how much can I pull?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
jeff_j1701

how much can I pull?

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hello all!

I'm in the market for a pop-up trailer that I can pull with my automatic '07 VIbe. I heard a Vibe can't pull more than a pop-up.

The owner's manual says the trailer should be 1500lbs max, but how accurate is that? I'm having difficulty find one under that weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how is the handling while towing with a Vibe, as I've never towed with my Vibe. Is there an issue with the engine/transmission over-heating?

Thanks.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
BlueCrush

Re: how much can I pull?

Post by BlueCrush »

I would invest in an additional tranny cooler (autotranny) if you are going to tow with the Vibe. The max I would feel comfortable towing with the Vibe would be 1750lbs.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I towed (what I found out recently was) a 800-1000lb trailer, 100-150lb engine hoist and a 1zz/c60 engine tranny. about1200-1500lbs 1200-1500lbs .....I had NO get up and go

I wouldn't pull more than that too often....it wasn't fun
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

You can see my trailer in my signature below. It is an Aliner Sport folding hardside camper which weighs 2,000 pounds when loaded. Real weight, not an estimate. I have towed for over 10,000 miles now with my Vibe. I average 22 mpg while towing.

http://www.aliner.com/campers/Sport

The Vibe is rated to tow 1,500 in the USA but rated to tow 2,200 in the UK if you have trailer brakes. I highly recommend trailer brakes.

I did add a stacked plate transmission oil cooler to the car. An automatic transmission is always a weak link when towing and an oil cooler keeps the temperature down protecting the transmission.

When shopping for a trailer you should only look at the GVWR of the trailer. The GVWR is mandated by law and is a good representation of what you trailer is likely to weigh when loaded. Ignore the "dry" weight or the "brochure" weight because it is a phony number and you won't be towing it empty anyhow.

Do not consider anything other than a folding trailer. The Vibe cannot handle the wind resistance of a travel trailer no matter how light weight. Keep in mind that extra weight inside the car subtracts from what you can tow. Tow ratings are based on a driver and nothing else in the car, not even passengers.

Your Vibe should do fine towing a lightweight pop up camper. There are many campers that a motorcycle can tow. A properly set up rig will handle, drive, and pull just fine. Feel free to ask any specific questions as you research and learn.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Thanks for the info!!!

I don't even have a trailer hitch on my Vibe yet, so I'll have to get that first. Is a hitch something that I can install in my driveway, or do you recommend that I have it professionally installed?

Yes, I will pull only a pop-up tent trailer as I know a Vibe can't pull more than that.

The Sport trailer looks interesting but I don't think it's for me, as I'm 6'3" and my wife is pretty tall too.

I love my Vibe...and my wife wanted to trade it in for a more powerful car. BLASPHEMY!!! lol
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Adding a hitch is a piece of cake. Since your car has been on the road for a few years the bolt holes are likely corroded. You may need to chase the holes with a tap but other than that it is easy to mount the hitch to holes that are already provided.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

beemerphile1 wrote:You may need to chase the holes with a tap
Btw, the thread is M12x1.25. Hard to find at your local Canadian Tires or US equivalent. I had to get one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0536267547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cythraul on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
DennisLee

Post by DennisLee »

Don't know where you are located, but I was able to pick up a tap at Menards. I went with the Curt brand hitch because it pretty much hides everything except the receiver. Kind of like the stuff Hidden Hitch used to put out before they got bought up. Amazon has some good prices on the hitches and wiring kits.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

DennisLee wrote:Don't know where you are located, but I was able to pick up a tap at Menards.
I'm in Brossard (Near Montreal), Quebec, Canada. ;)

In the US, you have all the great hardware stores. Menards, Loew's, Fry's, Crutchfield, etc. :)

Btw, I was wondering how much torque you put on those bolts?
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

I'm just outside of Toronto, Ontario.

If installing the hitch is fairly easy, then I'm sure I can manage. I hope! :lol:

I'm kinda leary about buying certain things online, especially when I'm doing something for the first time.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

cythraul wrote: Btw, I was wondering how much torque you put on those bolts?
I used a 1ft 1/2" ratchet... and I pulled as hard as I could given the angle and space you have to work with... I also used red loctite.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
DennisLee

Post by DennisLee »

cythraul wrote: Btw, I was wondering how much torque you put on those bolts?
The instructions that came with the hitch specified 65 Ft Lbs, as I recall. The install kit included washers with a slight cone shape, I think the idea was to torque the bolts until the washers were flattened.

The hitch was a piece of cake, I still haven't got around to getting the wiring installed - I've got to run the power lead from the battery to the back of the car. Someone in another thread had stated they ran the power wire under the carpet and through a grommet in the firewall, does anyone know what you need to do to take that approach?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

DennisLee wrote: Someone in another thread had stated they ran the power wire under the carpet and through a grommet in the firewall, does anyone know what you need to do to take that approach?
You will need patience and patience... few tools but lots of routing wires!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

DennisLee wrote: ...The hitch was a piece of cake, I still haven't got around to getting the wiring installed - I've got to run the power lead from the battery to the back of the car...
I ran my power feed under the car and along the brake lines. It was a simple installation and only took maybe 15 minutes.

Since I also needed a power feed to charge my trailer battery I used 8 gauge wire. I use a Tekonsha continuous duty solenoid at the battery so it is only hot when the ignition is on. I also have a 40 amp automatic reset circuit breaker at the battery. In the rear when the power feed separates to the relays (tail light converter) I used the smaller fuse and then the line continues to the trailers Bargman connector.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

It's been a while but we finally decided to go ahead and buy a tent trailer.

