touch up paint came off in hand wash?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
canadave

touch up paint came off in hand wash?

Post by canadave »

My wife and I just took our new-to-us 2004 Vibe to a car wash for the first time. It was one of those do-it-yourself coin-op places with pressure wands and foaming brush.

Afterwards, we noticed that most of the scratches where the previous owner had applied touch-up paint prior to sale were now bare again; the touch-up paint came off.

Is that normal? And, is there a way to get these scratches permanently filled so that they don't come off in a wash like that?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
vit

Re: touch up paint came off in hand wash?

Post by vit »

Doesn't sound right. Get some touch up paint either from dealer or order from Amazon.

ETA: mostly finding aftermarket touch up paint online. Maybe that explains the issue.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Order some touch-up paint from GM.
tnpartsguy wrote:2004 Vibe Paint Colours

56/WA913L Fusion #12346722 5 oz Spray / #12346721 0.5 oz Brush Bottle
*EDIT* I just looked up the above part numbers on GMPartsCenter.net. They list both for $8.88 a piece. The MSRP (aka dealer price) is $14.80 each. GMPC charges an $8.95 handling fee, but shipping is free for small items. In other words, it would be about the same price to get it from your local GM dealer as it would be to order it online. FWIW, when I got touch-up paint for our Vibes, I just bought it at the local GM dealer.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks very much folks (although it might be different in terms of shipping here to Canada, not sure yet).

If I order this GM touch up paint though, is that going to be okay? In other words, if I simply put the paint on these scratches, is that going to come off too next time I wash the car? Or do I need to do clearcoat, rubbing compound, buffing, all the other bits I've read about?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Every bit of touchup paint (from the GM parts counter variety) that I applied last summer is no longer on the car. I'll give you that the preparation was less than ideal and I suspect that was the cause.

I started with a clean car that wasn't waxed for many months, applied primer where necessary, then painted. Threw some clear on top once dry. I need to find something to clean the surface with better for the next round and try it again.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I suggest wiping the areas with rubbing alcohol first to make sure nothing will contaminate the paint's ability to stick.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit