New Way To Disable DRL's

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
joatmon

Re: (2ruSpeed)

Post by joatmon »

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=12376 is about foglights anytime, if thats what you wantI can't remember for sure, but I expected having auto headlights with no DRLs is something the HID crew would have figured out. If they haven't, then here is a hack at a way of doing it. If someone already has a better way, then post up the link and ignore the followingFirst, here is a PDF of the headlight circuit from the 03 matrix manual

Attached files 017hl.pdf (59.5 KB) 
joatmon

Re: (joatmon)

Post by joatmon »

THe DRL module controls the lights by putting out grounds and half grounds. WHen it wants the headlights to come on, it puts out a ground on the H-LP wire, which causes the headlight relay to close, and sends power to the headlights. If it wants ful headlights, it puts a ground on the DRL line, giving the full battery voltage across the headlights, and they come on full. If it wants high beams, it also puts out a ground on the H-LP and the DIM lines which causes 12V to hit the second filaent int he headlights, and you get highbeams.When the headlights are on, it also puts out a ground on the tail line. This closes the tail relay, which puts power to the tail lights, and lights up the indicator in the dash. WHen high beams are on, it puts out a ground on the H-LP and DIM lines, which closes relays and puts 12V on both filaments in the headlight bulbs, but it also puts out 12V (or perhaps open) on the DRL line, taking away the low beam ground, so the low beams don't light up when the high beams are on.THe hard part is finding way to get rid of that half ground and let everytthing else work normally. I think if you cut the DRL wire, and put a relay in there switched by the tail light ground, so that when the tail lights were on, the low beam headlights ground would be conected directly to ground, and open other times, it should still work as before, except that when the DRL module tried to go into DRL mode, with half bright headlights, the headlights would stay off. Since the headlights are fused by a 40A fuse, you'd want a relay that could handle at least that much current. The problem would be that in high beam mode, the low beams would still be grounded, and you'd end up with both filaments at the same time. Not sure if the fuse or the plastic in the headlights can handle that much current/heat. So, then you'd need to add another relay to act as a hgh beam cutout, to open the low beam circuit when the high beams were on.
98ex

Post by 98ex »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »Is this parking/fog mod the one where I can turn my fogs on whether it's day or night? Cause I know I currently can't turn my fogs on until my lows are on.Yes, but your parking lights have to be on as well(with this mod your low beams are not required to be on). The only way to make it so that your fogs are the only lights on is to add a relay into the wiring mix(IMO too much of a hassled) With the mod I did, I turn on my parking lights and still have full control of my fog light via the stock switch. If I was to roll with just parking lights I can, or I can flip the switch and roll with parking and fog lights. One more flip of the switch and low beams are on.Here is the mod for the Matrix which I assume (you would want to check this) is the same for the Vibehttp://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=31171(I have also copied and paste this tutorial from MO.com) Quote »This mod will allow you to turn on the foglights when you switch the parking lights on. You will no longer have to leave the headlights on to use the foglights! Also, your foglights will stay ON when you switch to hi-beams! You will still have full control of the foglights with the stock switch.Some info to know:-Canadian spec Matrixes don't have the same fog light switch wiring so this method will not work for them.-It's a good idea to disconnect the (-) cable from your battery terminal before doing any wiring modifications. This is to prevent and shorts during the cutting.-If you use the tap in connectors pictured, make sure you buy the right size. They need to be able to at least fit 18 gauge sized wiring. If the connectors you buy are too big, they will not properly pierce the wiring insulation. -Also make sure you clamp them tightly. THEY NEED TO PIERCE THE WIRE INSULATION to make a good connection.First, you will need to Disable your Daytime Running light/Autolight featurehttp://matrixowners.com/forums...t=120 (Look for anomatrix's pics near the middle of that page.)Materials:-Tap-in connector ($1.69/4pk at Radio Shack)-Phillips screwdriver-Snips-Pliers-10 minutes of your time1. Remove the lower section of the steering column cover by loosening the 3 screws. Two screws are between the steering wheel and the base cover. The third one is just to the right of the tilt-wheel lever.2. On the lower-left side of the steering column is a white wire harness. Separate the GREEN/WHITE and GREEN/ORANGE wires from the rest of the bundle.3. Take your snips and cut the GREEN/ORANGE wire. Make sure you leave some wire length to work with.4. Take the GREEN/WHITE wire and splice it with the length or GREEN/ORANGE wire closest to the plastic harness. Make sure the metal blade on the tap-in pierces all the way through the wire insulation.I used the pliers to clamp the connector's blade onto the inserted wires then I closed the hasp.5. Insulate the tip of the left over GREEN/ORANGE wire. I just clamped it underneath the hasp that keeps the splicer closed. This will keep it from shorting against anything.6. Test it out to see if it works.Parking lights with foglights | Hi-beams with foglights.7. Re-assemble the column cover.
2ruSpeed

