Vinyl Recommendations?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
lannvouivre

Vinyl Recommendations?

Post by lannvouivre »

So, I've been looking to wrap that upper part of the hatch door with some glossy black vinyl to match the painted black roof, so I'd like to know what brand I should specifically get.

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about getting around the spray nozzle; can I just warm up the vinyl, cover the nozzle, and then excavate it out by gently cutting around the nozzle with a razor?

Additionally, I still want to do my "MOPAR" stripes:
but haven't come up with how I'm going to do a mock-up for them.

In return, I can tell you guys a funny story. Or maybe it will just horrify everyone. Don't worry, it's not about me.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
MrHatchWagon

Re: Vinyl Recommendations?

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Personally, I'd get 3M, but some other guys on here have wrapped their whole roofs so they might be able to give a concrete recommendation.

Using a heat gun, you should be able to conform the vinyl to the nozzle, and trim the excess, tucking as needed. Use an art knife, or an exacto, while you apply it and it should come out fine. Practice on small objects first and you'll get the hang of it in no time. ;)
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Go balls deep and paint it.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

MrHatchWagon: Thanks. Hopefully I can git'er dun.

thebarbar: HA! I was going to do vinyl until I can either afford to have it painted or find one off of a black vibe. Is the black vibe metallic or just plain black? Anyway, the roof was only painted black due to an accident that rendered the entire roof panel in need of a paint job. :oops:

Oh, the story. Hope this one doesn't get me in trouble.

WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS EVER.

My instructor for my automechanics class (heating and A/C, intro to automotive tech) was sitting in his car at a drive in restaurant, when his friend gets into his car.

"Heeeeyyyy maaaannn..." said his friend.

"Hey...What's up with you?"

"You see this?" He held up a can. "This is freon."

"I know what that is, I'm in air conditioning."

"This stuff gets you so high...But...It gives me a really bad headache." His friend looked incredibly confused about this.

"Then why do you do it?"

"Because it gets you high, man...It's awesome. But you gotta be careful. If you turn the can upside down, liquid will come out and freeze your lungs and you'll die."

My instructor's friend then took a huge huff of freon, probably destroying countless brain cells. My instructor kicked him out and they never spoke again.

Oh, and the freon-huffer ended up going to jail, presumably for huffing something else incredibly stupid.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit