road kill issues

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Platinum76

road kill issues

Post by Platinum76 »

well a possum took out my driver side grill insert... now tonight a raccoon took out the other side and cracked my bumper cover.. thinking it may be time for a bra... unless anyone has a bumper cover in platinum for an 05 they wanna sell at a reasonable price... lol. HELP !!!!
star_deceiver

Re: road kill issues (Platinum76)

Post by star_deceiver »

Sounds like a small steel bush guard may be a good investment.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Count your blessings that they weren't Deer or worse yet ELK!!!! Now you'd have some serious whining to do!!My guess, maybe you need brighter headlights so you can actually see what's in the road ahead??Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Well.. at least now both sides match!
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...yeah, but his "road kill" hunting license was expired!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
djkeev

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Old Tele man »...yeah, but his "road kill" hunting license was expired!Nah, that never happens! When I lived in the backwoods of Pennsylvania I knew people who intentionally hit deer simply to harvest the food. Road kill was legal take.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

My old supervisor was hit by deer twice in his car. He didn't hit them, they hit him. He was afraid that the DNR may cite him for off-season hunting if another ran into him.A small metal bar may do the trick. Make it come out the holes by the fog lights and contour to the bumper shape. No more small animals will damage it, that's for sure.
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

This metal thingy sounds like it'd be a good idea. Especially where I live. But can you buy them or do you have to custom make them? O_O And how do they look?
My lovely Gambit.
KITT222

Re: (Persephone)

Post by KITT222 »

It'd need to be custom made
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

1) Visualize the metal "cow-catcher" thing on the front of OLD railroad train engines...2) Visualize something "similar" bolted onto the front bumper of your car...sorta like a trailer-hitch in reverse mounting.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
djkeev

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by djkeev »

There are probably laws against such things. Consider....Why are ......hood emblems that stand up off the hood, Such a Mercedes starts, Chrysler stars Oldsmobile emblems, etc. Spring loaded?Exterior rear view mirrors spring loaded to break away towards the rear of the car?Why Do cars fail inspection for rusty fenders and rusty bumper ends?PEDESTRIAN SAFETY!!!If you hit a person, they really don't want that person to get hurt if it can be prevented in any way.You go putting cow catchers on the front of a car to impale objects you encounter on the road...... hmmmmmDaveRusty
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
chadhgraves

Re: (djkeev)

Post by chadhgraves »

I never knew that's why that stuff is spring loaded. Makes sense I guess, but it's still going to hurt like a mother getting hit by a car. Maybe you could put some pillows on the front? Or a small trampoline that they can bounce off of?
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

I was thinking the things they put on the fronts of trucks. >.> And trucks get to put them on. Why wouldn't I?Only trucks are allowed to kill people!
My lovely Gambit.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

dkjeev, this kind:A lot of the pickups around here have them, especially the trucks that get used in the oil fields. If they made it more unsafe for pedestrians, I don't think they'd be street legal.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

If you see that truck coming at you just lay flat. It'll roll right over you! Get up, then continue on your way!
maaadtrip

Post by maaadtrip »

My lower front bumper cover has a mean 'raccoon bite' just where it meets the wheel well liner. Makes for a nasty hole!I'm hoping to find a lower cover in abyss, smooth finish... Haha someone wish me luck!
DennisLee

Re: road kill issues

Post by DennisLee »

Raccoon bite! Do'an wanna hear about no steenking Raccoon bite

Now this heah's a real animal bite!

RIP my little Trib, you were a good car.
Doug14

Re: (djkeev)

Post by Doug14 »

chadhgraves wrote: Makes sense I guess, but it's still going to hurt like a mother getting hit by a car.
Sure does! I got hit from behind by a Matrix while riding my bike, I shattered the whole windshield with my back and dented the hood ,I'm lucky I was on my bike or would definitely have broken legs. The Idiot sped up after then slammed on the brakes (New driver) so I got sent nice and far down the street, couple broken bones, concussion, twisted spine, and road rash! A car our size with a bushguard is a lot less dangerous than a big truck, I would definitely be dead if it were a truck instead of a Matrix.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Was driving my Dodge 2500 pickup this last spring and glanced to my left just in time to see a buck antelope coming at me full speed. He hit dead on my driver door and managed to cause $2500 in damage.

If I had been driving the Vibe he would have come right through the driver window into my face.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Doug - know someone hit in a similar fashion - pain and suffering insurance settlement was about $125,000.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
tkenway

Post by tkenway »

Really late to the party, but that last post doesn't make me feel any better. almost completely dodged a pedestrian on her phone at night who walked into the street in the middle of my turn, but she still managed to end up on my car. Two years ago, with a Mazda 6... She destroyed my windshield, and only broke a collar bone... if that's the settlement numbers, I'd like to crawl into a hole and never return out.