2nd Gen Taillight Question

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
MaSlade

2nd Gen Taillight Question

Post by MaSlade »

Hey guys and gals,

I tinted my taillights a month or so ago and I decided to go ahead and just remove the hideous monster I created (light shines through, but the way the headlight is designed, splashes light all over the place making it super cloudy). However, after taking a look at the housing, I realized that the taillights seem to be a housing over a housing. What I mean is that the inner housing has individual covers that go over the turning signal, brake, and reverse lights and THEN there's the added plastic cover over the entire light assembly.

I wonder if I could just remove the outer lens if everything on the inside is sealed (if not, seal it myself)...

Any thoughts?

It's just something I noticed and may try to debunk if I can find another set of lights to screw around with.
tpollauf

Re: 2nd Gen Taillight Question

Post by tpollauf »

I like your thinking :D Anything to make those tail lights look "less Rice" I'm in favor of 8-) Be careful though if you seriously decide to tackle this. You'll have to heat them up in an oven to remove the outer acrylic lens and then you can experiment. Shade in certain areas of the assembly and give it a more unique look. If it doesn't work out the way you want it to you can then reattach the outer lens. If this mod really goes bad, then you're looking at $250 or so for a complete new assembly :o As always post pics and keep us involved ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

eh, try to find a busted set somewhere.

Or maybe not BUSTED, but used. Seems like a decent spark of an idea
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I like how the clear housing smoothly contours the lights to the design of the back. If you take them off it's going to remind me of the Chevrolet Sonic's headlamps. I'm not a fan.

Interesting thought though.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

09vGT wrote:I like how the clear housing smoothly contours the lights to the design of the back. If you take them off it's going to remind me of the Chevrolet Sonic's headlamps. I'm not a fan.

Ahhhh yes. I didn't even think of that.. Maybe I'll do a mod to the lenses then replace the outer lens? Just thinking outside of the light. I mean box.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

09vGT wrote:I like how the clear housing smoothly contours the lights to the design of the back. If you take them off it's going to remind me of the Chevrolet Sonic's headlamps. I'm not a fan.

I completely agree. Without the clear outer cover, the taillights would be a major PITA to clean too. When I saw a 2009 Vibe at the local GM dealer for the first time, I thought the taillights were huge and ridiculous looking, but they have really grown on me over the years and I actually really like them now.

As others have said, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the taillights Slade ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage