Aftermarket Front bumper questions

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
lobi

Aftermarket Front bumper questions

Post by lobi »

Been a long time since I've posted. Was out of the vibe world for a while but I'm back!

Picked up a base 03 (two of them actually) with a light hit on the front. Nice little Vibe otherwise with only 140k on it, rust free (even the hatch).
I'm thinking about the aftermarket front bumper cover that is all over ebay and the web. I'll try and attach a pic.
Couple of questions..
Who has used one of these?
How is the fit?
Reasons you like it or don't like it?
It has the upper grill openings like an 05, not like the 03. I don't know the difference but it seems like headlights were 03-04 specific or 05-08. What is the difference? Will either style bolt up to my car? I'm thinking that this bumper may want the 05 headlight since it shows the 05 grill.

I'll have to deal with the famous P0171 code and it needs struts. I'll be keeping the Red one. Considering black bumper and hood and will be swapping the aluminum rims off the other car after I sandblast the bubbles/corrosion and re-paint them. If I decide to go with black the rims will be gloss black as well. If body color front end then rims will be silver again. Not sure what I'll do yet. Feedback welcome. You won't offend me.
Doesn't look like the pic is loading. Sorry, please check it out on ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261733056521
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
lobi

Re: Aftermarket Front bumper questions

Post by lobi »

I think I found the answer to the difference in the headlights 03/04 vs 05-08...just black vs chrome inside. Right? Fit is the same.
That would clear up the headlight fit issue with that aftermarket bumper.

Still hoping to hear from someone who has installed one how decent the fit was to the fenders etc.
No feedback on black vs red paint?
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

lobi wrote:I think I found the answer to the difference in the headlights 03/04 vs 05-08...just black vs chrome inside. Right?
That's correct.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jolt

Post by jolt »

I friend of mine, who does body repair, told me aftermarket body parts do not fit as well as OEM parts and require more time to make them line up or fit; sometimes requiring more work then replacing with a OEM salvage yard part. As for the Vibe aftermarket front bumper cover - do not know.

As a reminder, flexible bumper covers require a special primer and paint additive or the paint will just crack and peal off when the cover flexes.