Removing the side step guards on 09 Vibe

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Infinity-x

Removing the side step guards on 09 Vibe

Post by Infinity-x »

I have another question for any of you 09 owners. I know I post a lot of threads in this section, but hey it keeps the forum active right?

Has anyone successfully removed the center piece under the door trim? For reference, here is a side pic of my car and the piece I am talking about is the one on the bottom between the two side doors.

I assume it is just held in by some screws or maybe some pop-tabs but I checked under my car and had no luck. I know it is a low chance that any of you guys have messed with this piece of trim, but if anyone has been able to successfully take it off please let me know how you did it!! I really want to paint it black because the grey just throws everything off, and tryign to tape and paint around the doors and inside of my car being exposed is just way too risky.
trb

Re: Removing the side step guards on 09 Vibe

Post by trb »

I know it is partially held in place with like 6 plastic push tabs that are about 3/4" wide, and some smaller ones. The base and GT use the same ones, and mine is missing about 3 or 4 of them since the prior owner popped them out to run LED light wiring behind the rocker moldings. I need to order some replacements.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

trb wrote:I know it is partially held in place with like 6 plastic push tabs that are about 3/4" wide, and some smaller ones. The base and GT use the same ones, and mine is missing about 3 or 4 of them since the prior owner popped them out to run LED light wiring behind the rocker moldings. I need to order some replacements.
Thank you! This is information I am looking for. Are they the same style push tabs like the ones which are located under the hood which help hold the bumper in place? The ones you stick a flat head under and pop out?
trb

Post by trb »

There are some like those, # 3 on the diagram, but the big ones are # 6 in this diagram:

From http://www.gmpartsdirect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - look for Body Hardware/Pillars, Rocker & Floor/Exterior Trim/ Rocker molding

The GM parts manual at the dealer shows how many per side with dashes to the locations. I think it was like 6 per side. I don't know for sure how they remove, but I assume they would pull out with some pliers and then get pushed/tapped back in to secure them. All I know is I am missing at least 3 on one side and thus the rocker molding makes noise on the highway.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

Hmm, well they don't come out with a flathead screw driver.. so tomorrow I guess I will try pliers. I don't really want to BREAK them or force them out or else I might end up with a rattle like you are experiencing. Do you plan on replacing yours anytime soon?
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, they are on the list of things to replace. But my local dealer wants $7 each to order them, so I was waiting until I order the replacement seat bottom cushion cover and hatchback bottom panel that I need to replace, to order everything I need. Maybe I'll go ahead and order one or two.

I just looked at them, and I don't see how they can easily be removed without damaging them. On mine, the back two are different, like there is a slot for a screw driver to separate a center part from the outer edge, but the others look like they are just pressed in. The others may be sacrificial plugs that need to be replaced if removed. That could get pricey even at the discount price.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

trb wrote:Yes, they are on the list of things to replace. But my local dealer wants $7 each to order them, so I was waiting until I order the replacement seat bottom cushion cover and hatchback bottom panel that I need to replace, to order everything I need. Maybe I'll go ahead and order one or two.

I just looked at them, and I don't see how they can easily be removed without damaging them. On mine, the back two are different, like there is a slot for a screw driver to separate a center part from the outer edge, but the others look like they are just pressed in. The others may be sacrificial plugs that need to be replaced if removed. That could get pricey even at the discount price.
I just looked at mine, and what do you know - my driver's side has them all intact, yet my passenger side has NONE!! I'm not even kidding, theres just like 7 large holes and I don't even know how the piece is being held in place.

No wonder my car rattles so much, I thought it was the hubcaps at first but once I replaced them with real rims and I still heard a rattle I was a bit confused. :evil: