LED Headlightlight Conversion 2003-2008 Vibe

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Derf

LED Headlightlight Conversion 2003-2008 Vibe

Post by Derf »

After much research, decided it was time to finish converting the Vibe to all LED lighting. The only holdout were the headlights. Recent changes in LED headlights finally made the transition possible. Went with 2500 Lumen HB2 H4 4-Cree-XML2 with a braided copper heat exchanger to work around any obstructions in the front grill/engine area. Through the project the copper braided design seemed to offer the most flexibility, the other LED assemblies, with massive heat sinks or fans looked to have issues with installation or longevity.

Link to video showing basic tips on installation with highlights of LED light performance compared to halogen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PEejCsIV1I

Some other considerations during the upgrade; light with neutral color, didn't want LED's off color or too blue, high and low beam close to or exceed halogen brightness, and track record on installation. Went with this design:

In May 2015 paid about $54 for the set.
Encountered some issues during the installation. Most problems stemmed from the short barrel/shaft on the LED assembly. The Vibe's headlight housing rubber boot is about 1cm deep and fits perfectly over the barrel of the halogen bulb. The assembly I used only had about 2mm of space on the barrel, which required folding and flexing the rubber boot to make it fit. Fortunately the rubber boot is very flexible (at least in the summer). Bending the boot to shape around the LED fixture, makes re-installing the metal retaining clip all but impossible without removing the headlight assembly.

On a side note removing the headlight housings is reasonably easy, in my case I found rusted hardware and paint damage that needed repair, so it provided a good opportunity for some preventative maintenance. If you have hazy headlight assemblies, while removed, you can make the lighting upgrade a weekend project by re-clearcoating the headlight housings.

Once I get more miles with the current configuration will post details. So far with about 10 miles, I like the low beam better than the stock halogen. The LED assembly fills the road surface and the color of light provides more contrast, road signs and objects seem to "pop" out easier. The only draw back on the low beam, their seems to be a shallow blank spot directly in front of the vehicle, a result form how the LED's light bounces off the reflector. I did like the halogen high beam pattern better, the LED seems to be focused more narrowly and does not have the halogen's side to side fill.

Other than the change in how light fills the road, my only concern is winter. Will my headlights will be more prone to ice up without heat from the halogen bulb?
Last edited by Derf on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
KITT222

Re: LED Headlightlight Conversion 2003-2008 Vibe

Post by KITT222 »

I saw your video pop up on Youtube this morning. There are many different LED bulbs out there. Two members that are also on the Facebook page have the LMZ kit with metal housings, better LED placement, adjustable front-back placement for optimal placement, so you can get the LEDs in the right spot so you will reflect the light correctly. That, and the fact that you no longer have the full 360-degree output from the bulb, will be why output is a little different. Also, I don't trust that heatsink. Others have expressed concern that if it does anything, it may melt nearby items if it doesn't melt itself.

For the moment, HID projectors give out the best light. But it isn't the easiest way (see my How to HID retrofit how-to for more info on that) or the cheapest way. But I do quite enjoy retrofitting, and the light output is fantastic. For me, it's worth it. Plus you can do fancy stuff, like halos, demon eyes, switchback strips, etc... I've been driving with them for a few years, and I can't go back to reflector-beam lights ever again.

Not my pic, but this is what you get:

My Vibe with the lights

Derf

Post by Derf »

KITT222 wrote:There are many different LED bulbs out there. Two members that are also on the Facebook page have the LMZ kit with metal housings, better LED placement, adjustable front-back placement for optimal placement, so you can get the LEDs in the right spot so you will reflect the light correctly. That, and the fact that you no longer have the full 360-degree output from the bulb, will be why output is a little different. Also, I don't trust that heatsink. Others have expressed concern that if it does anything, it may melt nearby items if it doesn't melt itself.

For the moment, HID projectors give out the best light. But it isn't the easiest way (see my How to HID retrofit how-to for more info on that) or the cheapest way.
I looked at several different models, never saw the LMZ kit, like their ability to adjust depth and rotation. I kept seeing facebook posts about others wanting LED lights, missed that Zane already installed a set around April 14th. Looked at his pics, like the light output, definitely more even. Will run these for the summer, maybe the LMZ kit will come down in price later this year. I also wondered about the heatsink ran the lights for 1/2 hour in 80* no ill effects noted, will try again on a hotter day and post readings. Was really trying to avoid a fan, all I could see were spiders, crud, or weather seizing up the fan.

Looked into HID, was trying to avoid making changes to the stock light housing. Really like what you did with the lighting on your Vibe, proves that with enough insight, you can achieve the desired mod.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for not going HID in the stock housings. That just won't work as well and will blind people. If you want, we can see about doing some projectors for you.

This is the LMZ kit here:

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headligh ... 4-lmz.html
Derf

LED Headlightlight Conversion, Temp output

Post by Derf »

Ran the LED lights for about half an hour. With an ambient temperature of 77*F Took an infrared point and shoot thermometer to different points on both LED assemblies took several readings to get an average. The car was parked in a garage, no wind, engine was left running to keep heat in engine bay.
Ambient Temp...........77*F, 25*C
Heatsink Base..........112*F, 44.4C
Near heatsink base.. 105*F, 40.5*C
Furthest part of braid 98*F, 36.6C
Hottest reading .......115*F, 46.1*C
Will try again on a hotter day and post those results. So far it appears the heatsink and braids are doing their job. Should have taken a heat reading of the LEDs before installing, to see how efficient the heat conduction is from source to braided tail.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I am really interested in this and look forward to hearing more about how the LED headlights hold up.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow ! Thx for posting. I have been wanting to convert the halogens for a long time but dont care for seperating the headlight assemblys for a HID kit. Too much work for me, besides I wasnt going to purchase a new pair of headlight lenses ( cause they are 12 years old & have been restored twice. I really need new lenses ) to put them in the oven :lol: I just want plug and play. I would love to pickup a new set of lenses & this kit. Awesome ! This looks like it 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Wow ! Thx for posting. I have been wanting to convert the halogens for a long time but dont care for seperating the headlight assemblys for a HID kit. Too much work for me, besides I wasnt going to purchase a new pair of headlight lenses ( cause they are 12 years old & have been restored twice. I really need new lenses ) to put them in the oven :lol: I just want plug and play. I would love to pickup a new set of lenses & this kit. Awesome ! This looks like it 8-)
If you really want, I could do the job for you for a price. I've popped brand new lights straight from the boxes, peeled off the protective plastic, and set them right in the oven. Otherwise, quality LED is the only alternative.