New Way To Disable DRL's

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
ColonelPanic

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (NY Pete)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Sounds familiar... BOTH Silverstar fogs in my car died at the same time last week. I didn't suspect blown bulbs at first, but sure enough when I pulled the bulbs out, both were gone. Very strange to see a pair go at once, isn't it?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
philndz

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (ColonelPanic)

Post by philndz »

yep....when my xenons went it was both at the same time also.
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
AKLGT

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (philndz)

Post by AKLGT »

wow. that really sucks. just one of my silverstars went out a few weeks ago. but i went a head and replaced both bulbs. one was very noticeably brighter than the other. the used one, i'll keep for back up.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
NY Pete

Post by NY Pete »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Sounds familiar... BOTH Silverstar fogs in my car died at the same time last week. I didn't suspect blown bulbs at first, but sure enough when I pulled the bulbs out, both were gone. Very strange to see a pair go at once, isn't it?From what I've been able to find out - must've been a "voltage spike". Supposedly this is a much more common occurence with euro-spec bulbs (H1, H4, etc). North American spec bulbs are supoosedly built to be more resistant to this phenomena, but it does happen from time to time... *shrugging shoulders*Pete
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
joatmon

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (NY Pete)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by NY Pete »I finally diabled my DRL's with a switch. Works great!PeteI did this today, with one variation. My hands are too big and uncoordinated to be cutting/stripping wires up by the DRL module. I found out that the red w/wht wire goes to the juntion box over the glove compartment, and cut into the wire there where it was easier to get to. (some pictures of the juntion box are in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6403)The heater relay is the bigger, blue one. On the back of the junction block, there is one pin on the relay that has two red w/wht wires attached. One of them forms a loop and comes back to the junction block, the other goes off to the DRL module. I pulled gently on each of the two wires until the loop came out, and then cut into the other one. Found a switch that fits exactly in the blank panels by the dash coin holder, and ran some wires to connect the switch to the cut wire. I used some connector type terminals on the cut wires, so if I want to, I can disconnect my wires that run to the switch, and connect it back to stock config.Didn't really need to do it, but wanted to Will almost always leave it in the DRL/Auto headlight ON/Enabled mode, but at least now I have the Option of turning my lights off.EDIT - 6/10/2004 Thinking about it, probably easier to cut the wire by the DRL module instead of what I did, but I've already done it to mine, so no going back. No troubles, just that it seems it would be cleaner to do it by the DRL module, shorter wires and suchEdit - 12/18/2004Uploaded picture to show location of wire I cut at the junction block over the glove box

Attached files
ColonelPanic

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's

Post by ColonelPanic »

Probably has been asked before, but... Anyone know the pinout for the wiring harness that goes to the sensor?Thanks in advance!

Image Image
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Probably has been asked before, but... Anyone know the pinout for the wiring harness that goes to the sensor?Thanks in advance!Are you referring to the twilight sentinel sensor, or the DRL control module?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm not sure how much use the pinout would be. I guess you might be able to put a resistor or something in-l;ine to change the sensitivity of the the thing, but nkaltso had issues with the default way it behaved and took the car in to the dealer and they replaced the DRL module which addresed his concerns. His last post in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=4257 says:Quote, originally posted by "nkaltso in another thread" »I want to give everyone a quick update on how the new DRL unit the dealer installed for me under warrenty worked out.It is a sure fix. I now have no issue with the lights going on and off at the worng time under differnt lighting conditions. Im so happy with it because I have not even thought about the DRL darkening the gages and annoying me anymore. Other than that, you can either disconnect the sensor, which will keep you in DRL mode (prevent automatic full power headlights and tail lights) or cover the sensor with something opaque, which will prevent the DRL mode (after 15 seconds, always go into auto full power headlight mode regardless of daylight). Or cut a wire.What do you have in mind?
ColonelPanic

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I would like to wire in a switch to enable/disable just the sentinel. I want to retain the DRL's, and have the option of controlling the sentinel without yanking the gauge trim off and connecting or disconnecting the wiring. Probably can't be done, but it never hurts to ask. Didn't know if a switch could be wired inline to control what the sensor reports back to the DRL module.Right now, I've just got a piece of electrical tape over the sensor, if they're gonna come on during the day, they might as well stay on. One of these days, I'll get around to having the dealer replace that sensor...

