Rear Window Explosion

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Mojo72

Rear Window Explosion

Post by Mojo72 »

The rear window exploded while I was driving this morning. Thankfully I had already dropped my daughter off at school, but I'm still wondering how this could have happened. The weather was cold at about 15 degrees ambient with the wind chill hovering around zero and I was driving on a normal paved road when the BOOM happened. The safety glass worked as designed with all the glass shards falling directly into the cargo bay and not on the back seat. I don't believe I was hit by anything so I'm left wondering if the back defrost caused it.
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires
tpollauf

Re: Rear Window Explosion

Post by tpollauf »

I guess it was your Vibe's turn to "blow" a window :x It seems like this happens to a few of us every year. Some under the extreme heat of the summer, and others during the extreme cold of the winter. Here's one of a few posts where it happened to other GenVibers: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29541&p=333605&hil ... ss#p333605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I can hardly wait for it to happen to me! :D
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

May want to shut off the rear window heat when the temperatures drop really low.

I've never had that happen to me in any car and I've driven in -35 to -40 F air temps (wind chill has no significant effect on inanimate objects, although it will help strip away heat you are trying to make in a running vehicle). In those kinds of temperatures, it felt like the whole car was going to shatter. Seats get rock hard, springs and shocks don't deflect much and tire's flat spots take about 10 miles or more driving to fade away. Engines and transmissions make painful noises that you would never hear under more normal conditions. Quite the interesting experience, but wouldn't really care to do it again anytime soon!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
sam

Post by sam »

My rear window blew today 2-3-13 I'm in Cleveland No temperatures below 8 this year. Garage kept. Had my 04 out in 24 degrees today. Light snow Rear wiper and defroster on for one hour. Rear window was in place for whole trip. Parked at home One hour later returned to garage to haul out snow blower.Temp same 25 degrees Window shattered. Unheated garage. Began the calls services Quoted 290-330 for glass and install. We'll see the final tomorrow :?
Sam
Mojo72

Post by Mojo72 »

That sucks! I thought I was getting away pretty good with Safelite Auto Glass replacing the rear glass at $255.40 with my USAA discount until they found the rear wiper assembly corroded to the point where the motor and wiper arm couldn't be saved. Now I'm looking at an ADDITIONAL $626.85 for an entire new motor, armature, and misc. parts to restore the back window, wiper, and defroster. :shock: Yea, this is going to my comprehensive coverage. A friend of mine thinks that micro cracks developing over the life of the glass might have set the stage for the rear defroster to trigger the massive fracture. Anybody have any theories that they want to share?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Mojo72 wrote: Anybody have any theories that they want to share?
Hmmmmm. No theories BUT I'm glad the 2nd gen Vibes have "fixed glass" on the hatch :D The likeliehood of one of those blowing out would be slim to none! The fact that the first gen Vibes have operable glass just means more constant movement, plus several open/close procedures for those that use that feature. It's possible that it is related to the "looseness" of the glass compared to the rigidity of fixed glass. Just a theory :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

This is nuts!
I've never seen this one here before....
now I'm all scared to use my defrost.lol
Good thing I'm in Bama. Weather doesn't get TOO extreme here,
just humid as heck and hot
sam

Post by sam »

I got through my blown rear window last Week I got the beast in to a Ford dealer The glass gut had to come and do it No one in their body shop can replace Windows I tested the wiper and 3rd brake light before signing off on $460 So My 200 plus insurance The next day The door ajar light was stuck on The remote didn't work or the wiper I went back. My stupidity. Did you know the rear window is hinged? I didn't Thought it was a fixed glass like a Caravan Shut the window Turn off door ajar Turn on wipers and remote I think the thing was half open in the first place and hit a bump(s) breaking it. Nothing like knowing your own car or paying 200 bucks to find out Dumb.

Sam :oops:
Mojo72

Post by Mojo72 »

Safelite completed the repair on February 16th with the installation of the wiper motor, rear defrost, and wiper arm assemblies. Even after reusing the old defroster controller and wiper arm, the final bill before deductible was $1,107.36. Ouch!! That's just about half of the total maintenance/repair dollars I've invested in my Vibe since buying it used in January 2008. Well, it's still been a very good car and with just over 128,100 miles on the odometer, I now have even more incentive to drive it past 200,000 miles. :D
maaadtrip

Post by maaadtrip »

$1100 for the rear glass and wiper?! I can't help thinking it would be far less to rip it out of a write-off or parter at a scrap yard. It doesn't look like it would be tough to 'plug n play' another window.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

You could just follow Brandon's (A Psycho Martyr) tutorial on how to remove the rear wiper assembly and roll without it. Would save you a lot of cash over something that I have never found to be all that useful... my back wiper always just seems to smudge everything on the rear window.
trb

Post by trb »

WOW that is a crazy price! I just looked on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Michigan and used windows start at about $100 and a complete rear hatch starts at about $300 with the window and wiper and everything. Glad I can swap out anything myself if my son has any problems with his 06 Vibe.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
kostby

Post by kostby »

Here's another thread I contributed to: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34222&hilit=+safelite#p382658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine shattered in July 2011.

And that thread contains a link to another thread from 2004: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=13678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Just found out that the Hyundai Veloster's Panoramic sunroof is doing this too.lol
Mojo72

Post by Mojo72 »

trb wrote:WOW that is a crazy price! I just looked on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Michigan and used windows start at about $100 and a complete rear hatch starts at about $300 with the window and wiper and everything. Glad I can swap out anything myself if my son has any problems with his 06 Vibe.
Thanks for the link to Car-Part.com! If my out of pocket wasn't limited to the insurance deductible, I probably would have gone in that direction.