Anyone have a fix for a broken hinge on the fuel door?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
mbz321

Anyone have a fix for a broken hinge on the fuel door?

Post by mbz321 »

03 Vibe...not sure how long it's been like this but I've noticed the bottom hinge seems to have broken off. The other one is okay (sprayed a bit of grease on it), but I'm wondering how long that one will hold. Does anyone have a good solution to repair or replace this?

MacGyver

Re: Anyone have a fix for a broken hinge on the fuel door?

Post by MacGyver »

That happened on my 06 Trix. I never did fix it and then the car got written off. It was broken for at least a year and half.

This video shows a similar repair; it seems like a lot of work. And the result isn't perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onXYHY- ... e=youtu.be
2009 Vibe Base
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

MacGyver wrote:That happened on my 06 Trix. I never did fix it and then the car got written off. It was broken for at least a year and half.

This video shows a similar repair; it seems like a lot of work. And the result isn't perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onXYHY- ... e=youtu.be
Oh man, that looks complicated, nor do I have easy access to a welder. My next thought was to try using Sugru to build the hinge back up. but I don't know if that will hold up long term (although it claims to be flexible after it cures).
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

The broken hinge piece is riveted or bolted on to the body?
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

petervivian wrote:The broken hinge piece is riveted or bolted on to the body?

The door itself is riveted to the body...and it doesn't look easy to remove, or replace the odd size rivets.