Image Image
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

The pinout for the twilight sentinel sensor is as follows, according to the service manual (yay i finally got one!):1: Grn/Yel Daytime Running Lamps Control Module - Sensor Signal2: -------- Not Used3: Grn/Wht Daytime Running Lamps Control Module - Sensor Signal4: Grn/Blk Daytime Running Lamps Control Module - Sensor SignalHow helpful, lol.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
AKLGT

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (ragingfish)

Post by AKLGT »

anyone know where the headlight switch is? I know where the DRL is, but the headlight one?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Vibe

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (trdvibe)

Post by Vibe »

The headlight switch is on the end of the turn signal lever-Is that what you are talking about? or do you mean something else. I have done the mod and I have an entry at the beginning of this thread,. Be glad to help you anyway I can. James
AKLGT

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (Vibe)

Post by AKLGT »

no, i'm trying to bypass the fog light control so i can put in a separate independant switch to turn them on or off.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Vibe

Post by Vibe »

Yes-I too want to do that --as soon as I figure out the way I will let you know. James
AKLGT

Re: New Way To Disable DRL's (Vibe)

Post by AKLGT »

i am working on that this weekend. once i get it all figured out i will post how we did it.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Train

Post by Train »

So has any one put a switch in yet? How do you wire in the switch so when you flip it, it grounds the end going to the drl
joatmon

Re: (Train)

Post by joatmon »

I put a switch on mine. I cut the red wire with the white stripe instead of the yellow wire. If you cut the yellow wire, you have to ground one end. You don't have to ground an end if you cut the red/white wire. Makes it easier (a little, but really, not much). If you wanted to put a switch on the yellow wire, you'd need a switch with three terminals. A "single pole, double throw" SPDT, which means a single center, common terminal that can be switched between the other two terminals Connect the end that goes to the DRL module to the center terminal, and then a ground and the other end of the yellow wire to the other terminals. The switch would then switch the DRL module between ground and the normal yellow wire connection.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »no, i'm trying to bypass the fog light control so i can put in a separate independant switch to turn them on or off.The harness that attatches to the switches on the blinker lever is at the top of the steering column. Take off the plastic on the bottom of the column (there are three screws, one on bottom, two behind the wheel, turn the wheel to see them)There's (I think) a white harness all the way to the left side, that contains the wiring for the lights. Use a multimeter to see which one is for the fogs. I know the parking lights are strange, because they switch ground to turn them on, instead of +12, so the fogs might behave the same way.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
delmardale

Post by delmardale »

I put together a webpage showing how to put in the switch.http://dalenet.com/matrixvibe
89 Honda CRX HF (5 Speed)98 BMW M Roadster (5 Speed)04 Pontiac Vibe (5 Speed)08 Subaru Outback XT Limited (5 Speed)
AKLGT

Re: (joatmon)

Post by AKLGT »

funny thing is that i did this mod awhile ago and then earlier yesterday my drl's started coming on and off again!!! guess i'll have to crawl under there again and make sure the ground is intact. i think it come lose and that's why it's misbehaving. also, thanks, jahntassa for the info on the fogs. i will work on those this summer when it's warmer weather outside.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

Hope I do not know about your 2003 Vibe but on my 2004 on the multifunction switch for the headlights and signals, there is a switch that turns on my fogs or leaves them off. I can drive with my headlights on and my fogs off if I choose, which I don't lol. The switch is the same as the intermit mode for the wipers on the wiper switch, I just have to turn it forward to on, or back to off.Unless of course you were trying to figure out a way to have your fogs on and nothing else on, then ignore what I just said lol
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I think it was the "have your fogs on" concept.. Heh.I did that kinda thing on my Probe.. I think i'm going to end up putting headlight neons in the Vibe, just because i'm blaming the DRL module on blowing my silverstars in six months! I don't really need them on during the day, but I still like the concept of having front lights on, just so i'm more visible to others..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
AKLGT

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Unless of course you were trying to figure out a way to have your fogs on and nothing else on, then ignore what I just said lol exactly
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

any ideas why the drl's would mysteriously come back on? especially after disabling them and cutting the yellow wire, grounding it, over 6 mos ago??? maybe it's possessed! aaaghh!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Lava red'04

Post by Lava red'04 »

I don't mind the DRL's, but I hated that all the lights were on a lot of the time. My solution was to pop the sensor out of the dash and unplug it. I snapped the sensor back into the dash and now I have full contol over all the "normal" lights. The DRL's are still on, but for less than five minutes worth of effort, I can live with it.
'04 Lava RedMoon and Toons, Monotone, Alum. Wheels, Borla Exhaust, K&N Typhoon Intake, Tinted windows
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

My guess is that the ground somewhere came loose. Could have gotten kicked or something. Did you get a chance to try my method on making the foglamps independant?
AKLGT

Re: (Hawke)

Post by AKLGT »

no sorry, not yet. i have a house full of extra relatives... so it's been insane.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Ok the Red/White Wire is now snipped...shortly will add the switch. as soon as i get get a hole drilled big enough in the blank I got the simple radioShack on/off switch. and Like another on here am using some lamp type cord for the wire. I also will be putting on quick disconcets so that if need-be i can return to stock configuration....I dont mind having the drls, but Do want to beable to control them as well as the headlights. EDIT: I got the switch wired but still need the blank drilled so that i can mount and make the job look clean.
zionzr2

