LED bulb questions - 2009-2010 Vibe

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
vibenvy

LED bulb questions - 2009-2010 Vibe

Post by vibenvy »

I have decided that I would like to add LED bulbs to the front and rear marker lights and taillights to complete the HID / LED lighting setup on my Vibe. I have a few questions though.

1.) I am looking at these LED bulbs for the front marker lights and these LED bulbs for the rear marker lights. Which socket type do I need, CK or standard?

2.) In order for the front and rear marker lights to function properly, what do I need? Do I only need a flasher like this or what? I don't want to have to mess with wiring at all. I would like everything to be plug and play and as simple as possible to install.

3.) I am looking at these LED bulbs for the taillights. Again, which socket type do I need, CK or standard?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. I appreciate any help, advice, info, etc. you can give me. Thanks in advance!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Chiadog

Re: LED bulb questions - 2009-2010 Vibe

Post by Chiadog »

Bump, How about an L.E.D. "how to" for both Gens? Anyone?
This site sells cheap LED's:
http://dx.com/p/merdia-t10-3w-150lm-20- ... 12v-256111
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have received no useful information regarding this topic on Matrix Owners or Toyota Nation, so I will probably just end up ordering a pair of the red LED bulbs for the taillights to start off with. Everything I have read online about other Toyotas, Camrys, Rav4s, etc. has said that they have CK sockets, so I will eventually just take a chance and order a pair of the CK socket red LED bulbs for the taillights. Assuming that goes okay, I will than attempt to figure out which flasher module will work and attempt to change over the front and rear marker lights as well. I will most definitely keep this thread updated with any information I discover.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Personally I have no idea what you think the LED replacements will gain you but I think replacing a 400 lumen incandescent with a 170 lumen LED will be disappointing.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

beemerphile1 wrote:Personally I have no idea what you think the LED replacements will gain you but I think replacing a 400 lumen incandescent with a 170 lumen LED will be disappointing.
You have a very valid point.

I have actually decided not to pursue the LED bulbs for the front and rear marker lights or taillights. I am going to leave them as is because they are already plenty bright enough. Not to mention I don't want to spend $49.95 per pair for the LED bulbs as I've already spent way too much money on lighting for both Vibes over the past 4.5 years :|.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

vibenvy wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:Personally I have no idea what you think the LED replacements will gain you but I think replacing a 400 lumen incandescent with a 170 lumen LED will be disappointing.
You have a very valid point.

I have actually decided not to pursue the LED bulbs for the front and rear marker lights or taillights. I am going to leave them as is because they are already plenty bright enough. Not to mention I don't want to spend $49.95 per pair for the LED bulbs as I've already spent way too much money on lighting for both Vibes over the past 4.5 years :|.

I remember wanting to get LED bulbs for my lights in the back and front and wasn't sure what type of bulb our car uses. I posted a similar post but no info so I ended up leaving them as is. Honestly the vibe's rear lights are pretty bright already, even the brake lights. Didn't want to go through having to return the bulbs and get hit with restocking fee if it didn't work out haha
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

lowincash wrote:I remember wanting to get LED bulbs for my lights in the back and front and wasn't sure what type of bulb our car uses. I posted a similar post but no info so I ended up leaving them as is. Honestly the vibe's rear lights are pretty bright already, even the brake lights. Didn't want to go through having to return the bulbs and get hit with restocking fee if it didn't work out haha
Yeah, I remember coming across your post while I was searching for any useful info on the topic of LEDs. If I found out any further info, I was planning on bumping that thread with it.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

While I was researching LEDs I stumbled on this forum:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php
Apparently replacing any (almost any) exterior incandescent with LED is a major safety violation, which could lead to lawsuits if something happens.
Hummmmm...
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
vit

Post by vit »

Consider that LED's don't put out enough heat to melt snow and ice off the lights.
My new car has LED tails and the snow never melted off like it did with incandescent bulbs.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34436730/ns/u ... yUtZvldWSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vit wrote:Consider that LED's don't put out enough heat to melt snow and ice off the lights.
My new car has LED tails and the snow never melted off like it did with incandescent bulbs.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34436730/ns/u ... yUtZvldWSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting article! Guess they'll NOW consider attaching small heater elements to melt any snow & ice on days where it will fall below 32'F/0'C. At least this way what little electricity it will take would only be used on those colder days and not during warm weather. It will still keep them saving $$$ on their electric budget.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I was wanting to make all of the lights except for the headlights on my work can because I'm afraid to use the hazards due to the fast battery drain. That is how I found the "safety" issue. Probably do it anyway.

Was gonna do the wife's Vibe but not sure ... yet.

In the South not much issue of ice/snow.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vit wrote:Consider that LED's don't put out enough heat to melt snow and ice off the lights.
The rear ends of our Vibes always get covered in snow and even if the taillights are lit up, the snow still sticks to the lights and doesn't really melt, so incandescent bulbs don't necessarily equal clear lights during the winter months.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Also check if your turn signal flasher will work after changing lamps to LED. Most will not work because of the low current of the LED does not put enough load on the flasher to make the flasher function. The cheap way to fix the flasher problem is to add a load resistor to the LED wiring but that defeats the idea of installing LED's to save electrical power.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ctgottapee wrote:For the front turn signal bulb on the 09-10 vibe, it is CK
^ Thanks to ctgottapee for clarifying that the 2009-2010 Vibes do indeed have CK type sockets. Just thought I'd add this info for anyone who may come across this thread while researching LEDs in the future.