Aftermarket Grille

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
bedpan

Aftermarket Grille

Post by bedpan »

Does anyone here have an aftermarket metal grille, like the ones they sell on eBay? Specifically the big two top pieces, not the smaller bottom three.
I am thinking about making my own (I am a metal fabricator, with access to frickin' "lasers"), but I'd like to know how they fasten them to the bumper.

Thanks
KITT222

Re: Aftermarket Grille

Post by KITT222 »

Hello there! I have the billet grilles on my Vibe, and they fasten with nothing but zip ties. There are square pieces behind the slots that the zip tie wraps around. And the slots are spaced so a zip tie can fit perfectly between them.

If you do this, I know a few people who'd be interested in a set.
wpgpolice

Post by wpgpolice »

I have dont this to my 09 GT. I had some left over mesh from my bodykit of my last vehicle. I was going to use carboard but was a bit pain in the (removed) :D so i just used foil as it is so easy and flexable. Placed it over the grill and shaped it to where i wanted it. After that just place the template over your mesh and cut. Grab some tin zips (i think that what they are called) they are metal and rust proof, and flexable. went behind and did as many as possible so i knew they would come off. It looks as good or even better for the price then you can find out there. If you have access to a CNC this might be a lot faster and easier. I find if you do the work by hand and yourself you appreciate it more! 8-)
bedpan

Post by bedpan »

To clarify, I want to make an entire new grille like the billet style ones, not make something that covers the existing plastic grille. I read that the now unavailable MrGrille ones came with some aluminum angle brackets, and required some drilling. I'm assuming I might need to do similar. This is what I'd like to know more about...
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Can't speak on the 05-up,

but 03-04 it was just billet pieces that zip-tied to the existing grille like KITT222 said

Can't say I've ever seen a grille that replaced our stock ones.

You may be the first to that on here :o
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

bedpan wrote:To clarify, I want to make an entire new grille like the billet style ones, not make something that covers the existing plastic grille. I read that the now unavailable MrGrille ones came with some aluminum angle brackets, and required some drilling. I'm assuming I might need to do similar. This is what I'd like to know more about...
Well, I know how the stock grille fits on the 05-8 models, but that's not gonna help you...I think you could pop the stock ones out and fabricate something similar to its fasteners?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
bedpan

Post by bedpan »

I think I might just have to take mine out and see what I can see... If the stock one has the little plastic clips on it like I think it does, metal wont be able to do the same. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get a sunny weekend to play.