What is this paint problem and how do I fix it??

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Plarka

What is this paint problem and how do I fix it??

Post by Plarka »

2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
jolt

Re: What is this paint problem and how do I fix it??

Post by jolt »

It looks like the clear coat is gone and you are working your way past the base coat (color coat) into the primer paint. I would guess that rust will be showing up next. The only way to truly fix it is the repaint the roof. If you want a short term fix the prevent further damage to the paint, spray it over with clear to seal it from rusting. It is hard to tell from a picture but that is what it looks like.

The paint on these cars is very thin and very soft. This kind of thing happens if someone used rubbing compound on the paint to try to fix the paint and rubbed their way through.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Is repainting the roof expensive and tricky? Will it not match the rest of the car? So, I should buy some clear car spray paint?

I don't remember it looking like this when I got it almost 2 years ago, and I haven't touched it! We live in Florida, maybe it's the sun?

Does this part of the car have a name, or is it just the roof? I remember reading once something about a common rust spot on Vibes....
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
jolt

Post by jolt »

This is what happens over time in direct sun light with out good wax protection for the paint. Like I said, the paint is thin so it does not take much and this is what you end up with when you do not wax your car. This is the roof and you need to take it to a body shop for an estimate of the cost of repairing the damage. It is not going to be cheap. I would guess the roof would be $800 min to a max of painting the whole car. This depends on how much they have to paint to try to bend the new paint into the old. It will not be a true match without painting the whole car. Spraying any color paint on it is going to help protect the metal from rusting. The damage is already done, and once the primer is showing, there is no cheap fix. I would get estimates from three body shops and look it the work they have done to get an idea of how good their repairs look. You also need to check the book value of the car to see if it is worth spending the money on. The cheap thing is to spray clear on it to protect it from further damage for now.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

I think I'll just go with the clear paint! What is it called, clear touch up paint? I guess it's cheapest online?

Also we need to start waxing our cars! I had no idea!
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You'd probably be looking at anywhere between $400 and $1000 to repaint just the roof panel. Make sure you ask to look at previous paint jobs they have done. Sometimes shops have "cheap" jobs and nice jobs, where the cheap job will be poorly done but the nice job is legitimately nice.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
lobi

Post by lobi »

Be glad your Vibe has environmentally friendly paint. I'm kidding. The "environmentally friendly" base coat/clear coat paints do not hold up like the good old days when we used lacquer and enamel paints. You could spray on as many layers as you wanted and get a deep wet look. Could wax,buff, anod polish it till the cows came home and it held up. Didn't fall apart to sun fading or acid rain.

You can do this. Cheap too.
It won't be beautiful but you can spray it with a spray can that you buy at the store. Just get a gloss clear. Lightly sand the area you want to repair with 600 grit paper. Then tape off with newspaper and masking tape and spray it. Move even speed, and get a nice wet looking spray. A low humidity day will have much better results. After it dries for a few days you can lightly sand the edge left from your taped off area with 600 then 1000 grit sand paper. Get the black sand paper, it will be waterproof. You will want to use something flat like a paint stick to wrap some of the sand paper around and sand with a flat surface. Just your fingers will not sand with even pressure. Keep dipping the stick wrapped in sand paper into a bucket of water. Keeping the surface wet will help the sanding. Wipe with a rag once in a while to judge progress. After the 600 grit lightly use the 1000 grit all over the sprayed area and a little beyond. Now you can use rubbing compound to bring the area back to a nice shine.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.