Inner Fender Liners Fail

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Jbenrod

Inner Fender Liners Fail

Post by Jbenrod »

I have noted that most of the first Gen cars that I've seen have large cracks, holes or even missing inner fender liners. I already replaced both of mine and I'd rather replace the intake manifold any day than a fender liner.

I haven't noticed if this is also common on the Matrix and Corolla. I wonder if these poor fender liners are common across the entire line or do the Vibes use different ones than what is used on the Matrix?
2005 Base - 220k
bigdoug

Re: Inner Fender Liners Fail

Post by bigdoug »

I was just at a junk yard. My own has a hole in the driver's side front wheel well liner, just behind the driver's side fog light.

And every single junked Vibe I saw, all 8! of them, had the same hole. Which surprised me.

I wonder if it's a common problem.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

My '05 has a hole in the driver's side fender liner as well. Somewhere here I read that the air pressure under the fender gets so high that the liner gets pushed against the tire causing that hole. I guess a hole in the fender liner is a great way of relieving that pressure..... ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have black duct tape on the hole on the driver's side of ours. On the '03 I owned a long time ago, most of the liner was duct taped back together.

Pretty sure they used milk jug plastics for these parts. :D
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Derf

Post by Derf »

ColonelPanic wrote: Pretty sure they used milk jug plastics for these parts. :D
I thought mine Moooed when I replaced it.. :lol:
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I had a hole worn in my front drivers side liner. I took some flashing tape and covered it up, and also found that I was missing a plastic pin holding the inside bottom of the liner to the rest of that plastic air shield stuff. Without that pin, the whole side of the front was loose, putting it in stiffened it all up. Just did a 2000 mile road trip, and saw no sign of any tire wear on the flashing tape, so maybe mine was from excessive play from the missing pin
dbbspider

Post by dbbspider »

I just replaced the liners on both sides, the plastic clips all crumbled when removing, so I replaced them w new ones. Looks good now but we will see how long before it happens again. FYI, I got eBay liners, both for less than $40, they fit just like the oem ones that came off.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

My 05 also has a hole on the driver-side front inner fender. Based on this thread, I think it is very common.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)