My system is a plug and play at 90% and let my chose to have DRL or not. Nothing to cut, no uncomfortable positions and is 100% reversible! Just unplug the module!
With the help of one my friends (my idea and his work and pieces) we make a module to stop or transfer (to other bulbs like DEL) the power of the DRL. So no more head lights during the day and when the night come the head lights go on automatically if your car are the sensor . If you add some nice DEL’s you can use like DRL, your choice.
I add some pictures of my car so you can see the results.
For more info or if you are interested let me know.
Now because here is a lot of work and some pieces that have a cost.
The price is about $ 80.
Attachments
DRL on with a DEL strap lights
DRL on with a DEL strap lights
IMG_1.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
Head light in the hight
Head light in the hight
IMG_2.jpg (124.75 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Nice, why don't you introduce yourself in the lounge so we can get to know you a little better. Also, why not show us what all is involved with this module. Maybe give some technical info on it and some pics. I don't think anyone here will take your hard earned invention, we just like to hear how this mod installs and how it works.

Again, glad to see you here. Can't wait to see your introduction post and learn more about this mod.
hasalazar

Post by hasalazar »

Ok this is a totally different way to do it than you guys have talked about, yet its much easier. All I did was take the power wire (red with black) on the module, cut it, and ran it through a switch. Now I can turn the headlamps on or off whenever I want regardless of whether its day or night. In other words, its not affected by the dash sensor.I have 3 2008 VIbes for my business and we drive alot and I kept burning headlamps. This is the easiest solution. NO SOLDERING required :)
petrodi

Post by petrodi »

Hi! Now I have more info & pictures about my DRL.
The module content: relay, transistors, resistors.
Attachments
The module
The module
module.jpg (100.36 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
Module connected
Module connected
IMG_1168.JPG (155.9 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
My car
My car
IMG_1169.JPG (61.26 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
petrodi

Post by petrodi »

DRL on/off pictures
Attachments
DRL off
DRL off
IMG_1164.JPG (56.18 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
DRL on
DRL on
IMG_1162.JPG (54.88 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Do you need one unit per headlight? And is this $80 for 2 then? Very very interesting. There are some here that may like this for a projector setup to retain DRL. Myself being one.
regnac

Post by regnac »

hotbug1776 wrote:Do you need one unit per headlight? And is this $80 for 2 then? Very very interesting. There are some here that may like this for a projector setup to retain DRL. Myself being one.
Myself as well..

another question, where did you get the LED's under the headlight.
Also I heard that LED replacement bulbs are quite pricey if they burn out, but I guess you could just buy a new string.
My Garage - Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keko

Post by keko »

Old topic, but thanks just completed this!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Just call me grave digger lol. So I tried to do this with the yellow wire from the DRL module and install a switch and it didn't change anything. I have an 07 Vibe. I saw the yellow wire disables DRL's and AHL's so that's why I went with it. If I did it with the Red/White (I believe that was the color) wire, will it disable the DHL's and AutoLights?

***EDIT:***

Put the yellow wire back together and used the red/white wire. Did exactly what I needed. Thanks!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
chaosbydesign

Post by chaosbydesign »

I've got a 2003 Vibe that I'm trying to figure out the best way to disable/reroute the DRL. The goal here is to do a complete HID retrofit that will give me complete control over when my headlights are on (I want the parking light/headlight switch to actually be useful). I'm going through TRS for the components, and from talking with the rep so far they've said that in most applications their MotoControl Harness works well with reduced voltage DRL systems as the reduced voltage is usually enough to trigger the relay harness to cut the HIDs on (basically, my HIDs will be on all the time).

I'm still waiting to hear back from them to figure out what the exact required cut on voltage is to figure out the best way to proceed here, as I still want DRLs, I just don't want the headlights to be the DRLs. The plan is that if the cut on voltage is above what the DRL relay is putting out, then no mod required, unplug automatic light sensor and clip in a secondary harness to the OEM headlight connector to power some LED light strips or halos for the DRLs. If the cut on voltage is below what the DRL relay is putting out, then I'll need to disable/reroute the DRL away from the headlights to some halos/LED strips.

