DRL delete mod question?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Vibezilla

DRL delete mod question?

Post by Vibezilla »

Hey guys. so I decided to go ahead and get rid of the annoying DRL's and auto-headlights, but doing the "snip and ground the yellow wire under the dash". If I understand correctly this is supposed to disable the DRL's AND the auto-headlights. But when I tried it only the DRL's have stopped working. auto-headlights come on like normal. If there is a seperate mod to disable the auto lights that i missed, I would love to hear about it. And if you have any suggestions as to what I might (and probably did wrong) please feel free to let me know! Help my stealth mode dreams be realized! mwahaha

thanks guys
Salsa Guy

Re: DRL delete mod question?

Post by Salsa Guy »

What year? From What I've read cut the Red/White Wire on PIN #12 will kill both on a Matrix.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Vibezilla

Post by Vibezilla »

Its an 06'. If thats true then ill probably try that!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Just snip the wire....don't ground anything
Vibezilla

Post by Vibezilla »

Got it. Is it in the same bundle that The other yellow wire was in? the one leading to the DRL box?
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

glad you solved it, another way of disabling AHL is to simply pull out the little dome thing in top left corner of dash and unplug the wires.
Unbelievabrah

Post by Unbelievabrah »

semi-bump and piggy back on this question before i start snipping wires. I want to double check here first.

So i drive a 06 vibe base and have unpluged the auto head lights, but to disable the DRL. all i gotta do is snip this yellow wire (in the picture) Do i have to ground it or not? ive heard people say yes ground it, then people saying not to.

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Unbelievabrah wrote:semi-bump and piggy back on this question before i start snipping wires. I want to double check here first.

So i drive a 06 vibe base and have unpluged the auto head lights, but to disable the DRL. all i gotta do is snip this yellow wire (in the picture) Do i have to ground it or not? ive heard people say yes ground it, then people saying not to.
I haven't gone back through all the prior DRL disable threads to double check, but I do know absolutely that some years ago when I did it on my Vibe, I was 100% positive that if you used the "cut the yellow wire" method, you had to ground one end of the cut wire. There was a different wire, red with a white stripe, that you could just cut to disable and didn't require grounding. I cut that wire, and put a mating pair of terminals on the cut ends, and ran similarly terminaled wires to a switch left of the steering wheel. When I got rid of that car, it was easy to disconnect the wires, connect the terminals on the cut wire to restore it to OEM function.

I had that mod in the car for some years, and realized that I never really used the switch, always left the auto lights on, guess I had done it for just something to do. Haven't bothered to do it in the current Vibe.
M1MECHANIC

Post by M1MECHANIC »

If all you want is control over your headlights then just remover the dome on the dash and unplug one of the wires this will make the system think its daylight all the time and you just have to turn on the lights yourself. Not sure why you would want to try and disable the DRL (DAY RUNNING LIGHTS). It doesn't affect anything. all new cars have lights on in the day time. If you want the option of switching back and forth then when you remove the wire run it to a switch that you mount on the lower left, on one of the blank panels by the remote hatch release, then run the other side of the switch back to the light sensor. To turn off the auto headlights just flip the swith to open position and back to close if you want the auto headlights. This helps if you ever want to sell the car. If you do mods under the dash it lower the value becuase you run risk of something being damaged.