Re: (98ex)

Post by 2ruSpeed »

I found this over at MO:http://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=296442003 Pontiac Vibe (and Toyota Matrix), Toyota Corolla Automatic headlight and DRL disable information. DRL module located above brake pedal. Remove module. Cut connecting legs to the board, pins 19 & 20, to kill auto lights. Kill DRL, cut legs 10 and 11, leave board side of 10 open, connect board end of 11 to ground (external switch or to leg 2), connect outgoing 10 and 11 to each other. Method 2 Kill both DRL and auto lights, cut yellow wire (or leg 8 DRL relay), ground the module end of wire. Does that actually kill the DRL and leave alone the autolight?98ex thanks for the info on the foglight mod
98ex

Post by 98ex »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »I found this over at MO:http://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=296442003 Pontiac Vibe (and Toyota Matrix), Toyota Corolla Automatic headlight and DRL disable information. DRL module located above brake pedal. Remove module. Cut connecting legs to the board, pins 19 & 20, to kill auto lights. Kill DRL, cut legs 10 and 11, leave board side of 10 open, connect board end of 11 to ground (external switch or to leg 2), connect outgoing 10 and 11 to each other. Method 2 Kill both DRL and auto lights, cut yellow wire (or leg 8 DRL relay), ground the module end of wire. Does that actually kill the DRL and leave alone the autolight?98ex thanks for the info on the foglight mod By the sounds of that walk through, it sounds like you will be abel to disable DRL and leave auto lights. I am not sure though cause I did not do mine that way. If it works for you, then this is definately a Mod I will do (I will need to reconnect my red/white wire) and disable DRL's only.
98ex

Post by 98ex »

Also that post you linked to, I HATE IT. Someone has something in that post that locks up my browser because it is trying to download a picture from google syndication. I can never see anything more than the first 5 posts.
98ex

Post by 98ex »

Here is a great how to for disabling the DRL/Autolights together and adding a switchhttp://www.electrolund.com/2005/02/matrix-drl-mod/
jbk

Re: (Yellow Wire Mod)

Post by jbk »

Hey all,I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and wanted to disable the DRL feature. I spent a lot of time searching the web without finding anything that specifically addressed my car. The closest thing I could find was this thread. So anyways, after seeing that my car appeared to have the same Relay Assy Running Light module and wiring harness that is pictured earlier in this thread a few times (The pics showing the yellow wire to cut, which end to ground, etc), I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to report that it worked perfectly. I just wanted to post my result so that hopefully other people looking to disable the DRL feature on a 2004 Toyota Corolla can save a bunch of time searching around by finding this post! It works!-Joe
2ruSpeed

Post by 2ruSpeed »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »I found this over at MO:http://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=296442003 Pontiac Vibe (and Toyota Matrix), Toyota Corolla Automatic headlight and DRL disable information. DRL module located above brake pedal. Remove module. Cut connecting legs to the board, pins 19 & 20, to kill auto lights. Kill DRL, cut legs 10 and 11, leave board side of 10 open, connect board end of 11 to ground (external switch or to leg 2), connect outgoing 10 and 11 to each other. Method 2 Kill both DRL and auto lights, cut yellow wire (or leg 8 DRL relay), ground the module end of wire. Does that actually kill the DRL and leave alone the autolight?98ex thanks for the info on the foglight mod Hey guys I FINALLY got around to doing this mod, the DRL's are gone, but the autolight function doesn't seem to work properly so far. They go off when I drive out of the garage, but don't turn on when I drive back into the garage. I'm going to see if it works later tonight though. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Keep us posted... I'm interested...
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
2ruSpeed

Post by 2ruSpeed »

From what I've tried out last night, this is what happens:- DRLs are now completely disabled- AutoLight is half working, as in the lowbeams will turn off if you go from a dark area to a bright area- from what I have experienced, the AutoLight will not turn on the lights when it is getting dark outside, that or it is very very slow... (I've only tried it for a day so far)So far, this method is okay if you don't mind it not turning on when it gets dark (I usually don't drive around when the sun is setting, and even then if it doesn't work I just turn it on manually). I might have something wired incorrectly or a bad ground, but I will keep updating if there is any difference.
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »From what I've tried out last night, this is what happens:- DRLs are now completely disabled- AutoLight is half working, as in the lowbeams will turn off if you go from a dark area to a bright area- from what I have experienced, the AutoLight will not turn on the lights when it is getting dark outside, that or it is very very slow... (I've only tried it for a day so far)So far, this method is okay if you don't mind it not turning on when it gets dark (I usually don't drive around when the sun is setting, and even then if it doesn't work I just turn it on manually). I might have something wired incorrectly or a bad ground, but I will keep updating if there is any difference.So 2ruspeed any updates? I am looking to get a set of HID's and need to know if this works. also any pix or anything or could you explain it in a way i might understand. im not that bright on electrical terms
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Hey folks sorry to resurrect this old thread. I just got my HID's and was going to attempt the disable method. The only problem I have is a few questions that linger and I need the expert advice.1)On Matrix Owners they talk about cutting just the red and white wire in pin #12 of the DRL module. Will that work on our Vibes? I know about the yellow wire mod but this one seems very simple. Just snip and your done? Anyone tried it?2) If I painted the Autosensor black would I even need this mod as the lights would be on all the time?3)Why is the DRL bad for HID's?Thanks for the help everyone.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
NascarXprt

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by NascarXprt »

i can only answer #3. with DRL's nad HID's the constant tunring on and off throughout the day puts alot of wear and tear on the HID's and shortens the life of them. thats as much as i gather from reading threads about them.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
Celtic_Curse

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks for the reply.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

The main issue with DRL's and HIDs is the fact that the DRLs are drawing a lower (wattage or voltage unsure which) to supply the halogen bulb. The HID ballast requires more power in order to ignite the bulb, therefore can cause flickering issues and cause premature wear on both the bulb and ballast. It can also ruin the ballast period. Now if you paint the autosensor black, you are mainly just going to burn through the bulb and ballast a lot quicker than if you would use them at appropriate times.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks I appreciate the responce.
2002sportside

Post by 2002sportside »

On a Vibe it's still a red/white wire, but it's at pin #10 (connectors are different). Easiest way to find it - there are two thicker wires in the connector, the r/w wire you want is right next to them. Cut and tape it off and you are done (or use termination connectors). Make sure you leave enough wire each way just in case... If you still crave DRLs, you can wire your fogs for that purpose.
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
kevera

Re: (2002sportside)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by 2002sportside »On a Vibe it's still a red/white wire, but it's at pin #10 (connectors are different). Easiest way to find it - there are two thicker wires in the connector, the r/w wire you want is right next to them.I thought it was pin 12,and what connectors are different?
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 2002sportside »On a Vibe it's still a red/white wire, but it's at pin #10 (connectors are different). Easiest way to find it - there are two thicker wires in the connector, the r/w wire you want is right next to them. Cut and tape it off and you are done (or use termination connectors). Make sure you leave enough wire each way just in case... If you still crave DRLs, you can wire your fogs for that purpose.I am afraid you are incorrect. They are in the exact same location for the 03-08 vibe and matrix. I have done it to both cars and each and every time it's the same wire in the same location.the 09's are on the passenger side though.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
2002sportside

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by 2002sportside »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »I am afraid you are incorrect. They are in the exact same location for the 03-08 vibe and matrix. I have done it to both cars and each and every time it's the same wire in the same location.the 09's are on the passenger side though.The wire is in the same position, but the pin number is different. 2005 Vibe FSM shows the DRL relay as a 20 pin connector, while the 2005 Matrix FSM shows a 22 pin connector. Pics for comparison - on one you are looking at the front, the other the back...Matrix...Vibe...
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »1)On Matrix Owners they talk about cutting just the red and white wire in pin #12 of the DRL module. Will that work on our Vibes? I know about the yellow wire mod but this one seems very simple. Just snip and your done? Anyone tried it?2) If I painted the Autosensor black would I even need this mod as the lights would be on all the time?3)Why is the DRL bad for HID's?Thanks for the help everyone.1. dunno, but other's seem to have answered that question.2. you wouldn't need to do the mod, but then again the lights will be on all the time. that will cut the HIDs life down.3. from other threads i have read; leaving the lights on all the time wears out the HIDs faster. with the normal lights during the day they are on at about 60-70%(IIRC) and when it is dark enough or the driver turns the switch to on, they go 100% brightness. HIDs cannot function at that lower power percentage, there isn't enough power to get the arc going and it just ruins them.
None. Vibe is gone.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

O now i understand your just saying that the pin number is different, not that the wire is in a diff. location on the harness.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
2002sportside

Post by 2002sportside »

Yeah, it's just the pin. I think it all depends on which module you have, which may depend on where it is built. Of the how-tos I have seen, some have a Toyota module, others an Aisin.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Wow,that's weird.It's still the red/white wire to cut,right.Just want to make sure when I install mine.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
keithvibe

Re: (kevera)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Wow,that's weird.It's still the red/white wire to cut,right.Just want to make sure when I install mine.Yep.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

And just so I am clear its still the red/white wire beside the two big wires right? Thanks for all the help everyone.
2002sportside

Post by 2002sportside »

Yes, get out there and cut it. Regardless of which module you have, that is the wire. I still need to wire up my fogs as DRLs, but I needed a couple of relays to do it the way I wanted...
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks. I am going t add a male and female connector to the lines this way If I get into trouble I can reconnect easily. DRL's are mandatory here in Canada but judging from the number of cars with front tinted windows driving around with their under car lights on, the cops here won't stop me.
skylinedrifter

Post by skylinedrifter »

Time for a little thread necromancy...I have a 2003 and got all set to snip the yellow wire, crawled up under the pedals and found that I have no yellow wire.(removed)?
lovemyraffe

Re: (skylinedrifter)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Try this way. I've done this to mine (and then went back). http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38372
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
unfairtebo

Post by unfairtebo »

sorry to bring this back, i have an 08 vibe and just want to make sure this mod will work. I found the correct relay box and the yellow, i just want to double check. EDIT: from what i gathered from ready this whole thread if i cut the yellow wire and ground it I will do/ need to do the following; no more drl, no more autolights, if i want lights i will need to turn the switch on the left side of the steering wheel to turn my lights on. thanks
tribalman

Re: (unfairtebo)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by unfairtebo »sorry to bring this back, i have an 08 vibe and just want to make sure this mod will work. I found the correct relay box and the yellow, i just want to double check. EDIT: from what i gathered from ready this whole thread if i cut the yellow wire and ground it I will do/ need to do the following; no more drl, no more autolights, if i want lights i will need to turn the switch on the left side of the steering wheel to turn my lights on. thanks yes, if you do this you have to manually control your lights. if you do it my way you can keep the autolights! (sorry, just like to plug it. haha)
None. Vibe is gone.
unfairtebo

Re: (tribalman)

Post by unfairtebo »

thanks for the reply, I think im just going to do the yellow wire ground method. I understand that one the most.
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

So what would you recommend doing for a 2005 vibe? 1) I want to manually turn my lights on and off day or night. Frankly, I do not mind having the DRL's, but at least let me turn my headlights off at night if I chose.2) I would like my fog lights to operate using the stalk control and operate them as I chose.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
keithvibe

Re: (knightrace)

Post by keithvibe »

^^^ i know your new... but did you search?perhaps here: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=25918all the info your looking for is posted there
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Thanks. I'll check it out.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
victorhasheart

Post by victorhasheart »

Which does everone recommend?-- Red/white or Yellow?Also, are they located in the same place? I read the thread, but I got really confused haha. Sorry
03' VibeGT. Rear Tinted Windows, Low-Pro Amplified Subwoofer (passenger seat), Drop in K&N Filter, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs, +MORE COMING SOON
keithvibe

Re: (victorhasheart)

Post by keithvibe »

