hitch bike rack?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
daninboulder

hitch bike rack?

Post by daninboulder »

Hi. New to this (great) forum. Just bought a 2005 Vibe, very excited. I discovered that Curt makes an easy to install hitch for the Vibe. However, both Yakima and Thule claim they don't have compatile hitch bike racks for the Vibe. Saris (great company) does. Is this the route I should go? I'd like to use my roof rack for a cargo basket, and my Saris trunk rack supposedly works with the Vibe but I feel it would get in the way of rear access to the Vibe. The Saris hitch rack folds down. Any thoughts or previous posts would be welcome, thanks in advance-Dan
djkeev

Re: hitch bike rack? (daninboulder)

Post by djkeev »

Compatible hitch rack??!!!?? If you put in a square receiver hitch (either 2 inch or the smaller 1 1/4 inch) any bike rack designed to slip in should work. It does not depend upon the car in anyway. All the weight of the bike is borne solely by the rack and the hitch receiver unit.Here is a link with almost all brands and styles represented. Choose what style you like (and can afford) and go with it.https://www.google.com/search?...h=785Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

that's what can be frustraitng about Yak/Thule's fit guides. They both claim zero compatibility. I'll probably go with Saris anyway, great company (as are T and Y).
Canker

Re: (daninboulder)

Post by Canker »

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28162If you don't need to use your back seat that seems like the way to go to me. I'm planning to do that for my mtn bike.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

another good option, but I'm retiring soon and want to travel around a bit, so I have a yakima roof rack and a cargo box, soon a hitch rack, and room to haul stuff inside. But I do like that option as well
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Hitch mount bike racks;http://www.discountramps.com/h...s.htmThe one I use so I can tow a trailer at the same time;http://www.discountramps.com/towing-bike-rack.htm
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

OK, so I scored a brand new Curt hitch off eBay for $80 shipped, installed in about 7 minutes. The I scored a Thule Helium hitch rack off Craig's for $90. Think I did pretty good. Also scored some Yakima Rail Grabbers so was able to use my Yak bars and locks, and have a Raptor roof rack, so now have capability of hauling 3 bikes. Next a roof cargo box and it's time to hit the road
455SD

Post by 455SD »

Sorry to get to this post so late. Thule, as you found out does make a compatible rack for the vibe. I've got one that holds up to 4 bikes. They also make a good roof box, that fits the factory roof rack.Very versatile! Have fun in your travels This was from our trip out west - stayed in Colorado Springs on the way back to WV (home). Great trip!
EnvyGreen03
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

awesome
Diskdoctor

Re: (455SD)

Post by Diskdoctor »

Quote, originally posted by 455SD »Sorry to get to this post so late. Thule, as you found out does make a compatible rack for the vibe. I've got one that holds up to 4 bikes. They also make a good roof box, that fits the factory roof rack.What kind of hitch do you have on your Vibe? Even class and receiver size information would be helpful. Any issues with the weight of 4 bikes?A friend of mine got Uhaul to put a hitch on their Vibe and they bought a Thule rack (sorry don't know the model). They were complaining about it bottoming out sometimes. Have you had any problems like that?
Diskdoctor

Post by Diskdoctor »

Quote, originally posted by daninboulder »OK, so I scored a brand new Curt hitch off eBay for $80 shipped, installed in about 7 minutes. The I scored a Thule Helium hitch rack off Craig's for $90. Think I did pretty good. Also scored some Yakima Rail Grabbers so was able to use my Yak bars and locks, and have a Raptor roof rack, so now have capability of hauling 3 bikes. Next a roof cargo box and it's time to hit the roadWhich model of hitch did you get?
daninboulder

Re: (Diskdoctor)

Post by daninboulder »

I found a Curt class 1 on eBay for $79 shipped, 4 bolts took 7 minutes to install. Then found a Thule Helium 2 bike hitch rack on Craig's for $90, so think I did pretty well. I also have a Yakima Raptor roof top bike rack still brand new, will prolly sell it
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

oh sorry, model is Curt 12234 I believe
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

Mine's a Curt class 1, haven't bottomed yet but haven't gone anywhere adventurous yet either. This might be the easiest vehicle for hitch install ever
Diskdoctor

Post by Diskdoctor »

Thanks for the quick response daninboulder!I'm wanting to get a 4 bike rack so I'm pretty sure I need a class 2 receiver hitch.Are there others out there who have put a 4 bike hitch mount rack on their Vibe?
455SD

Post by 455SD »

I've got a Class 1 by Hidden Hitch, 1" square. Thule tip down rack, that holds up to 4 bikes. No problems at all with weight - with the exception of once you tilt the rack down, which allows you to open the entire rear lift gate, wth bikes still on the rack. It then can be heavy to lift back up to put the locking pin in place. If you've only got a couple of bikes on, no problem at all. I''ve been extremely happy with mine. The rack will scrape the ground if you are coming off of, or going up a steep grade, with vey short transition from flat to grade. There is a hard plastic bumper that takes the brunt of the "scraping". No signicant damage to hitch.
EnvyGreen03
BC123

Re: (455SD)

Post by BC123 »

Yes, you can add a hitch (Curt) and bike rack (Yakima) to your Vibe.
daninboulder

Post by daninboulder »

Mine's a Curt class 1, haven't bottomed yet but haven't gone anywhere adventurous yet either. This might be the easiest vehicle for hitch install ever
bh357

Re: (BC123)

Post by bh357 »

BC123, is that your MMBA sticker, or did you buy the rack used?I have a Draw-tite 1 1/4" hitch receiver and am currently using a Saris Thelma 2 rack. The only problem with the Thelma is it doesn't fit a 29er front wheel, so I have to put a "travel wheel" on when I carry my MTB. It also doesn't fit my cyclocross bike when the fenders are installed. On the plus side, it doesn't touch the frame, so no potential for paint damage.My track bike and my road bike ride inside.
BC123

Re: (bh357)

Post by BC123 »

Hey bh. I am from Michigan and the mmba sticker is mine. I used to ride lake shore in novi, island lake and poto.