2010 Vibe Grille Overlay; Hot or Not?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
MaSlade

2010 Vibe Grille Overlay; Hot or Not?

Post by MaSlade »

Hey guys,

While searching around eBay for a different grille insert, I stumbled upon these overlays from sleekautoaccessories. By overlay, I mean they're just placed over the top of the grille and attached with wire. I was pretty skeptical because I wanted to DIY my own grille, but I figured this would be an easy alternative at a cheaper price than having to buy an entire sheet of mesh wire. :roll:

I think it looks alright. Personally, I think it would look a little better if my Vibe was black, but I think I'll keep it on for a month or so. ;)

I also got around to plasti dipping my exhaust manifold heat shield, and applying some decals. I can definitely spot my Vibe in a parking lot, now. :D

Before:

After:

Exhaust manifold heat shield & red lettering decals from grafxwerks:

GenVibe represent:

2AZ-FE Badge from SickSpeed on eBay (only disappointing thing is that the "Z" looks like a "2" because of the font):

For not having many aftermarket parts, I'm definitely finding a lot of fun and easy stuff to make me happy. Go-go grocery getter!
MaSlade

Re: 2010 Vibe Grille Overlay; Hot or Not?

Post by MaSlade »

P.S. Removed it because it didn't match my silver/black theme. Would definitely work with any other color, though. Just posted this in case anyone wanted to photoshop their vehicle color or use this as a reference. Stay frosty! :D
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

If I were you, I would paint the grille inserts black. I prefer the look of them over the stock Base/AWD grilles because they all match. The silver grilles do look weird, but I think if you painted them black, they'd look much better (like stock, but matching).

Good call on painting the exhaust manifold heat shield black, although I would be worried about the PlastiDip not holding up because that piece gets very hot. I used engine paint on mine and it has held up great over the past couple years.

The GW engine cover overlay looks great ;)!

Just curious as to why you have the front window deflectors, but not the rear ones?

Shark fin antenna and GV decal both look great ;)!

That badge is pretty neat looking and that is a great spot for it!

Your Vibe is really coming along! I like where you're headed with it! Keep it up ;)!

*EDIT* You should start a Garage thread to show off everything you've done to your Vibe so far.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

I was really considering painting the inserts black, but then I think it would reveal my grille underneath. Since the inserts are a polished chrome overlay, it attaches to the oem grille with some wire, but the brightness takes the eyes away from the original grille underneath. I'll see what I can work with, though. Maybe I'll throw in a curveball and do something entirely different with it :) The possibilities are endless!

I'm a little worried about the PlastiDip, too, but I've heard of people applying it to their exhaust tips without it getting brittle/melting. I recheck the manifold everyday and surprisingly it's still holding up! I was thinking of touching up my headers in a red engine paint to contrast the black heat shield. It will even match my GW overlay :D

To answer your question about the deflectors... I only have the front window deflectors because that's what I paid for :lol: Apparently I don't know how to read the fine print when it comes to buying things and ended up with just the front pair. It's usually me, my wife, and our 2-month-old in the car, so no one puts the windows down in the back anyways. Now I'm just trying to make myself feel better...

I really appreciate the compliments! This is really the first car I've ever found to be an absolute blast to work with. I have worked on Subaru's, Honda's and BMW's, but never a Pontiac/Toyota. Thankfully things are way easier to manipulate/remove compared to my Subaru or BMW. I definitely have less cuts and bruises :lol:

Once I figure out how to wire my fog lights oem style (ordered my stalk recently, should be here soon), I'll be working on the Garage post :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I would think if you painted the aftermarket grilles black that the OEM grilles wouldn't be noticeable because they're black too, but than again, who knows? I look forward to seeing what you come up with grille-wise!

Well, as long as you're keeping an eye on the heat shield. I just wouldn't want a fire to start under the hood of your Vibe or something :shock:. Painting the exhaust manifold red would definitely stand out from under the black heat shield.

That's funny about the deflectors :P! I don't usually put my rear windows down a whole lot either as it's typically just me or me and a passenger in the front, but the "uneveness" of not having deflectors on the rear windows would drive me nuts :P!

I look forward to seeing your OEM fog light install and Garage thread!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

I've got the same one on my Silver Vibe and absolutely love it.

By the way, AWESOME idea for painting the black part under the lower grille. I may just have to do that mod soon :D
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Infinity-x wrote:I've got the same one on my Silver Vibe and absolutely love it.

By the way, AWESOME idea for painting the black part under the lower grille. I may just have to do that mod soon :D
Nice lookin' Vibe! Plasti Dip! lol, love that stuff. Considering there is not an existing lip-kit (or ever will exist... :( ) I think the Plasti Dip strip it gives it an awesome and aggressive illusion. :)