Mudflaps 03-08 standard body trim

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Derf

Mudflaps 03-08 standard body trim

Post by Derf »

Saw a few other posts on mudflaps, mostly '09-'10 vibes. Wanted to provide more information for anyone wanting to add mudflaps to 03-08 base Vibe. Pictured is '05 Neptune blue Front Wheel Drive 1.8, not GT, no trim package.

Part numbers used:
GM 15069 alt 12498056 Front
GM 15070 alt 12498057 Rear
vibe_mudflap.jpg
vibe_mudflap.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
The stock mudflaps are gray, like the 03-04 lower body molding. If you have colored body molding, you may consider painting the mudflaps. In my case, I cleaned the mudflaps with solvent (to remove the release agent used when they were molded) then applied rubberized undercoating. The undercoating made the flaps a darker gray to match the tires and dark blue Neptune. Also, used anti seize compound on all hardware to slow rust and make possible removal easier
NOTE: After one winter, the salt, road grime discolored the rubberized undercoating, may want to try paint for plastic (flexible paint) Also some of the paint started to flake off. Appears whatever mold release they used when making the parts prevents paint from sticking. If you paint the rims you will have to lightly sand to remove the release agent.

On the front, GM calls the supplied fastener a Plastic Christmas Tree, works well. Watch not to over tighten trim screws upon re-installation, they thread into plastic.
Front: Contents of box, pic before and pic after:

For clarification, pic of the rocker panel cladding on the '05 vibe. GM 15069 alt 12498056 fits this style of rocker. Pic shows after installed, going down stone road. The flap does a great job of keeping the slop from getting on the doors and rockers, just some spray bouncing off the road.

Rear flaps , remove tire to install. Need a panel popper (to remove existing fastener), drill bits, 10mm socket with extension, and 11mm box end wrench. Why GM used an 10mm bolt with an 11mm nut is beyond me. On the '05, I removed the body fastener where the mudflaps bottom bolt lines up, rather than drill the hole listed in the directions. I believe this fastener / hole is something that changes slightly between model years. I also loosely installed the bottom bolt then drilled holes for the two screws, made it easier and ensured the bolt lines up with the OEM hole in my '05

Rear flap with hardware, pic before and pic after installation:

Thanks to those who listed the part numbers on other posts, made completing this project a lot easier. Now I can avoid stone chips and white lime slop being flung to the bottom of the car. To me the front flaps were a must to keep the car clean, the rears were a bonus for the vehicle behind.
Last edited by Derf on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
leemur

Re: Mudflaps 03-08 standard body trim

Post by leemur »

I had these mud flaps on my Orange 04 for 9 years until its demise last month. They are truly a great looking style. But with the 2 tones, as of the 04 model, only the back ones will fit.

The monotone Vibes kept the original side rockers while the gray clad ones got a new flaired rocker to keep rocks from tearing up the surface. So...other than the 03 models, only the rears will fit on the gray cladded 04-08's. Is rocker the right word?

Now I have a well used spare set of fronts lying in the garage.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
Derf

Post by Derf »

leemur wrote:I had these mud flaps on my Orange 04 for 9 years until its demise last month. They are truly a great looking style. But with the 2 tones, as of the 04 model, only the back ones will fit.

The monotone Vibes kept the original side rockers while the gray clad ones got a new flared rocker to keep rocks from tearing up the surface. So...other than the 03 models, only the rears will fit on the gray clad 04-08's. Is rocker the right word?
I added a pic looking from the ground up on my 05' colored trim to further clarify which rocker trim the listed front mudflap will fit. There are several posts on Genvibe about mudflaps, but appears GM had several trim options that made picking the correct mudflap an issue unless you could match part number with a picture of the installed flap

Here is a thread covering the difference on the the "gray" 04-08 rocker flap, part number 12499885
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8543&p=436148&hili ... ap#p436148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derf

Post by Derf »

Follow Up: The mudflaps looked great going into the first winter. Now, both sets have grayed. Appears the rubberized undercoating (flexible to prevent flaking) I applied was just porous enough to soak up some salt and winter grime, whitening them. If you live in the northern states same effect on a new road, nice blacktop road in fall, becomes ghostly white in spring from winter salt. Back to the drawing board :roll: Purchased some black bumper/trim paint for flexible plastic. Will repaint the mudflaps and see what happens next winter.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Another follow up, whatever compound/chemical they used on the molding machine during manufacture, it does not like paint. Thought I did a good job of cleaning and prepping the flaps to change them from gray to black. But, again this year, more spots where paint peeled off. Going to have to sand the mudflaps to see if I can get a better bonding surface. Used rubber undercoating because of its flexibility, not sure if their may be a compatibility issue between the rubber coating and plastic flap.