Rust treatment products

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
KNINE

Rust treatment products

Post by KNINE »

Has anybody tried any of the new rust removal products that are on the market today? I have some surface rust on the chassis of my Impala that I need to get of. Some of it is awkward places that I really can't get to with a wire brush or sandpaper, at least not well enough completely eliminate the rust. I know this isn't a Vibe issue, but my Vibe doesn't give me any trouble, so I have nothing to write bout. ;)
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
DiveNut

Re: Rust treatment products

Post by DiveNut »

Hi KNINE,

I have had good results with POR-15 products on my Duster. They sell a variety of products to stop/neutralize rust and prevent it from recurring.

Pat
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Thanks, I'll check them out. Nice Duster BTW :!:
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

KNINE wrote:Thanks, I'll check them out. Nice Duster BTW :!:
Thanks, she's coming along. How's your 63 project going?

Pat
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

pushead

Post by pushead »

I will second the POR-15. Some great stuff.
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I too had an area that was really inaccessible (front part of the doors on my Mustang) and used the POR15 frame-rail spray...it's essentially POR15 in a can w/a three foot hose you attach to the nozzle. Made it really easy to snake it down into the door frame and spray along the door seam and corner welds.

Also, if you have to do any filler work, they have some stuff called "Restogrip" and "Straightline," both of which can be applied over POR15.

M_C
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

DiveNut wrote:
KNINE wrote:Thanks, I'll check them out. Nice Duster BTW :!:
Thanks, she's coming along. How's your 63 project going?

Pat
Slow. Not much time to work on it in the summer. My Impala isn't in as good a shape as your Duster. So far I dropped the old gas tank and bought a replacement. I dropped the rear end so I can replace the rotten rubber control arm bushings with poly. I need to clean and paint rear end and replace the hard brake lines before re-installing. I figure now is the best time to clean and treat the under side of the car before putting the pretty parts back on. The frame and floor pans just have mild surface rust, no rot holes. I wish I could say the samre for the rear quarter panels.
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

[/quote]
Slow. Not much time to work on it in the summer. My Impala isn't in as good a shape as your Duster. So far I dropped the old gas tank and bought a replacement. I dropped the rear end so I can replace the rotten rubber control arm bushings with poly. I need to clean and paint rear end and replace the hard brake lines before re-installing. I figure now is the best time to clean and treat the under side of the car before putting the pretty parts back on. The frame and floor pans just have mild surface rust, no rot holes. I wish I could say the samre for the rear quarter panels.[/quote]

Yes, I know what you mean about the time. Between work, the kids sports/activities and stuff around the house, there's not much time left to work on the car. I have been trying to squeeze in a hour or two on week nights after the kids hit the hay. But still going slow.

Like you I have a lot more to do. My most pressing task is putting in a new steering gearbox, oilpan and pickup tube/screen. Of course getting them off required me to pull the steering center link, headers, starter etc etc! Good news is I have everything ready to install and hope to get her fired up and create a little ruckus before too long. :evil: Then I start the interior. Gotta gut it, clean up the floor pan and roof (hitting it with POR-15 gloss black) then new carpeting, seatbelts, headliner, dash pad.... :shock:

Good thing I love this stuff LOL!

Be well and post up some pics as your Impala progresses.
Pat

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'm gonna have to look into this Por-15 stuff when I treat the rust on my son's 09 GT sunroof which has rust in the corners only on the sunroof frame. It is out of warranty and I'll be addressing this problem myself. If this stuff is as good as everyone says it is then it should "slow down" in not STOP the rust from getting worse on the sunroof frame. :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

tpollauf wrote:I'm gonna have to look into this Por-15 stuff when I treat the rust on my son's 09 GT sunroof which has rust in the corners only on the sunroof frame. It is out of warranty and I'll be addressing this problem myself. If this stuff is as good as everyone says it is then it should "slow down" in not STOP the rust from getting worse on the sunroof frame. :)
Try it...you'll like it. I swear by the stuff. Follow the instructions, i.e. get loose rust/dirt off etc. Also, a little goes a long way. So your best bet is getting the small cans because because this stuff dries HARD. Put piece of plastic wrap under the lid when sealing the can back up and it'll keep for a little while. Otherwise you'll never get the lid back off again....trust me :x

Pat

KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I plan on trying it out sometime this summer. I'll update when I do.