Installing a factory Vibe roof rack on a Matrix

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
EyeDocWA

Installing a factory Vibe roof rack on a Matrix

Post by EyeDocWA »

My kid's got a 2005 Matrix...AT, AWD. I just did a motor install and the car runs great. He asked about a roof rack, and funny, I was in the junkyard today and noted two Vibes with roof racks just going to end up as razor blades. Question...taking a rack off of a Vibe and putting it on a Matrix (he has the sunroof) makes me wonder if the Matrix is already plumbed for a rack? Was this factory or dealer installed? I dunno. Any tips or direction anyone can point me to would be greatly appreciated. I'm just mulling this over.

Best regards,
Christen
zbyers

Re: Installing a factory Vibe roof rack on a Matrix

Post by zbyers »

Vibe racks were factory installed. Not sure if the Matrix roof has the holes for the rack. You'd have to take a closer look at the roof. If it does, I would think it should fit.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Never seen a Matrix with the Vibe's roof racks (on matrix owner). So I guess the answer is no.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

Thanks guys...good to know. Given that the cars were supposedly twins...not identical, but more fraternal...like boy-girl, I've concluded that some body panel like the hoods and cowls would be different for styling purposes, but I figured the shells would be the same. Question that might shed some light...does anyone know if ALL Vibes came from the factory with roof racks as standard in or around model year 2005? If so, I'd conclude the plumbing was installed on all Vibes, but the Matrix may have never even had that as an option. It'd be a product differentiator. Not coming up with much in the way of '05 Matrix's listing that as a factory or dealer installed option. My local dealer, when queried, didn't offer much help on a 12 year old problem. Like I said, any info is appreciated.

Best regards...Christen
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I have a 05 vibe. I am pretty sure the roof racks are standard (not an option) because I just found my old window sticker.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Roof racks were standard for 03-08, but the cross bars for the racks were only standard for 03-04 (I got a junkyard set of cross bars for my brother's 05)

I'd be surprised if trixes had roof rack mounting holes
trb

Post by trb »

I've seen roof racks on an 03-08 Matrix before, but they were just "U" shaped brackets that mounted to the roof, kind of like the 09-10 OEM Vibe racks on the AWD models. They went side to side, with nothing running front to back.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
trb

Post by trb »

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

Well I thank you for the picture, as I pretty much had given up on seeing one. At least it tells me it IS possible. Of course, I have a 2005 and am not sure what vintage the one in the picture is. Given that I'd seen two Vibes, 2003 and 2004, in the junkyard with racks, makes me wonder it perhaps Toyota decided to make it available for something later than 2005 and 2006...like starting in model year 2007 and thereafter. Feeling along the roof of the Matrix, there isn't a hint of premounted hardware receiver bolts or anything except one smooth piece of rubber. Still, thanks for the picture as it IS something.

Regards,

Christen
Ugetmyvibe

Post by Ugetmyvibe »

Loads of my neighbors have both vibes and matrixs (both generations), I'll go wander around and see if any of the toys have racks.