hatch is locked and won't open with key - 07 Vibe base

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
roleo71

hatch is locked and won't open with key - 07 Vibe base

Post by roleo71 »

Today I tried to unlock the main hatch with the key but the key would not turn to the left to open the lock mechanism. The key will turn to the right to pop the glass upper portion open. I tried spraying some WD40 in the keyhole in the hopes that it was just seized but this didn't make any difference. My car has manual locks so now I have no way of opening the main hatch. Is there some way to access the lock mechanism from inside the car, such as removing a piece of interior trim from the hatch, so I could unlock the hatch and leave it unlocked until I can get the key mechanism fixed?
kostby

Re: hatch is locked and won't open with key - 07 Vibe base

Post by kostby »

Do you have a second/duplicate key?
One of the two original keys for my '03 is worn to the point that it only works in the ignition now.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
roleo71

Post by roleo71 »

Yes, I tried the spare key but it doesn't unlock the hatch either. I did manage to remove a small plastic interior panel off the hatch and was able to manually disengage the lock by pushing the steel rod that goes from the keyhole to the latch mechanism, so at least now I can open the hatch. If it's not too difficult/expensive I'd like to install some type of power lock mechanism for the hatch rather then just replace the key lock because it is a pain having to use the key every time you want to lock or open the hatch.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Last time I had trouble opening the hatch I sprayed some silicone spray inside the lock. Works like a champ now :D
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on