ugh--vent shade removal hell

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
canadave

ugh--vent shade removal hell

Post by canadave »

I just have one question--why does nothing relating to cars ever appear as easy as it is in the YouTube videos telling you how to do it?? :?

I just received my replacement set of Auto Vent Shade window visors from Lund. I watched the video on how to remove it; seemed easy enough. Any residue left over, "just use your thumb to remove it." Easy.

Well, I removed the visor from the first window, and it left the entire sticky mess of 3M adhesive tape behind. I've just spent the better part of an hour trying to pull it off, and I'm removing tiny pieces at a time.

This sucks. Is there any better way to do this? I just had a look around the internet, and someone suggested bug and tar remover, but that didn't work.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Rayven01

Re: ugh--vent shade removal (removed)

Post by Rayven01 »

http://www.amazon.com/Homax-Oz-Goo-Gone ... B00006IBNJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have yet to find any sticky residue that this won't clean off. Note it is citrus based so don't get it on anything clear plastic or it will cloud it. You can get it pretty much anywhere (walmart, some grocers, etc).
Image  Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

3M has a rattle can of stuff that takes the adhesive off. I got some at Wal*Mart when Goo-Gone failed to do anything to remove the old adhesive.

It is literally called, "3M Adhesive Remover."
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Not sure what you have remaining to remove. Whenever I remove tape or stickers I warm with a hair dryer and slowly remove. Heat softens most adhesives.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I would suggest heating the area up with a hairdryer as beemerphile said and then I always have great luck removing adhesive with WD40.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Whatever you do, be sure you aren't too rough on the surface as the black stuff around the windows is.... Tape! I would be careful with excess heat.

It always bothered me to stick the tape of the vent shades to the tape that's taped to the door, but what'dya know, they hold well... 8-)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image