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by zionzr2 »

Here is a picture of the switch i used....NOT my VIBE though... I dont have a dig cam. I used the blank to the left of the one shown. I also dont have the gate release switch
vibe2003

Post by vibe2003 »

so basicly cut the yellow wire, ground it and tape the other end? what will happen if i cut teh yellow wire? what will happen if i cut the red/white wires? i know it already said, but i want to make sure, cause i'm doing this tommorw.
joatmon

Re: (vibe2003)

Post by joatmon »

cut the yellow wire = no changecut the yellow wire + ground the drl end = no drl or auto headlightscut the red/white wire = no drl or auto headlights
mfchris

Post by mfchris »

Hey Joatmon!! So is this red/white wire coming out of the same relay? and I'm assuming it's the only red/white wire there?I've got an '05 Corolla XRS and everything is looking the same under the dash according to the pics I've seen. Thanks chris
joatmon

Re: (mfchris)

Post by joatmon »

Well, since the Vibe is the same as the Matirx which is the same as a Corolla hatchback, then there is a good chance that the wiring in a vibe may match the wiring in a corolla, but I really offer absolutely no guarantee whatsoever. It seems like Toyota would use the same DRL module in Corolla and Matrix. I think there is only one red/white wire at the DRL module. I don't remember what pin number it was, and my Vibe is in the hospital so I can't go look I did the switch in the red/white wire mod, but cut the wire in a different place, a junction box above the glove box, and there were many red/white wires in there. this pdf is the headlight diagram from the 2003 matrix manual, might be useful in comparing your corolla to matrix/vibe wiring

Attached files 017hl.pdf (59.5 KB) 
mfchris

Post by mfchris »

yea, i've been looking at that too. It looks like the 03-05 are all the same body style and probably the same wiring. (Thanks for the diagram btw.) I'm probably gonna go ahead and cut it this weekend and see if it works out. I can always reconnect. AISIN relay just above the brakes is where I'm planning on making my splice. I'm planning on putting in a switch as well but I'm going to make the cut first and make sure it works and appears stable first. Thanks again for the info and diagramchris
mfchris

Post by mfchris »

Well, it looks like there are two red wires w/ white stripes. If you look at the picture in the second section of this thread you can see them both. One closer one farther away by about 3 pins on the connector and I'm not sure which number I'm supposed to cut. Let me know when you get your car out of the doctor's or if anyone else has done the red/white (easier mod) please let me know which wire is the one I need to cut. Thanks for your help.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

here's a pic from http://matrixowners.com/forums...12523, posted here for future reference, but check out that threadalso check out http://www.electrolund.com/blo....html, which has this connector pin out diagramyou want the red/white wire at pin 12

Attached files
mfchris

Post by mfchris »

OK!!!! For the 2005 Corolla Modders out there... This doesn't appear to be a good mod. I cut the wire specified and it cut the headlights out completely. (unless that's what it was supposed to do?) I wasn't going to add a switch until later and I had to reconnect the wires because this cut the headlights out completely. (thank goodness for screw-on wire connectors ) It was worth a try... I guess next I'll try grounding the yellow wire... but I'm in Texas and it's really hot outside and I've got big hands and getting the screw-on connector on was sort of a pain so I'm probably thinking... my security guy at work will have to deal w/ headlights when I pull up. Thanks for all your help joatmon, you're a class act... too bad this was a no go. thanks, chris
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

on mine, with the switch open, the headlights don't come on automatically, in either DRL or in auto headlights, but I can still turn on the headlights using the switch in the turn signal lever.sorry for this stupid question, but after you cut the wire did you try turning the headlights on manually?looks like the yellow wire method is supposed to work on corollashttp://www.vvt-i.net/forum/showthread.php?t=578
mfchris

Post by mfchris »

Not a stupid question really when you consider some of the people that post to forums Yea, I tried manually... it was a no go. I don't get it either. I even just did a test a little while ago thinking that maybe I'd left the parking brake on when I tried to turn them on but they come on w/ the wire connected and the parking brake on so they should've w/ the wire disconnected too. Yelllow ground will be my next step if I decide to keep pursueing it. You know how it is w/ a new car... you don't want to chop it all up right away It's too bad it didn't work, I would have been so happy if it had. It was worth a shot No harm done...thanks again.chris
binary

Post by binary »

Any progress on a 05 DRL/AutoHL Disable? Now that my iPod input is on hold - I'm looking at doing this mod. I got wire, switches, and tools... now for a diagram! I'm willing to try a few things that haven't been tried yet on '05's.So far it seems like the mod that worked on the '03 doesn't work now. That sucks - that would have been a clean and easy wiring job.
joatmon

