Painting Rims Advice/Suggestions

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Wolfman213

Painting Rims Advice/Suggestions

Post by Wolfman213 »

Probably going to be painting the rims soon as the bubbling is getting way out of control. I've jumped into other projects before that I've had no experience on and things turn out decent to great. The thing with those are that, aside from my LED cluster swap, I haven't needed them to make the Vibe drivable.

I don't have access to a sandblast machine so I'm looking for a cheap and accessible method. I seen Duplicolor's Paint Stripper (ST100) and am thinking about using that to get all of the paint off the wheels. Has anyone used that before?

I know that I will need to wash them afterwards and get rids of all contaminents. Then scuff them. What grit should I use on the rims?

I'm not a fan of black rims or chrome, so I'm thinking of Duplicolor's Graphite Wheel Paint (HWP102). Without going to wild and costly, I think this will be my better option. I would love to make the rims the color I use for my interior, but I really don't believe that would hold up properly and would cost WAY too much.

I assume the best method would be with no tires on, but how much of an issue would it be to leave the tires on when doing this? Are there any other tips, suggestions, stuff I overlooked that could help me out in doing this with in the quickest turn-around time and still be relatively inexpensive?

Thanks, in advance!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
KNINE

Re: Painting Rims Advice/Suggestions

Post by KNINE »

Steel or aluminum?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Aluminum.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Have you thought about powder-coat? Fairly inexpensive and very durable.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

I say go for it.
A nice stock LOOKING color that you can tell isn't stock (if that makes sense)
Anything would be better than the bubbling :o
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

mac99d wrote:Have you thought about powder-coat? Fairly inexpensive and very durable.
No, I haven't. Always heard it was expensive so I never bothered looking into it. I will now though.
A Psycho Martyr wrote:I say go for it.
A nice stock LOOKING color that you can tell isn't stock (if that makes sense)
Anything would be better than the bubbling :o
lol, yeah that does make sense. I'll def post pictures when I'm done and take some during the process. Yeah the bubbling on mine is getting horrible. Haven't seen others bubbling pics so not sure if mine are worse or better, but those pics will be posted when I do the thread once they are painted.