Touch up paint for stonechips on 05 Vibe

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Plarka

Touch up paint for stonechips on 05 Vibe

Post by Plarka »

We found some for our 07 Corolla, called Duplicolor All In One, but they don't have any for the blue Vibe. What's best that comes in the blue?

Edited to say now that my husband has washed the car, millions of other kinds of flecks of paint coming off are showing! What can we do about this, the cheapest way? This is a sample of the whole hood.

2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
MacGyver

Re: Touch up paint for stonechips on 05 Vibe

Post by MacGyver »

Your local GM dealer can order a paint stick for about $20. You just need the color code from a sticker on the inside of the glove box.
2009 Vibe Base
lobi

Post by lobi »

That entire hood could be re-painted. You can dab touch-up paint into every chip but you might grow old doing it with that many chips.
Go to google or ebay and search on touch-up paint. You give them your paint code and they send you a color matched bottle. It will be more paint for less money than the dealers tiny bottle. Your paint code is on the sticker in your glove box. Bottom left side of the sticker if memory serves me.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Wow ... that looks bad. If I didn't think it was someone's hood or roof I'd swear I was looking up at the galaxy of stars & planets :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lobi

Post by lobi »

I'd bet a nickle that the hood pictured is a re-paint already. Factory paint holds up better.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

lobi wrote:I'd bet a nickle that the hood pictured is a re-paint already. Factory paint holds up better.
you'd lose a nickel from me. the whole front end of my '10 looks like that. the factory pant on these cars is junk. i has a 12 year old truck with 150,000 miles that looked infinitely better than my vibe did after 1 year.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
jolt

Post by jolt »

The paint on the Vibes is thin and soft. When we bought our Vibe it had 34,000 miles on it and was chipped up too. Not as bad as yours but a lot of chips. I ordered a 2oz bottle of touch up paint and a 2oz bottle of clear. I had to clean out the chips with naphtha paint thinner, take tooth picks for the small chips and q-tips for the large chips, and paint the chips. Next go over the painted chips with the clear. After that use a small sanding block (flat piece of metal with rounded edges I made) and wet sand the spots with 1500 grit sand paper lightly. You do not want to sand any of the original clear coat paint off, it is already thin to begin with. After wet sanding, polish the area with a fine polish. It took me about three days to get all the chips done and polished out.

Next you may want to protect it, as the factory paint is not very good. At the very least, keep it waxed and if you really want to protect it, cover it.
http://www.autopaintguard.com/ or http://www.invisiblemask.com/shield.html

I covered our hood with clear vinyl and it did two things: It blended all the little chip touch up spots so you do not even know they are there (touch up paint never matches perfectly), and it has done a great job at protecting the hood from getting more chips.

It many be cheaper to vinyl wrap the hood with a solid color and just cover up the chips. The link I gave you is just one place that does the work or you can buy a pre-cut piece that fits your Vibe and wrap it yourself. It is kind of like put window tint on your car windows. Google car vinyl wrap.
Read more about this here: http://www.creativecolorstudio.com/paintwraps.php