I've considered the Quicksilvers but they don't have any amenities and I'm not big on camping to start so I'd prefer to get a minimum, like a fridge for instance. If I had the money I'd get a recent C class but maintaining a second vehicle is not an option..

Looks like the Flagstaff 176LTD or 206LTD would fit the bill. What make me hesitate between the two are the GVWR and tongue weight.

The 176 is 2027/190 lbs while the 206 is 2255/176 lbs. I'd much rather get the 10' floor and bigger beds of the 206.

Note that I've installed the B&M 70264 tranny cooler and I will definitely get the electric brakes package on the trailer.

We're five persons (me - 175 lbs, wife - can't disclose this but average, and kids -- 42, 51 and 65.)

So that brings me to over the 2200 lbs (that mythical limit with electric brakes) even assuming we don't put more cargo then the 683/762 lbs that the trailers can take.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/PopUpCamp ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So.. with electric brakes, tranny cooler and driving like an elderly.. can I safely -- by that I mean without any risk on our persons or the car -- drive out to some camping?

Frankly, my head is spinning now. Seems like I can cut it but I wanted an second opinion..

If you have other trailers to suggest, I'd appreciate. I'm not versed in that world I may not have considered all manufacturers.

thanks guys!
cyth
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

cythraul wrote: ...We're five persons (me - 175 lbs, wife - can't disclose this but average, and kids -- 42, 51 and 65.)...
Based on this information I would have to say you cannot safely tow either of these trailers. The gear required for five people plus the weight of those people pretty much rules out any trailer that has plumbing, refrigerator, heating, etc.

When we tow it is just the two of us and 2,000 pounds of trailer behind us. You need to find a trailer that is under 1,000 pounds empty. A trailer like that will only be a bed on wheels.

Keep in mind that the weights listed are for a base trailer that is almost never sold. Add a battery, propane, and a few accessories and the empty trailer can be 500 pounds more than the advertised weight.

Another option would be a utility trailer and load it with tents and gear.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

beemerphile1 wrote:
cythraul wrote: ...We're five persons (me - 175 lbs, wife - can't disclose this but average, and kids -- 42, 51 and 65.)...
Based on this information I would have to say you cannot safely tow either of these trailers. The gear required for five people plus the weight of those people pretty much rules out any trailer that has plumbing, refrigerator, heating, etc.

When we tow it is just the two of us and 2,000 pounds of trailer behind us. You need to find a trailer that is under 1,000 pounds empty. A trailer like that will only be a bed on wheels.

Keep in mind that the weights listed are for a base trailer that is almost never sold. Add a battery, propane, and a few accessories and the empty trailer can be 500 pounds more than the advertised weight.

Another option would be a utility trailer and load it with tents and gear.
Thanks for the great advice!

We went to see a few used one. One of the rep I talked to said he weighted the used trailer so the advertised weight is the right one, including a full propane tank and all.. but indeed that does not include food, gear and bodies. :)

I just found a lighter trailer, the starflyer 8:

http://www.starcraftrv.com/camping-trai ... loorplans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)1,185
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)200
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)1,800
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)615

Looks very interesting. I've made my wife promise to keep cargo as lean as possible. Now I just have to find a Starflyer 8 with electric brakes and a fridge. I don't care about the furnace and plumbing. It's seems pretty hard to find as people seems to get it quite bare. I found a used one and the guy includes a Coleman and a standalone fridge.. :)

Sorry it's in french but the pictures speaks for themselves. :)

http://www.lespac.com/outremont/vehicul ... 1528D0.jsa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for ther utility trailer, I got a nice one, plus a basket:

But it's a half day work to pack and load all this. The pop-up tent trailer seems so easy compared to our current way... Half, if not more, of the gear is permanently in the trailer. All we need is some linens, food and off we go! :)
Last edited by cythraul on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Forget doing this with the Vibe. Rent a vehicle to tow the trailer.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

beemerphile1 wrote:The Vibe is rated to tow 1,500 in the USA but rated to tow 2,200 in the UK
I've being looking to corroborate this but looks like neither the Matrix nor the Vibe was ever sold outside the North American market with the exception of the Vibe in Japan. The Matrix equivalent in Europe would be the Corolla Verso witch is rated at 1000 kg (2204 lbs.) That's the closest I was able to get to a "confirmation" but it's essentially my understanding from various forums posts and bribe of information I red. :)

However, everyone agrees that North American tow limits are more stringent then European's.

Concerning the Starflyer 8, I went to see a 2014 today and I wish I had a picture to show.. While the bare model is rated at 1185 lbs, the fully loaded version (with electric brakes, furnace, plumbing, full propane tank, full 5 gallon water tank, fridge, jacks, entry step, spare tire, sink, and various gizmos like monoxide and smoke detectors) is rated at 1401 lbs. It's clearly stated not to put more then 399 lbs of cargo. Which is then equal to the GVWR of 1800 lbs of the trailer.

We did an inventory (I spent the better part of the afternoon on the scale with stuff in my hands :) of all the needed gear for our family and we're around 350 lbs. Plus my wife and kids: 260 lbs, we're around 2000 lbs, still under the 2200 lbs. The variable is the food supplies.. We had to estimate this into the 350 lbs with what we had in the house.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

Could not resist.

I ran across a closed highway scale that are used by trucks. The car axles are on the first and second scales while the trailer axle is on the third and here's the results.

It was impossible to take a photo of that display but it reads: 840, 840 & 620 kg for a total of 2300 kg (1852, 1852 & 1367 -- 5070 pounds.)