Re: (binary)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by binary »So far it seems like the mod that worked on the '03 doesn't work now. That sucks - that would have been a clean and easy wiring job.I wouldn't say that. The red/white wire mod didn't work on an 05 corolla, and although corollas are the basis for both Matrix and Vibe, there was never any info to indicate that the wiring was identical between corolla and Vibe. Quote, originally posted by binary »I got wire, switches, and tools... now for a diagram! I'm willing to try a few things that haven't been tried yet on '05's. Be a guinea pig and see if the red/white wire mod works on an 05 Vibe.
binary

Post by binary »

Yeah, I was afraid someone would post it...Do I hear a "double dog dare" ? I'm scheduled to work 36 hours in the next three days, and complete two finals for school... so I won't be crawling under my dash for a few days. Okay - update - I've just found the c***s***ing DRL module... holy crap that thing is shoved WAY up there. Got my switch ready, and will be cutting the #12 wire as soon as I get back. (just tripple checking which wire was recommended to cut...)
binary

Post by binary »

IT WORKS on 2005 Vibes - just confirmed on mine.Wire 12 was the key. The photo above shows an arrow pointing toward a red/black wire which confused me - but thats #3. #12 is right behind it. It all made sense when I found the harness myself. And then looked at the photo again.I removed the lower steering column cover and layed on my back on the drivers side floor... not comfortable for ANY amount of time. I'm 6'2" and 275 pounds (that's 1.88 meters and 124 kilos for you metric people). And it's about 87F (30.5C) in my garage tonight... UGH!But it gave me enough room to see the DRL module and unplug it. Then I did all my work through the hole made by removing the lower steering column cover. When the wiring harness was free I prayed to every deity I could think of and then cut wire 12 (red with white tracer in pin #12). I tested the lights to make sure they still worked by plugging the DRL module back in and flipping the stalk... booyah!FYI - I have the foglight mod as well - and that still worked.I wired the two ends of wire 12 to a switch I put in one of the dummy plates and NOW I have control over the DRL and Auto-On headlights.
lennysh

Post by lennysh »

Has anybody found a way to instead of the headlight's being the drl's, make the fog's the drl's? And still make the auto-headlamp work right.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Gt (Abyss)
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

resurrecting thread cause its awesome, just did the method where u cut the red/white wire, sofar works perfectly, cept for some reason everyones talking about the screw holding the relay on, why not just pull the plug out and work with that, took me 5 seconds.
moongdss

Re: (manicdan)

Post by moongdss »

threadsurrection! I say LIVE!This si a great sounding mod... I can't decide if I want to go with yellow or red/white/switch!! Decisions decisions...There are/were three things I dislike about my darling Pandora:1. She thinks I am too stoopid to buckle my seatbelt by myself. 2. She thinks I am too dumb to turn on my own headlights. let alone turn them off when i want to run from the cops. 3. She thinks I may leap from the car at any moment whilst hurtling down the highway at top speeds.
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
2ruSpeed

Post by 2ruSpeed »

Bumping thread. Read through most of it, got two questions (sorry if answered, maybe didn't see it):- Is it possible to disable the DRL's BUT keep the auto light feature?- Has anyone done the independent fog mod for the Vibe?
98ex

Re: (2ruSpeed)

Post by 98ex »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »Bumping thread. Read through most of it, got two questions (sorry if answered, maybe didn't see it):- Is it possible to disable the DRL's BUT keep the auto light feature?- Has anyone done the independent fog mod for the Vibe?1st question - Sorry no. If you do the mod you lose Autolights. It is built into the module.2nd question - are you talking about adding the relay? I have done the parking/fog mod on my Trix and love it, but then again I have 6000K HID fogs.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (2ruSpeed)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by 2ruSpeed »- Is it possible to disable the DRL's BUT keep the auto light feature?Not sure I understand the question. If you install a switch, you can turn the DRL feature on and off as you like. That's what I did (thread).
2ruSpeed

Re: (98ex)

Post by 2ruSpeed »

Quote, originally posted by 98ex »1st question - Sorry no. If you do the mod you lose Autolights. It is built into the module.2nd question - are you talking about adding the relay? I have done the parking/fog mod on my Trix and love it, but then again I have 6000K HID fogs.Is this parking/fog mod the one where I can turn my fogs on whether it's day or night? Cause I know I currently can't turn my fogs on until my lows are on.Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »Not sure I understand the question. If you install a switch, you can turn the DRL feature on and off as you like. That's what I did (thread).I pretty much wanted to disable the DRL's, but also keep the autolight function where the lows turn on when it gets dark. But since they are one module I guess I'm SOL. I know I'm able to do accomplish this with my Mazda3, but I guess it's different with the Vibes/Matrix.