2nd Retrofit on 2009 Pontiac Vibe - HID

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Infinity-x

2nd Retrofit on 2009 Pontiac Vibe - HID

Post by Infinity-x »

Hi guys,

This is my second retrofit on this vehicle. It is a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with the 2.4l Automatic. The first retrofit I did was using Morimoto Mini H1 projectors from TheRetrofitSource. While they were a great upgrade from stock, I knew there were better options for retrofits out there. The projectors I recently retrofitted are commonly seen on the newer generation Acura TLs as well as many Mazda vehicles, such as the Mazda CX-9 SUV.

Enjoy! Let me know if there are any questions. I will also add that this is an extremely difficult DIY project as the headlights are very tight as space is concerned, and the engine bay does not offer much room to move either as far as modifications go.

Thanks!

The Parts:

The car:

The process:

The results:

Output: New projector on left, old on right. As you can see, the difference is clear. Exposure adjusted to show brightness difference

Under the 'Cutoff' - New projector in driver's side and old projector in passenger's side headlight
KITT222

Re: 2nd Retrofit on 2009 Pontiac Vibe - HID

Post by KITT222 »

I like! As someone that has done two retrofits (2nd time with Mini H1s) I'm quite interested. Aren't those lights permaseal? How did you open them up? I personally prefer the cutoff of the H1s, but the light spread on the TLs is much lower. However, I'm not sure how that compares to the H1 6.0s I have in my car.

I kind of want some 2nd gen lights to play with. Do something fun and unique using all the space allocated for the turn signal, and relocate that. I already have ideas swirling in my head for a Q45 and Matchbox quad setup in a set of first gen lights. THAT would be something else.
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

KITT222 wrote:I like! As someone that has done two retrofits (2nd time with Mini H1s) I'm quite interested. Aren't those lights permaseal? How did you open them up? I personally prefer the cutoff of the H1s, but the light spread on the TLs is much lower. However, I'm not sure how that compares to the H1 6.0s I have in my car.

I kind of want some 2nd gen lights to play with. Do something fun and unique using all the space allocated for the turn signal, and relocate that. I already have ideas swirling in my head for a Q45 and Matchbox quad setup in a set of first gen lights. THAT would be something else.
The lights ARE indeed permaseal, and are a complete pain in the A** to get apart. After I finally got them apart (almost breaking them).. I used the dremel and basically cut out all the old sealant very slowly and then replaced it with aftermarket Butyl tape (found at advance auto parts, etc.).

Yeah the cutoff of the H1s is sharper and more colorful, but the TL has side specific shields which basically give it crazy amounts of width not to mention it uses D2S bulbs which means I can go with OEM parts meaning better quality than the H1 bulbs. The H1 projectors I had must've been defective or something because when I opened them up the bowls were hazy and not reflective at all. They looked covered with very fine, little scratches as well which confuses me because I was running 35w Morimoto bulbs in them so theres no reason they should have done that.

That would be awesome, while the Q45 projectors lack in output compared to other projectors they definitely are the most unique looking. I'd say go for it! or if you really want some good output get a pair of Lexus LS430 projectors. Youd lose your high beams though but the width is superior.
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

And no offence to your retrofits the Mini H1 are great projectors, but you're lucky to have such large headlights and should be using a better, OEM projector. Have you ever looked into the FX-R projectors? They are GREAT, however they will obviously require modification to the headlight moreso than the Mini H1 needed... but I think you'd be pleased with the results. In my opinion OEM always > Aftermarket
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I did the Minis for ease. They dropped right in no problem. And I have TRS warranty on them, and spare bulbs/ballasts. They more than satisfy me. But there are other options out there. My own problem with the FX-Rs is the custom work necessary, which is a little daunting and would take more than a day to finish. When it comes to projector lighting than yeah, OEM seems to be the way to go, if only because aftermarket options are few and far between. But there's lots of things out there I want to play with, so I'll get to the point of FX-Rs and such.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Very well done!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Agreed ... Very well done :D Don't know much about rear projectors but they look sharp on almost every car that has them (wife's G8GT & our newer '14 Silverado LTZ) Great Job!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

KITT222 wrote:I did the Minis for ease. They dropped right in no problem. And I have TRS warranty on them, and spare bulbs/ballasts. They more than satisfy me. But there are other options out there. My own problem with the FX-Rs is the custom work necessary, which is a little daunting and would take more than a day to finish. When it comes to projector lighting than yeah, OEM seems to be the way to go, if only because aftermarket options are few and far between. But there's lots of things out there I want to play with, so I'll get to the point of FX-Rs and such.
Definitely a daunting task to mount anything that isn't a Mini lol. It's so worth it though, you'll never want to look back. Personally if you need your car on a daily basis, buy some aftermarket headlights and work on those. That way you can take your time with it and still not have to worry about downtime with your car. Plus if you screw up a headlight you'll have a backup :D
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Headlights and Vibe look great ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage