DIY: Replacing Windshield Washer Pump

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
chadhgraves

DIY: Replacing Windshield Washer Pump

Post by chadhgraves »

So my washer fluid pump for my front windshield went out a long time ago and I finally decided to try to fix it myself. It was pretty easy. I looked online for a replacement and went with the Trico 11-604 pump for $22. It comes with everything you need to install and has plenty of pumping power. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...tails !. Unscrew and move any cladding in the way. If your like me, you can wait till it comes loose and have your tire grind it off while driving down the highway. 2. Locate the bad pump, which was easy for me. The one closest to the front of the car is for the rear window. The one closest to the back of the car is for the front windshield. 3. Pull the hose off of the old pump nozzle and let it drain into a bucket. The oil change shops kept filling my washer fluid reservoir up, so I had a full bucket by the end. 4. Open the cap to get a quicker flow. 5. Disconnect the plug on top of the old pump. The top of my old pump was so corroded that the whole thing came off. 6. Grab a screwdriver and pry off the old pump. 7. Remove the old gasket in the reservoir. The new pump comes with one. 8. Now, you can choose whatever method of wiring in the new one. I modified some clips that came with the new pump to fit in the original plug. You can also clip the old connector off and wire it directly to the new pump's wires, but I kept the original plug on just cause. Just match up the wires to the right ones and you should be good. The blue/yellow wire from the car matched up with the blue/yellow wire on the new pump. It worked for me, but you should check before you tape up and finish the project. It also says to never run the pump dry, so submerge the inflow in some liquid to make sure. 9. Insert the new gasket in the reservoir and push the new pump in so it fits snug in there. 10. Connect the hose back to the new pump. 11. Pour a cup of washer fluid in to check for leaks and to check that the pump works. 12. Tape up your connection and secure any extra wiring. 13. Here's a pic of the rear window pump. Looks like it might be trickier to replace. BONUS. Pictures of the instructions that came with it.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Good post, thanks for the write uphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgUIKYVKmY
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

WOW!!! What in the world happened to your old pump!?!?!?! Chances are you probably don't know but man it looks like that thing blew up!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
sideshowalan

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by sideshowalan »

The pump was exposed to the elements and road debris due to the ground away fender liner.Would recommend that the OP replace that liner or else that new pump will follow the old.Excellent write-up. I may never need to do this but it's always nice to see up close how each component works.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
chadhgraves

Re: (sideshowalan)

Post by chadhgraves »

LOL. That Toby Keith song. I think of that song every time I use a red solo cup.As for the exploded pump, I'm sure the elements wore it down. It's had to deal with road salts, water, ice, snow, 114' summer days, mud, gravel, and everything in between. That plastic that covers the underside of the car is such a piece of junk. I have about 50 zip-ties riddled all over that thing to keep it up in place and from rattling in the wind. I haven't check the prices of getting a replacement for the piece that goes in the wheel well, but I bet it's not very cheap.
chadhgraves

Re: (sideshowalan)

Post by chadhgraves »

So I looked online for a new front passenger wheel well liner and found it. It was on Amazon for $36.99 with $$13.99 shipping. It's on it's way as I speak. I'll make a new post when it gets here and I install it. All the other lining underneath and around the other wheels still looks good. I'll make sure this new one doesn't suffer the same fate as the old one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...tails
dgekiere

Re: (chadhgraves)

Post by dgekiere »

the inner liner is about $22-23 shipped from rockauto.com and partsgeek.com. its kinda late now though if you already bought it. i have bought stuff from both places with good results.
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
chadhgraves

Re: (dgekiere)

Post by chadhgraves »

Damn, you're right. That sucks. By the time I ship it back, wait for a refund, and order the new one, I'll probably save about $15. I'll probably just take my losses on this one and chock it up to experience. I just hesitate when ordering from sites I've never used before, but if it's $25 cheaper, I'd definitely take a chance. Thanks for the info though, I'll check them out for future parts for sure.
striker1211

Re: DIY: Replacing Windshield Washer Pump

Post by striker1211 »

I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the part number. It worked a treat and was less than $20. I made a video of the replacement procedure in case anyone needs more angles but the OPs post was accurate enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5hNieveRW8
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
Vantix95

Re: DIY: Replacing Windshield Washer Pump

Post by Vantix95 »

How difficult was the rewiring and making sure the cables attached between the wiring from the car to the new cables with the part? I'm not too familiar with wiring and don't want to risk anything. Does the part listed in your video Striker fit perfectly? Thanks for the help!