Hitch mounting issues

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Milesb

Hitch mounting issues

Post by Milesb »

I bought and installed a hitch on my 2008 vibe. The holes were already there and since the car has been through Midwest winters for the last ten years a bought a tap to clean rust out of the holes. I torqued three out of the four bolts to spec. The threading on the fourth hole stripped out and the bolt would only go so tight before slipping.
My major question is can I use the hitch for a bike rack with only three bolts. This would be the rack its self and two mountain bikes. 150 pounds total is a safe number( more like 60- 100 most of the time). I would never use a trailer or something with more weight on this hitch.

Plan B is to drill the hole out, use a tap and new bolt to install the fourth bolt.

Just trying to gauge if I can use my bike rack on the hitch or if I should hold of and install the fourth bolt is installed.

Thanks

-Miles
tpollauf

Re: Hitch mounting issues

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenViber Miles ;) I'd say you'll be fine with three good bolts seeing how you'll have minimal weight on it. As a precaution, check it after each use to verify that there wasn't any additional stress on the one good bolt. I think you'll be OK
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I agree with Tim. For good measure though, I'd end up tapping that 4th hole and installing the new bolt. If you were ever to sell the car, next owner might try to tow something with it and end up with a headache :)
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

Is there access above the threaded hole where you could feed a nut up there, or drop a bolt through the hole from the top? That would spare you from having the cut new threads.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

hogdoctor wrote:Is there access above the threaded hole where you could feed a nut up there, or drop a bolt through the hole from the top? That would spare you from having the cut new threads.
There is not. It threads into the unibody.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

perhaps an access hole could be made just large enough for a nut to pass through, a safe distance from the loaded area, and then plugged or sealed over afterward...
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree with Tim.
If it worries you anyway you could drill out the hole and tap it for a fatter bolt.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476