03-0809-10Most cut the red/white stripe wire pin12 for the 03-08the09-10 there is only the one method
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

yeah, i got confused as well. I don't mind the DRL, I just like to control my lights at night time.still not sure if just disconnecting the sensor on top of the dash will fix Auto Head Lights at night. What will it do to the DRL's. Won't it knock them out as well?
tribalman

Re: (knightrace)

Post by tribalman »

shouldn't affect the DRLs at all. it would be easy to pull the sensor. depending on your hand size you can pull out the far left panel that has an air vent and the controls for the mirror and see the cable. from the sensor the cable runs for about a foot or so and then there is a connector that you can just disconnect.
None. Vibe is gone.
victorhasheart

Post by victorhasheart »

I tried looking for the wire today. And got lost. I looked under the steering wheel column but wasn't sure exactly where to find the wires. Can any one help this n00b?
03' VibeGT. Rear Tinted Windows, Low-Pro Amplified Subwoofer (passenger seat), Drop in K&N Filter, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs, +MORE COMING SOON
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by victorhasheart »I tried looking for the wire today. And got lost. I looked under the steering wheel column but wasn't sure exactly where to find the wires. Can any one help this n00b?check the link in my sig, 3rd picture is where the DRL module is located. make sure you verify the correct wire before you cut. and don't forget to properly terminate the ends so they can't accidentally touch another wire or ground and short something out.
None. Vibe is gone.
rAERRK

Re: (binary)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by binary »IT WORKS on 2005 Vibes - just confirmed on mine.Wire 12 was the key. The photo above shows an arrow pointing toward a red/black wire which confused me - but thats #3. #12 is right behind it. It all made sense when I found the harness myself. And then looked at the photo again.I removed the lower steering column cover and layed on my back on the drivers side floor... not comfortable for ANY amount of time. I'm 6'2" and 275 pounds (that's 1.88 meters and 124 kilos for you metric people). And it's about 87F (30.5C) in my garage tonight... UGH!But it gave me enough room to see the DRL module and unplug it. Then I did all my work through the hole made by removing the lower steering column cover. When the wiring harness was free I prayed to every deity I could think of and then cut wire 12 (red with white tracer in pin #12). I tested the lights to make sure they still worked by plugging the DRL module back in and flipping the stalk... booyah!FYI - I have the foglight mod as well - and that still worked.I wired the two ends of wire 12 to a switch I put in one of the dummy plates and NOW I have control over the DRL and Auto-On headlights. i located wire 12 but it appears to be completely red
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

finding some conflicting information here...according to the chart, number 12 should be green/black, while others say its white/red, and i find it to be just red?
2002sportside

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by 2002sportside »

It's explained in the posts around that wiring diagram you posted. Pin #10 on that one is the one you want. Easiest way to find it - there are two thicker wires in the connector, the r/w wire you want is right next to them.
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by 2002sportside »It's explained in the posts around that wiring diagram you posted. Pin #10 on that one is the one you want. Easiest way to find it - there are two thicker wires in the connector, the r/w wire you want is right next to them.this has become really confusing. from what ive gathered, going by colors on the chart, the top row is actually on the bottom and vice versa. i can confirm it is the aisin module if that matters.so is it for sure the red/white in the supposed #10 spot, closest to the big black/white?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I disabled the DRL's on my Vibe then went back. If you are going to disable the DRL's I would recommend disabling the auto lights too. I had people giving me weird looks because my lights would go on and off around dusk.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
2002sportside

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by 2002sportside »

I don't remember the colors down there other than needing to cut the red/wht. But no matter what you have, for 03-08 it is the red/wht next to the two thick wires.
porkchop62

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (cohocarl)

Post by porkchop62 »

I tried the yellow wire mod on my 03 Vibe and connected it to a toggle switch, but found that only gave me the same control as if I clicked the hand brake one notch. Once the car was running, I could not turn off the lights. Thanks to other posts and a little luck, here is what I did to make it work: I cut the red/white wire (#12 wire) at the DRL module. I connected those wires to a toggle switch which I mounted on the dash. That gave me no control UNTIL I cut the yellow (and taped off both ends). With the switch closed (connecting the red/white DRL wire), the lights work normally. With the switch open, the lights turn off and I have full manual control. This works with the engine running. With the engine off and the switch open, I can even turn on my lights manually! And no ill effects like a "check engine" light. I suppose the lights will come on with the parking brake engaged, but so what, I have the switch!