‘09 Vibe Vinyl Wrap - Gloss Dark Grey!

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
BAmes79

‘09 Vibe Vinyl Wrap - Gloss Dark Grey!

Post by BAmes79 »

I just got done wrapping my ‘09 Vibe base in avery Dennison Gloss Dark Grey!

I wanted a color that was unique but not too far “out there”, that wasn’t offered from the factory, and gloss because of the hot climate I live in. My original color was white and the paint was oxidizing a little and the hood had some significant rock chips. The car has been so good to me I couldn’t justify selling it when all it needed was some cosmetic TLC. This was my first full wrap and I had the help of my Dad. There are no seams or wrinkles on any of the body panels, I’m super happy with how it turned out!
SlammedNiss

Re: ‘09 Vibe Vinyl Wrap - Gloss Dark Grey!

Post by SlammedNiss »

DO you have experience with vinyl wrapping at all? Because that turned out really nice. I've done several vinyl wraps in the past (once a vinyl sign business owner) and I have to say that you did an excellent job. What vinyl did you use?
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Super SWEET. Congrats. Looks like the color of my friend's Karmann Ghia (I had the misfortune of sitting in the other day). How did you get those headlights so purdy? I was thinking of taking mine into Pep Boys to have the oxidation removed. As Seen on TV's Wipe New only lasts for a short while.
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

SlammedNiss wrote:DO you have experience with vinyl wrapping at all? Because that turned out really nice. I've done several vinyl wraps in the past (once a vinyl sign business owner) and I have to say that you did an excellent job. What vinyl did you use?
Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone who’s wrapped before!! The only experience I’d had was wrapping the hood and roof on my Dad’s car last year. I’ve also been going to the SEMA show since 2007 and have watched many skilled installers and learned a lot of their tricks and tips. Justin Pate from The Wrap Institute has helped the most. We used very little heat on the install, only on the rear bumper recess under the hatch, the door handle recesses, and recessed parts on the front bumper. The product helped a lot too, I used Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping film, which is awesome to work with!
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

Caretaker wrote:Super SWEET. Congrats. Looks like the color of my friend's Karmann Ghia (I had the misfortune of sitting in the other day). How did you get those headlights so purdy? I was thinking of taking mine into Pep Boys to have the oxidation removed. As Seen on TV's Wipe New only lasts for a short while.
Thank you!! The trick I used on my headlights was more of a cheat...I just bough brand new ones :D . I’d polished my old ones so many times and they just wouldn’t last long before they looked crusty again. Since I knew I’d be taking off my front bumper I spent the $144 on eBay for a new pair and plan to put clear,self healing wrap over them in hopes they stay shiny and new.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

As others already mentioned .... VERY nice work !!! What hot climate are you in ? (update profile) . The roof almost looks black in some of the pics which if so, adds a nice touch to the car.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

tpollauf wrote:As others already mentioned .... VERY nice work !!! What hot climate are you in ? (update profile) . The roof almost looks black in some of the pics which if so, adds a nice touch to the car.
Thank you! Yes, I need to update my profile, I live in St. George, UT. It is very close to Las Vegas’ weather. And yes, good eye, it’s hard to tell in the pics but the roof and mirrors are black and the underside of the spoiler is 7D carbon fiber. Image

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

BAmes79 wrote:..... was more of a cheat...I just bough brand new ones :D .

It is a amazing. My Hyundai's lights are as clear as the day they were installed. I don't know what kind of plastic they used, but geez. My Vibe's headlights on the other hand require constant attention. I'd get new headlights but with all the dings and scratches on the body, I now drive it with reckless abandon. :twisted: What you did to your car is what we call: "showroom new." My Vibe is what we call: "get the hell out of the way, I'm comin' through."
jolt

Post by jolt »

This looks great. The color goes good with your wheels. Great job!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Wow :o! Awesome wrap job and very nice color choice! Do you have any other plans for it?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

vibenvy wrote:Wow :o! Awesome wrap job and very nice color choice! Do you have any other plans for it?
Thanks!! Yeah I’ve loved the color so far, it’s usually the only car that color in the parking lot!

As far as other plans, I’d like to add some very subtle red highlights like I have on my grill but I’m not sure how or where quite yet. I’m tempted to lower it maybe an inch or two but not totally sure I want to.

I did add a rubber lip to the front bumper that I like the look of:
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

BAmes79 wrote:Thanks!! Yeah I’ve loved the color so far, it’s usually the only car that color in the parking lot!

As far as other plans, I’d like to add some very subtle red highlights like I have on my grill but I’m not sure how or where quite yet. I’m tempted to lower it maybe an inch or two but not totally sure I want to.

I did add a rubber lip to the front bumper that I like the look of:
Looks good! Can't wait to see what else you do to it!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Looks great if not a bit VW GTi. ;) How much effort, time and cost did this add up to? And I know you said you got a hand from your dad but did you need it? Thanks in advance.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Looks great if not a bit VW GTi. ;) How much effort, time and cost did this add up to? And I know you said you got a hand from your dad but did you need it? Thanks in advance.
Thank you! Yeah, the red on the grill is a bit GTi inspired ;) , they do a cool hatchback.

Cost wise, the total for the wrapping material was $410 shipped from Metrorestyling.com, it’s Avery Dennison supreme wrapping film so there are cheaper products out there but I didn’t want to go to all the effort and have it not last. New headlights were $144 on eBay, I’m hoping to recoup some of that by restoring and polishing my factory ones and selling them. The front lip was $40. So just under $600. The paint on my hood, front bumper, and roof was starting to fail so I was going to incur a cost for cosmetics eventually if I wanted to keep the car looking nice, so I think this was my best option.

Effort wise, probably about 40 hours of my own time (sanding down rock chips, smoothing some oxidation, filling and sanding a few door dings, thorough washing and clay bar, alcohol wipe down, then the actual wrap), and about 20 hours of my Dad’s time helping me wrap. Could I have done it without help?...possibly, but on my first full wrap job it was definitely nice to have an extra set of hands. The hood, roof, and sides are likely ones I could do on my own, but for the rear hatch and bumpers it was really nice to have two people!!

I have a bunch of pictures of the process I’ll have to post up. It’s a little involved...but honestly was a blast doing and to have it turn out the way it did definitely made it more than worth it! Especially when a wrap job will cost you about $2,500 from a shop!
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I do dig that concrete gray color (I forget the name you used). I believe Toyota and VW have a similar color or shade. I'd love to do a wrap or something, especially on the Supra (or even just the RAV's hood!) or, of course, the Vibe, but I don't think I'd get thru the clay barring etc before my back said "Enough!". :(

I may have to trade someone some mechanical labor for some clean and wrap labor or something. lol
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Looks really awesome. Question: where did you get the red highlights for the front grill? It really enhances the cars look.
BAmes79

Post by BAmes79 »

Transylvania wrote:Looks really awesome. Question: where did you get the red highlights for the front grill? It really enhances the cars look.
Thank you! Sorry I haven’t been in the forum for a while. The red on the grill is 3M Red vinyl wrap. I can’t remember the exact color name but I just cut it to the size I needed and stuck it on. It’s been on for over 5 years with zero issues.