HID light blew and don't know where to get a bulb!!!

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Plarka

HID light blew and don't know where to get a bulb!!!

Post by Plarka »

Help! A few months ago I bought a 2007 Toyota Corolla (I know, I can't get into the Toyota forum lately so I'm here!) from a guy who had changed the low beams to HID. Now I have to replace the darn thing and Advance Auto doesn't sell them, I looked on Amazon forever and there are lots of reviews saying they were bad and didn't last long, etc, so I don't know where to get it from. I'd prefer to just have regular old lights I can get at the auto parts store cheap. Would it be expensive and too much work if I got my husband to switch it back?

If I don't change it back, where should I buy a replacement light?????? I don't want a bad one from some Chinese seller, but maybe it's worth finding the best reviews I can and just trying. It's 9006.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
sideshowalan

Re: HID light blew and don't know where to get a bulb!!!

Post by sideshowalan »

It depends on how much the previous owner changed the stock setup. Assuming they left all the wiring in place and just added a HID bulb and ballast....it would be easy to switch back. Just unplug the bulb and ballast, put a regular halogen bulb back in.

To keep the current setup and repair it, you would have to look over whatever parts they used for a model or part # and replace what's bad. Keep in mind, for HID's, it may be the ballast or bulb itself that's bad.....have to troubleshoot it to find out (switch known good parts from one side to the other).
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
boxer951

Post by boxer951 »

why not just retofit the oem headlights,like i did on my car up top?jk well what type of HID's does it have on?the oem style 9003? if so,you can just buy a regular non Hid bulb grom your local autoparts store and uninstall the hid ballasts from the oem harness..or if you wanna stick with your HID's which i dont recommend unless you actually do a retrofit so you wont blind incoming drivers ahead..you can order XENTEC BRAND hid bulbs i use their kits on all of my previous cars and their pretty good especially gor being chinese.get them on ebay for like $12 got the pair of bulbs or the whole kit for $30 shipped.any questions feel free to ask..
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

^^^I agree with him. Just buy a new set on ebay and keep any spare parts that are known to be working in case of any emergencies. You can buy an aftermarket(chinese) HID kit for like $30-35 nowadays just get something that has 2-3 years of warranty so hopefully you know they'll last at least that long. Also, from personal experiences i've had issues in the past with blowing headlight fuses when using HIDs n i usually fix the problem by using a fuse 1 step higher, eg. from 10amp to 15amp, etc. The hids usually have a slight spike in voltage higher than halogens when powering up, but within a few seconds the amperage lowers n levels out and the factory headlight relay(s) will handle it.

Not to contradict previous post, but I've had bad experiences with XENTEC brand HIDs new out-of-the-box but i've used another brand named OPTIX n they've been good so far. This is just my .02. Also, i'm pretty sure the corolla uses a 9006 bulb for low beams and 9005 for high beams but you can always check out the exact bulb fitment for your car on this page....hope this helps. https://www.osram-americas.com/en-us/ap ... gmain.aspx
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

One good place to start is https://www.xenonhids.com/ They have a bulbs section on their site as well as complete HID kits. I purchased an inexpensive HID kit on eBay and it lasted about 1.5 years. You get what you pay for.