aetarrell - 2007 Base - Repairable?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
aetarrell

aetarrell - 2007 Base - Repairable?

Post by aetarrell »

My beloved '07 was recently injured, apparently beyond repair (as determined by the insurance company). The damage does not seem that significant to me, but the high price of parts / labor and the low price of old Vibes is working against me. I am certain the decision will be "total loss", but I'm not ready to give up and am looking at ways to fix it "myself" (with lots of help from friends and family).

The door and fender seem relatively easy, but the rocker panel may be a little more tricky. Damage is confined to only about 12" way up front, but that portion is deformed "in" and "up" enough that even a new door will not seal properly. My thoughts are that cutting out the whole rocker panel will cause more harm than good, and a better approach might be to cut out the affected section and try to make a new insert of some sort to cover the hole. Some tell me that would work; others say the car is not structurally sound unless I replace the whole rocker panel. (It has absorbed one impact, and so may have lost most/all of its protective capability (in their view).)

Request feedback from Vibe lovers with more knowledge than I have about how best to proceed. Thanks in advance!

(Picture included to try to show extent of damage.)

---
'09 Base (2.4L)
'07 Base (damaged)
'05 Base
'04 Base
'03 Base (RIP)
Attachments
Vibe #3.jpg
Vibe #3.jpg (15.75 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Vibe #2.jpg
Vibe #2.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Vibe #1.jpg
Vibe #1.jpg (17.28 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
tpollauf

Re: aetarrell - 2007 Base - Repairable?

Post by tpollauf »

What is the salvage value assuming they total it? Definitely worth fixing. A used door, fender, and some metal work done to the rocker/pillar areas and you're back together. Mechanically the Vibe is still good I'd assume? You're location ???? Maybe some of us here know of a reasonable shop to send you to BUT only if we know your whereabouts. (update profile please)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Really, that does not look too horrible. It looks like it still drives. Can you tell if it tracks straight? If not rotate the tires and check again. Looks like the front left tire may have received a kick. You could consider having the alignment checked first. This would give you an indication if the body has been deformed in regards of the front suspension mounting points.
Look here for the needed body parts: http://www.car-part.com/

Good luck!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I think it depends on the check you can get from the insurance. Our first gen vibes do not worth much now. It may be easier just getting another car and avoid the trouble fixing it yourself.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)