So in the event that the DRL voltage will flip the HIDs on, what's the best method to stop the DRL from hitting the headlight harness?
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

Can I still turn on my fog lights if I disable both DRLs and the Auto headlight functions? Please Help!!
Thanks!
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

I did this on 03 GT everything went well... Noticed the CD player doesn't work now... The FM works, it won't even switch over the CD player. Any thoughts?
pictsidhe

Post by pictsidhe »

HIDs are rated for 3000 hours, that usually involves driving well over 100,000 miles, is that really not enough bulb life? You're more likely to change your car before decent HIDs burn out.

Vibes, at least the ones up to 2008, don't reduce power to headlamps, at anytime, they are either on, or off. Some cars do dim headlights, but not 2003-2008 Vibes. Look at the wiring diagram or measure the voltage at the bulb if you don't believe me.

DRLs may save your a** when visibility is poor and you haven't turned your lights on. Never had trouble seeing a car when the sun was rising or setting behind it, or in mist/fog, or the rain was lashing down? I certainly have, if not hit, yet. If you wanna be 'cool' and drive with no lights, then I'm not going to convince you otherwise, but spare the nonsense reasons for doing so.

Lights are nearly useless in bright summer noonday sun, but many people forget or negect to turn them on when they really do help. I have little doubt that the light killers will often push that envelope.
Reysie

Post by Reysie »

My 1st time here and just finish getting rid of my DRL, great picture :) Everything working perfect
Tried installing HID which I had for over a year to no avail. When I purchase my HID came with a note not to install until DRL relay was removed.
Is there such a thing on a 2003 Vibe? I figure by cutting the wire and grounding it will eliminate the DRL system.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Reysie wrote:My 1st time here
Welcome Reysie. Do us GenVibe members a favor and open up a new thread introducing yourself and definitely give us the background history of your Vibe. As these great little cars rack up even more impressive miles, we here want to know what owners have done/ or are doing to prolong the life of the car(s). 338000 ??? Is this miles or Km? Where you from? You get the picture. Looking forward to hearing the story of your Vibe :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pictsidhe

Post by pictsidhe »

I've found a wiring diagram that does having a dimming feature.
To have DRLs operate at full power, connect pin1 of the DRL to ground. This is a high current connection, it is a red/black cable. be careful, there are other red/black cables... There is a white/black wire that is a ground.

My Vibe does not dim its headlights, I don't know why that is, yet...
Reysie

New genVibe member

Post by Reysie »

Thank you tpollauf for making yourself known to me. I really don"t know how to navigate is this site. You mention to open up a new thread, what is that?
I also read that a multitude of Forum accounts is subject to be ban of all related accounts.
Is forums and thread the same thing?
My name is Rey. I'm 58 yrs old worked on cars since high school, live in Rochester , NY.New with computers, can you tell :) Proud 2nd owner of 2003 Vibe base wagon, 1.8, with 338,516.3 miles. The Vibe was batter to me for work that I perform with 316,500 miles on it. Nothing mayor has been done to it. It burns like a qt of oil every two weeks. I added a lowering kit:, 18X8 ASA AR2 wheels, Continental, 225/40/18, Extreme contact DWS. Front Upper Strut Bar, FRONT Drill Rotors & Ceramic Pads, INNER & 2 OUTER TIE RODS, Rear Brake Drum, Ignition Coil set, JBL GTO628 6.5" - 6.75" 360W 2 Way Car Coaxial Audio Speakers on all four doors and a set of fuel injectors that I put in last week.
I did manage to disconnect the DRL by cutting the yellow wire and grounding it, but I cannot seen to make my LED to come on, the high beams work.
Is there a relay to completely eliminate the DRL? Thank you for all your help. Reysie
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

...and the thread lives on. I just cut the R/W wire next to the large wires (pin 10) to disable the DRL to eliminate an annoyance on the Vibe I just bought. I could not find a yellow wire on mine, but the correct R/W was very easy to find and cut.

If any of the originators of this thread are still around, thanks for this fix.